40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    CG HIIT Week Weightless Wednesday! Simple but soooo effective! Push ups, jump squats, squat thrusts, plank jacks, and some crazy squat thrusts with fast jack squats....different, but definitely got the HR up! I'm off today so I may need to get in a round of disc golf, a little climbing, and some painting in the workshop. Happy Hump Day everyone!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Sooo many meetings today. Totally burned me out. Couldn’t even handle going to the gym and seeing people, so I hid in the basement and rode the bike. I feel better now.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start-Cardio 1 & Core 2"=Done!
  • MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Sooo many meetings today. Totally burned me out. Couldn’t even handle going to the gym and seeing people, so I hid in the basement and rode the bike. I feel better now.

Sometimes being alone is the best thing for us. And you still got your workout in, that's great.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Very frustrating day at work yesterday. Year end has been crazy busy this year, with a lot of other stuff piled in there.
    Did finally manage a 5 mile run. I so needed that!
  • __TMac__
    Options

Sometimes being alone is the best thing for us. And you still got your workout in, that's great.

Most definitely. I’m an introvert in a job that requires a lot of face time, so the alone time is a requirement for my mental health.

3m tempo run. I was fooled by the sunshine and warmish thermometer reading in the kitchen window, and the wind chill was a surprise. I never really warmed up.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "22 Minute Hard Corps Special Ops: Resistance"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    1000m in the pool.

The lifeguard told me she liked my suit. You mean, my sports bra and compression shorts? Why, thank you! :D Guess I don’t need to worry they’ll tell me I can’t swim without a regular suit on.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, managed another 5mile run yesterday. Started out it was sunny but windy. Then it started to snow and blow and when I finished it was sunny again. But holy wind!

Woke up to a winter wonderland. WTH?!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Trying to refresh my memory on all of the old material from my martial art - found out recently they expanded the long distance program to include what I was studying, so taking half of my workouts and going through my old materials (it's been nearly 10 years) followed by an hour of strength training.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids,

I've declared to myself that Spring is Here, even if it snowed today and its going to be only 40 degrees tomorrow. I'm doing my long bike ride and transition run outside tomorrow, even if I freeze my *kitten* off. :)
  • ryanboriskin
    ryanboriskin Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hit 40 and started a cut (4 months and running). 3x a week weights and swimming. Making some progress but definitely takes more time and effort at this age! Great to see everyone else here gunning for it. Hard to stay motivated when everything takes more time but I have to have that cheat meal each week. Sometimes if I’m lucky I’ll go 2 weeks but with work, 2 daughters and errands it’s a beast! So I look for the little wins: a little weight loss? If none then try body fat machine. No change, measure waist. Not what I wanted, check progress photos. Not working, then do a kick tail workout. It’s a bag of options when the results aren’t as fast for us impatient ones. What are your tricks?
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Hit 40 and started a cut (4 months and running). Hard to stay motivated when everything takes more time but I have to have that cheat meal each week. .......
    ........So I look for the little wins: a little weight loss? If none then try body fat machine. No change, measure waist. Not what I wanted, check progress photos. Not working, then do a kick tail workout. It’s a bag of options when the results aren’t as fast for us impatient ones. What are your tricks?

Welcome, Ryan. Agree that progress often takes more time than I'd like. I often try to look back (or forward) at a longer time period so that I get a better perspective. Regarding weight: In my case, its easy to see a 2 week period with no loss and get frustated, but looking back at a 3 month window I realize that I've dropped 9 lbs since mid January, which is a more satisfying measurement of progress. I also monitor my fitness in a training tool that contains a performance management chart that tracks my Fitness, Fatigue and Form(Race Readiness) on a daily basis. That tool clearly shows if and how much I'm progressing, which is highly motivating.

Finally, regarding what to do when I'm feeling stalled, I try to change something (eat only fish as my protein, drop a carb serving during one of my daily meals, more sleep at night, etc.) and I give that change at least a few days to see if I feel better or see results on the scale. Its no secret weapon, but tweaking my diet often seems to help keep me focused and remaining positive about my long term plan to reach my race day fitness goal.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start-Special Ops: Cardio & Special Ops: Core"=Done!
  • BettyM1017
    Options

I call that moment TMI..Too Much Interaction!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hi Kids,

I've declared to myself that Spring is Here, even if it snowed today and its going to be only 40 degrees tomorrow. I'm doing my long bike ride and transition run outside tomorrow, even if I freeze my *kitten* off. :)

What? No swimming??
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Friday was the last day of CG HIIT Week! Oh my, that was some serious work! We did a lot of sandbell runs. However, the trainer ran out of 20 lb sandbells, so I got to use 2 12-lb sandbells each time. Did I mention that we did a LOT of sandbell sprints?!

Oh, and let's follow that with The Little Manatee River Run on Saturday. That was actually a very fun OCR. I can't wait for the next one in May!
  • FeliciaFancy
    FeliciaFancy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi to all the cool kids!

I turned 40 back in February and am excited about my journey into my 40's.

I decided to lose weight and get fit about 1 year ago, mainly due to my Dad's diabetes diagnosis making me realise that I need to look after my body but also my size 18 (UK) clothes were starting to get a bit tight!

I started by eating less and making sure that I hit my 10,000 step target everyday and now that my fitness is getting better I have recently joined the gym. I have lost 3 stone/42 pounds/19kg since May 2017 and I am hoping to lose another 10 lbs then maintain my weight.

I've been using MPF for food logging for about 6 months but haven't really used the community so I thought it was about time I did.

• Djproulx
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hi Kids,

What? No swimming??

Haha, good point. I had to shut down the bike effort at 2.5 hours (40 miles) into a planned 3.5 hour ride. Despite neoprene toe socks in my shoes, my feet went numb, and started to turn yellowish from no blood flow. That's as close as I want to get to frostbite.

My friend texted me today asking if I wanted to go for an open water swim at our local lake. This guy is doing the Escape from Alcatraz race in SF Bay in June, so he's anxious to start cold water swim training. I politely declined his offer. :)

This week will be better with temps set to warm up by next weekend. Fingers crossed.
  • elanda97
    elanda97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please add me. I can use any motivation