chronic constipation--please help!

Options
So, I have been so severely backed up and I cannot make sense of it. I'm going crazy and getting depressed because of this.

Here's some background...

Stopped running 60-75 minutes daily b/c gym closed, so instead did road running for 20-35 minutes a day (too hard on my shins)

I eat enough fiber---over enough, always have

I drink at least 60-100oz of water (I'm only 4'11 and ~100 pounds)

My weight has gone up 5 pounds despite being at a deficit

When I do poop it feels incomplete

I've tried an enema and i "pooped" out the water but barely any poop.

I am strongly against laxatives but I'm desperate so I tried smooth move tea--got it today and had a cup. I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll get relief.

Does anyone have this problem? What works for you? Eating is incredibly uncomfortable in this state and my stomach is ALWAYS bloated lately. I go to sleep and in the middle of the night it's like it gets worse NOT better. I am at wit's end and soooo down about this. Please help!

Replies

• Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds - put in yogurt or smoothies or straight up.

Smooth move

Magnesium

Swiss Kriss

that's all I got... :tongue:
  • stephanie1187
    Options
    i have the same exact problem...hopefully someone has an answer!
  • hereiskristina
    Options
    I have had IBS for years yoyoing between one extreme and the other with the pooping and the thing that always gets me on track is Miralax. It is about $20 for the big bottle but if you take it for one or two days you should be back on track. Don't be surprised if you have loose stools though for the first few movements. Good luck, I hope you have relief soon!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    perhapsa dr is in order...sometimes other types of female issues are hidden by the constipation.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    forgot to mention...I'VE TRIED MIRALAX, I've also tried probiotics, omega 3, flaxseed, upping/reducing fiber, drinking more water. Nothing happens.
  • beckyyoungers
    Options
    Try cutting out animal products for a few days - meat, cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc. Replace those with beans, lentils, veggies, etc. Cut out any and all refined grains. Drink plenty of water with your meals so it latches on to the fiber you are eating.

And...I don't know about your caffeine habits, and this is probably unhealthy advice...but a cup of strong coffee always makes me go. I don't get constipated, but I do notice that within half hour of drinking coffee, I have to poop.

ETA: I average about 50-60 grams of fiber per day. I think the RDA for fiber is way too low.
  • djd8788
    Options
    Have you tried probiotics? There are lots on the market. I buy mine at Costco. Take one every night. It works for me. You can also try taking a licorice tablet before meals; I use DGL, which I got at the local health food store.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There is some Yogi Get Regular Tea that works better than Smooth Move b/c Smooth Move just makes you move not get back on track don't forget to drink the water with Smooth Move that is what I used at first but I find that Spinach, broccoli, and romaine lettuce will make me go now that I am straightened out.
    Options
    Try cutting out animal products for a few days - meat, cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc. Replace those with beans, lentils, veggies, etc. Cut out any and all refined grains. Drink plenty of water with your meals so it latches on to the fiber you are eating.

And...I don't know about your caffeine habits, and this is probably unhealthy advice...but a cup of strong coffee always makes me go. I don't get constipated, but I do notice that within half hour of drinking coffee, I have to poop.

ETA: I average about 50-60 grams of fiber per day. I think the RDA for fiber is way too low.

Thanks! I drink coffee every morning. I get at least 50 grams of fiber a day effortlessly. I think I'll do the animal product thing and cut out dairy--I don't eat meat so that's not an issue. I worry about the beans--they make me so gassy and it causes pain.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Could your fat intake be to low? Or calories too low?
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My son has had this problem in the past. if you use miralax you need to do it regularly over a period of time, it is not a quick fix. Cut back or eliminate cheese and dairy. Lots of water and fresh fruits and veggies.
  • nottagewell
    Options
    I have had this for years too and its a constant battle.
    However try putting LSA (Linseed, Sunflower and Almond) powder in some low fat yoghurt, cereal, smoothies and in salad. It can be put in anything really. Its a wholegrain so should help move your bowels.

Sometimes too much fibre in your diet can also block you up, so you may be getting too much. It can be difficultgetting the right balance, I know.

GOOD LUCK!
    Options
    Have you tried probiotics? There are lots on the market. I buy mine at Costco. Take one every night. It works for me. You can also try taking a licorice tablet before meals; I use DGL, which I got at the local health food store.

I'm taking acidophilus pearls. They don't seem to be helping much :/ A licorice tablet? where do i get those?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try Metamucil. It is not a laxative. Make sure you drink lots of water. Allocate time if things take time.

And see a doctor to make sure that you are not having some kind of blockage, or intestinal problem.
  • Chrisborro
    Options
    Eat a bag or 2 of sugar free chocolate... I can tell u i wont be doing that again
    Options
    Could your fat intake be to low? Or calories too low?

calories are definitely not too low. I USUALLY eat 2000+ every single day but I can't manage that right now. i've been eating 1600 for 2 days, so not very long at all and that's not low for someone my size.

My fat intake could increase for sure. It probably should increase actually.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Since I cannot see your diary I'm going to list a few culprits that may be hurting you:

The following are a few things that if you eat too much of (and for some even a little does it) will cause constipation:
    Cheese/dairy
    Carbohydrates (you retain more water when you eat more carbs)
    NSAIDS i.e. Advil, Naprelan, Vicodin, etc.
    Other medications
    Protein (if on low carb/high protein diet)

For me the best thing is to make sure I drink at LEAST 2 liters of water a day and 2 salads a day. If you want some OTC help my GI Dr. recommends Colace as it is non-addictive. I suggest the salad route as it's the best and least painful option. Best of luck!

Edit: I also recommend fish oil in your diet. It will help "move" things along if you know what I mean!
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multivitamin? Believe it or not those can bung some people up,
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    buy a bottle of magnesium citrate at the store ..its about 2 bucks..i call it the liquid plummer for human intestines
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    One, you really should if possible consult a doctor, you are doing everything right so it could be a medical issue, please don't ignore it. Also if you have health coverage get some allergy testing done, my grandson is celiac/dairy intolerant and for years they treated him symptomatically for IBS and all sorts of crap. Then he got off dairy and now he's fine as long as he is religious on the staying out of it. Mine was gluten, but it could be anything. It isn't something to take lightly, I like smooth move tea, it's a bit gentler than a lot of laxatives out there even though it has senna. Take care, and keep trying to find out the real cause.