40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    I had to work, today, so missed my lifting session....but, will squeeze in some sort of weight-training tomorrow morning. Somehow I am down to about 1 x honest weight-training session a week and that isn't enough. 3 seems like too many - I am feeling injured too much of the time. And one is too few. I should be doing it twice per week while keeping up with my cardio and turning my 3rd weight-training time into something like "yoga" or "stretching".

Getting old pretty much sucks and I don't like that I feel like my peak was 5 years ago. Blech.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Getting old pretty much sucks and I don't like that I feel like my peak was 5 years ago. Blech.

I feel your pain, @Beeps2011. But I try to remember that getting old is a privilege that not everyone gets to experience. We've all lost friends or family who left this earth too soon.

• snake_man_32
    snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is there a preferred set-rep range for over 40 lifters? A lot of the programs I’ve seen seem to be for young people, with low reps (4-6) and high loads.

In my case, I have a bad right knee and a left shoulder that seems to have never fully healed from a rotator cuff injury 5 years ago.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "LIIFT4: Shoulders – LIIFT Intervals"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    I had to work, today, so missed my lifting session....but, will squeeze in some sort of weight-training tomorrow morning. Somehow I am down to about 1 x honest weight-training session a week and that isn't enough. 3 seems like too many - I am feeling injured too much of the time. And one is too few. I should be doing it twice per week while keeping up with my cardio and turning my 3rd weight-training time into something like "yoga" or "stretching".

I think the new plan is PERFECT! I agree, as we age, we do have to change things up as our bodies just can't heal / recover like it used to. Having said that, we can still be in great shape, by doing the right things. :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Ran yesterday. I've been so darn busy, that it seems like I am getting 1 run in / week. Am off again tomorrow for a work conference. Travelling for work is becoming a PITA. Upon my return, I am babysitting my grandkids for the weekend as their parents attend an out of town wedding. That will keep me running. lol.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    Have been keeping very busy, trying to stay on top of all my house chores (inside and out), work stuff, race planning and family reunion planning. All happening this month. In there, we are going to be away for a week, while my son has surgery. If you are the praying type, I ask that you keep my son in your prayers. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor a week and a half ago. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this, I really hope everything is ok with your son.
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hey folks, newer here. Half way to my current goal. Tall guy, formerly athletic, fast progress spurred by a horrible acid reflux stupidity breakfast, where I dropped 10 pounds in a week.

6'6"
    SW: 315
    CW: 282
    GW: 245?

Recently averaging 2.7#s loss per week. Hiking, treading water. MFP members urged me to eat more!

Suggested Protein Goals. All over the map! .7 grams per pound; 1 gram per pound; or more. Hoping to retain 70%, 80% or more of my current muscle. May look into protein powders. Not sure if limited amino acids intake is warranted as I start home weightlifting for upper body.

Any suggestions appreciated.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Is there a preferred set-rep range for over 40 lifters? A lot of the programs I’ve seen seem to be for young people, with low reps (4-6) and high loads.

In my case, I have a bad right knee and a left shoulder that seems to have never fully healed from a rotator cuff injury 5 years ago.

It mostly depends on whether you are looking to build strength, muscle or endurance. Check over in the fitness and exercise forum. There are some very knowledgeable people that can help you.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I quit going heavy about a year ago after getting hurt a few times in the last few years. I use lower weights, but higher sets and reps. (Example:10 sets of 10 on squats, deads) At 46, I'm no longer looking to build massive muscle. I just want to keep what I have and remain healthy.
    Everyone is different and no set program fits all. Play with it a bit and see how you feel.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Today, I “rest”.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options

Check out this book - "The Barbell Prescription; by Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker. Specifically aimed at those over 40. Several workout routines in there that might work for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+barbell+prescription&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS704US704&oq=the+bar&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j35i39j0j69i65j0.4159j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jonathon Sullivan also has a YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/greysteel

I recommend consulting with a certified trainer or a doctor for recommendations on lifting without exacerbating your knee and shoulder issues.

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello Cool Kids! I'm so happy to see so many of my old friends still active on this group. After several years of injuries and recoveries that whacked my physical abilities (shattered foot followed by plantar fascitis in the other, followed by one thumb surgery, then the other!). I finally have my body back and pretty functional. Now it's time to rehab. I can't say what it means to know you all are here!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm in! I'm 49, and my goal is to be more fit and at a non-overweight bmi by 50. I'm a high school social studies teacher with a kid and husband for whom I'd like to stick around, y'know? I come from short lived people. I like WERQ and Zumba for exercise, and I'm pondering the rowing machine.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Whoops! I see now that the initial thread is from 2012. Not sure if this is still active +

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    AbbeyDove wrote: »
    Whoops! I see now that the initial thread is from 2012. Not sure if this is still active +

It's active. Just keep checking in and posting as you like.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Legs"=Done!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hello Cool Kids! I'm so happy to see so many of my old friends still active on this group. After several years of injuries and recoveries that whacked my physical abilities (shattered foot followed by plantar fascitis in the other, followed by one thumb surgery, then the other!). I finally have my body back and pretty functional. Now it's time to rehab. I can't say what it means to know you all are here!

Hello!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I lifted today. BOOM!