40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I have no information to offer, Jules, sorry.

All I know is from personal experience - being a cardio gym rat for 25+ years did NOTHING for my "shape". Not. A. Thing. I'm sure my heart was in good condition, though! I still do some cardio, for 3 reasons:

1. I am a lifelong asthma sufferer and in order to keep my lungs from regressing to an early death, cardio is necessary.
    2. I use cardio as a way to manage my day-to-day stress. I have a high-stress job and cardio reduces the stress coursing through my body.
    3. It makes me feel good.

About a year ago, though, I realized that cardio was NOT giving me the "SHAPE" that I wanted. If I want a different SHAPE, then I have to do things differently. And, as it turns out, the aesthetics *is* what I'm wanting.

So, for me, that meant putting heavy weight-lifting back into my exercise equation. In order to make the necessary time for weight-training, it meant that I had to give up much of my (beloved) cardio.

Now, I lift weights 3 x per week. And I do cardio once-per-week....maybe more if I have the time, but, in 6 weeks, I've only managed cardio 1 x per week.

My shape has changed in the last year for ONLY 2 reasons:

1. I have reduced how many calories I am eating - which means that I am losing body fat.
    2. I am doing heavy-lifting - which means I am preserving my muscles while I am losing body fat.

Alas, by Jan or Feb, 2013, I will have the hourglass shape I am seeking. My muscles will be visible and there won't be a layer of fat (under which they are hiding).

That's it.

For "shape-change", I don't believe in cardio. And, for weight loss, I believe it is strictly calories in vs. calories out....if you are expending MORE calories than you are ingesting, your body weight will come down. To make SURE the "weight" that you are losing is "fat" and not "muscle", I believe you need to be lifting heavy while eating your calorie deficit.
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Sound to me like you have a great deal of info!!

It also appears to be working for you just fine. I'm just trying to wrap my head around minimal cardio. As I actually am in a love/hate relationship with my elliptical at the moment, I find this intriguing. :love:

Thanks!
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Checking in to say that I ran the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon on Saturday/Sunday. I was in the last group to go at 10:25 pm and crossed the finish line about 2 hr 8 min later, and 19 years after the last time I ran a half. Fun experience with Disney characters throughout the race. Lots of people with over 14,000 runners. I wanted to see if I could do something in my 40's that I did in my 20's and I did. Felt great, but I don't think I have it in me to do another one. Maybe in my 60's. I think they announced the oldest participant as 74 years old!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    of course you have it in you ham. Just gotta keep doing it! One of my friends from running camp is 84 and runs the NYC marathon every year. She would run the **** Beardsley Half marathon at the end of camp week each year as well. He name is Joy. We call her "the JOY of running". :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my weight-training done, today. Wasn't easy....still suffering DOMs from Monday.

But, it's done.

And, I've lost 11 lbs since end-of-September, so my "cut" is also going well.

I think I only have 10 lbs to lose, but once I get there, I may decide a little more fat loss might be beneficial.

We shall see!

GO KILL IT 40+ club!
  • JulesAtkinson1
    Options
    Got my workout in early. I'm digging getting up early to work out versus going after work. I'm sure there are benefits to both, but I have to say it feels good at the end of a stressful workday to be able to just GO HOME.:heart:

Here's to hopping back on the wagon! :drinker:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    C'mon 40+ club....let's get more "busy" in here!

Where ARE you?????????????

I'm going to get my weight-training in, today. I hope to get my cardio in tomorrow. The rest of the weekend is busy with kidlet activities!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Heck, even my teenaged grandkids think I am cool. LOL
  • hatsdown
    Options
    Hey now. 42 years old here. But, I am not cool... But, if this club has a cool t-shirt to go alone with it, maybe that will help...
    BTW, as far as cool goes,, I vote RILEAMOYER for President of the Club. Damn.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am 58. Not sure how cool I am but I am definitely fit and over 40.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 with two toddler boys, so I feel like I am 25 most days and 100 every now and then. Lol!

I am currently doing the ChaLean Extreme workouts with three of my 40-something friends here on MFP. And I agree with hatsdown, my friend Rilea should be president of the club!! She ROCKS!! :D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my weight-training in and done. Yay!

I'm going to book club, tonight, and cannot WAIT to ingest some alcohol! Yay!

I'll get my long-day-cardio done tomorrow morning. Yay!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to the weekend so I can go "running"...not liking these shorter days at all :(
  • JulesAtkinson1
    Options
    I am planning my Thanksgiving menu. Both of my children will be home and my Marine son is bringing a buddy. They have already put in their requests and let me just say there is not one low cal, low fat thing on their menu.:noway:
    Y'all pray for me, hear? :sad:
  • JulesAtkinson1
    Options
    So my husband, who is the bestest hubby in the world, decided I needed a reward for going to the gym every morning this week before work, decides to bring home some Fudge Stripe cookies, which are my favorite, and therefore, my kryptonite. :noway:

I decide to buck up and resist, only eating 3 (150cal) a day as a snack at night. I'm cool like that. :glasses:

They should have lasted longer than a day, right? :bigsmile:

But, check it out, I didn't eat them all. He did. :laugh:

I must say that's one way to kick temptation to the curb! :wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Eek on a 'kryptonite' reward! Tell hubby jewelry is a better choice...

I got my cardio in, and it went MUCH better than last week! Thank goodness. Next Saturday I have to teach, so won't get my cardio in then....have to figure out where I can squish it in this week!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Reward for going to the gym, cookies? I would have thought new work out clothing, or a fit bit. IDK, maybe it is me.

On the up side, he is doing something for you because he is proud of you. That is awesome.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and finding out the weight really IS harder to keep off in my 40s!
  • jjpavio
    jjpavio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think being British is a barrier. I'm quite certain even Brits get to be middle aged, cool or otherwise :happy: I think being middle aged is the key criterion here.

I'm 46 - mother of a 19 yr old son & 17 yr old girl, and a wife to a perfectly lovely husband. I'm struggling with weight loss as well, and also hope to minimize or forestall age and obesity related illness. Of no consequence all - I have dual citizenship, which means I think eating meat pie covered in gravy a really awesome meal.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 43, mom to 6 and 4 year old boys and a cool wanna be. I was a cool aunt before I had kids so maybe I can get it back. I am back on here for the last almost 3 months with a fitbit on my hip for a week now. My job is p/t, all desk work and then I drive my kids to activities in the afternoons so many sedentary hours each day. I have been a walker/runner most of my life and have spent some time with a trainer in the past so have some muscles but not motivated enough to get back with the trainer right now. Not enough hours in the day to do everything that interests me but especially volunteer work, studying Mandarin, reading, genealogy, home decorating, and crafts (never make it there any more). I am right in the middle of a healthy BMI but I look more proportionate 10 pounds lighter and that keeps me in a healthy BMI so that's where I am headed. I live in the Denver metro so get to enjoy my exercise outdoors most days.

Anybody decorating this weekend?