40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• priyaananth
    priyaananth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join as well. I am 40, and need to lose 20 lbs. I was 20 pounds heavier, lost 40, then gained back another 20 which was so depressing. I hope to get back to my original self. Looking for inspiration
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start-Cardio 2 & Core 1"=Done!
  • tgregory2671
    tgregory2671 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow middle agers! Trying to relive my 80s thru hair today! ehl99lmvoaym.jpeg

Just popping in and showing some love to all of you that are on this journey as well!!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    jc5bancwc3kb.jpg

That looks like an excellent workout! Way to go!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There’s still snow on the ground, but the temps are good. Ran the O’Shenanigans 5k race this morning here in town. Didn’t set any new personal records, but enjoyed the run and the atmosphere nonetheless. I skipped the free beer afterwards (the lines were long and I’m impatient), so I’m planning a celebratory beer this evening. Maybe with pizza. :)

This marks the end of run-focused training and the beginning of tri training. I’ll still run more than anything else, but I’ll be swimming and biking more often. I’m still about 15 lbs away from goal, but training requires fuel, so I’m going to eat a little more and accept slower losses through the summer.

• __TMac__
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    There’s still snow on the ground, but the temps are good. Ran the O’Shenanigans 5k race this morning here in town. Didn’t set any new personal records, but enjoyed the run and the atmosphere nonetheless. I skipped the free beer afterwards (the lines were long and I’m impatient), so I’m planning a celebratory beer this evening. Maybe with pizza. :)

This marks the end of run-focused training and the beginning of tri training. I’ll still run more than anything else, but I’ll be swimming and biking more often. I’m still about 15 lbs away from goal, but training requires fuel, so I’m going to eat a little more and accept slower losses through the summer.

I just saw the results of this morning’s race. I was 15/87 in my group AND if I’d matched my personal best from last year, it would have put me on the podium! What the what?!? If I focus on 5Ks this season, maybe I can hit top 3! I can’t even wrap my head around that. Maybe I need to rethink this year’s goals.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

I just saw the results of this morning’s race. I was 15/87 in my group AND if I’d matched my personal best from last year, it would have put me on the podium! What the what?!? If I focus on 5Ks this season, maybe I can hit top 3! I can’t even wrap my head around that. Maybe I need to rethink this year’s goals.

NICE WORK!! Congrats on a strong run and great placement.

You might consider both a run goal and a tri goal for this season. They're certainly not mutually exclusive. You will build aerobic endurance as you train for triathlons, so maybe its as simple as making one of your weekly runs a speed session to build 5k speed. Its a good problem to have! :)
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

You might consider both a run goal and a tri goal for this season. They're certainly not mutually exclusive. You will build aerobic endurance as you train for triathlons, so maybe its as simple as making one of your weekly runs a speed session to build 5k speed. Its a good problem to have! :)

You make a good point. Especially because my tri goals are entirely about participation. I don’t have a time goal in mind. Today is a day of planning, me’thinks.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "freestyle chest & tris"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Race #3 of the Ft. Desoto Triple Crown...Done! I'm very happy with my 30:02 and 1st AG for today's 5K. Now to wait for the results for the series. Because of a mix up earlier this year, they didn't do series awards today. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the results.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

You make a good point. Especially because my tri goals are entirely about participation. I don’t have a time goal in mind. Today is a day of planning, me’thinks.

Your swimming ability puts you well ahead of many people who are sort of new to multisport. Given your recent run training and focus, you are also well positioned there. So I think a basic S/B/R plan will set you up nicely for both triathlons and continued pursuit of a 5k PR this summer.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start-Cardio 1 & Core 1"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    Options

Your swimming ability puts you well ahead of many people who are sort of new to multisport. Given your recent run training and focus, you are also well positioned there. So I think a basic S/B/R plan will set you up nicely for both triathlons and continued pursuit of a 5k PR this summer.

Thanks for the perspective and encouragement! I’ve tweaked the Hal Higdon Intermediate 5K plan to include swimming and biking (took out one easy run and one of the two rest days). After the MahoneySabol 5K in late April, I’ll switch to his Tri 2 plan, which should get me to the summer tri series. Then back to run training for the fall 5Ks.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    SQUATS! lots of 'em...DONE!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids, hot Pilates done. I am surprised that I am still sore from Friday's workout. TMAC, Betty and DJproulx, love your enthusiasm for running. Hi Beeps and Sdereski. Gam3rguy, were the squats due to your job or a workout? Never know with you (lol). Larro, hope you stay around for a bit. Off to play with the new love of my life. My children and other pets are not happy with me giving my time to such a cutie. Have a great day kids.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Happy Monday kids, hot Pilates done. I am surprised that I am still sore from Friday's workout. TMAC, Betty and DJproulx, love your enthusiasm for running. Hi Beeps and Sdereski. Gam3rguy, were the squats due to your job or a workout? Never know with you (lol). Larro, hope you stay around for a bit. Off to play with the new love of my life. My children and other pets are not happy with me giving my time to such a cutie. Have a great day kids.

workout. been avoiding "real" squats. just gonna do 'em.