chronic constipation--please help!

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yeah do a laxative. You'd be using it for what it's designed for. I was blocked up for a week before trying one and it worked so well.

If it continues see your doc because constipation *can* be fatal if left unchecked.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I've read every post--thanks everyone for all of the ideas. MY diet includes eggs, egg whites, about a scoop of protein powder each day. 2 slices of whole grain bread, may be 1 wheat tortilla, popcorn. Cottage cheese, yogurt, and maybe 1-1.5 oz cheese. 1-2 processed snacks a day. Veggies, fish, and spices.
  • TyneeKitty
    Options
    I have IBS and suffer a lot from impaction (sever constipation) I would see your doctor and see about getting movicol (uk brand name) which is something you drink everyday 3 times a day (tastes vile but helps move it along) fiber doesnt help as much as people seem to think it does. Physical exercise does help the end bit when peristalsis stops but then when you need to poop, you need to poop.

Hope you feel better soon

Just seen your above post, i would try and cut back on the dairy especially cheese that stuff really backs me up, so dont know if it might be the same for you
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, MFP!

love4fitnesslove4food, kudos to you for posting what some might consider an embarrassing question!

It sounds like you may need to detoxify your body. With body building (and athletics in general), we consume an absurd amount of supplements and food in sporadic fluctuation throughout the year.

Hope I've helped you out!

Reading them now--Thanks so much! I also want to add that I don't take many supplements--just vitamins, omega 3, selenium, and l-tyrosine.

Yeah, I used that as an example of how much stuff we put into our bodies (all types of food included). I detox and I only supplement with Whey, fish oil, and a sports MV. It's not one of those things you do all of the time, I would suggest 4 times a year at most (that's really all you need).
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eat a bag or 2 of sugar free chocolate... I can tell u i wont be doing that again

Yeahhhh... did that once by mistake. Horrible....
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It now time for you to see a gastroenterologist. Do not delay, if you have tried all these things and nothing works you may have an undiagnosed medical condition. Remember colon ca is #2 cancer diagnosed each year. Not saying thats it mind you, but time to take a look, and yes I am an RN.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You need to set aside time to try to go, or to relax with a magazine, I have three little ones so I set my alarm for 4:30 am so i know no one will be up needing my attention. "Try" at the same time every day...

I have also had success with taking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegaer every night..i mix it in 6 oz of water and chug it...I swear I feel more regular! and added bonus is it KILLs your appetite!

Good luck!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doc. Maybe a partial bowel obstruction.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've had issues like that my whole life. I cut gluten out of my diet and I'm like a new woman. No more blockage! I'd see a doctor but they will more than likely tell you that it's something in your diet.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Physillum helps make things "slippery" (wash the spoon and glass right away when you are done) it coats the surface and helps everything slip and slide out.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    100% juice.......... grape juice seems to be the best.............. drink as much as you can, and don't get far from a bathroom.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hot coffee on an empty stomach and chase it with water! :-)
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Good suggestion about the fats. We need fats to keep ourselves regular (besides lots of other reasons). When we change our bad eating habits so many feel they have to cut their fat intake to a bare minimum and then they have a problem going.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Might help to up your fat content, are you meeting the minimum requirements for your macros? It may help to add more healthy fats in the form of omega 3, olive oil, flax seed oil, or coconut oil to give you a healthy dose of good fats. it is often overlooked as a source of aiding in that department but it does certainly play a role in constipation.
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    buy a bottle of magnesium citrate at the store ..its about 2 bucks..i call it the liquid plummer for human intestines

Too funny, I call it liquid dynamite. :laugh:

I too have had this problem, the Smooth Move tea helps and I have also used TAM herbal laxative, both have always
    worked well for me.
  • christylynnrn
    christylynnrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Upping fat intake is a good idea. I also would suggest seeing a doctor. If laxatives are not helping and you feel like when you go to the bathroom it is "incomplete", you may have an impaction or bowel obstruction. If you are impacted laxatives are not going to help, and sometimes regular enemas will not help either. If you have an obstruction you definitely will need medical attention. Best of luck!
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that said a Dr needs to be consulted. (DO IT if possible) Now I don't know if it's coincidence or not so I'm just gonna throw this out. I had this problem awhile back, and even did Oral saline laxative. (Like Mag citrus it's fast and not to be taken unless you're home) But even then like your enema I mostly rid myself of the water. About two days later when I just went abount my day I had Starbucks "perfect oatmeal" (PLAIN) and coffee for breakfast, and literally about 30 minutes later my tummy went into major convulsions and I had no choice but to find a bathroom quickly! and the rest is history... I eat it about every 2 weeks now and I have no more issues. Like I said it may be coincidence so take it for what it's worth.
  • nashienash
    nashienash Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/molasses.html

blackstrap molasses

also, walnuts can help but only if you are sure you do not have issues with diverticulitis
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    coconut oil. a tablespoon with coffee. yummy, good for you, and will get things moving. also psyllium capsules.

best to use natural oils and fibers, rather than chemicals.

good luck.
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Get a colonic if you want to clean out your system, its fast and effective