Secret Motivation...got me here

Options
jbpretty
jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
A few years ago my daughter (now 17 years old) wanted some clothes from Lululemon for Christmas, little did I know, this would be a new motivation for me. We went into the store to pick her out some new clothes, and my 220+ pound self was very discouraged to learn that even if I wanted to, there was no way I could ever fit anything in the store without looking like a stuffed sausage and feeling terribly uncomfortable. This was yet another eye-opening-slap-in-the-face-wake-up-call for me. YOU BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS JAMIE! I was tired of embarrassing myself and as an introvert, this is a major deal. :(

So anyway, as one of my secret motivations (I did have the odd retail person ask), I printed out and taped a Lululemon logo to the back of my debit card to remind myself at the till why I wasn't going to buy that ice cream-cone or that Kit-Kat bar, or WHATEVER! Sometimes it just reminded me I HAD a goal and that I needed to remember it. It also kept me focused on the fact that those Lululemon clothes are pricey and maybe I didn't need the little junk I might want to buy (edible or not), MY reward would come!

Well, about two weeks ago I went back into the same store I was in years ago just to look. I was looking at their tops and bottoms, their sizes range from size 2 through 12, when a woman asks if she can help me. I smile and tell her I'm just looking then I hesitantly ask her if I might be able to try on a pair if pants. At this point I am terrified because of the past and I truly have no idea what size I should try on. So anyway, I tell her I don't know what size size I am and she looks at my body, and suggests a size 4...

I could stop writing right there because that's really the end. That's where I start crying... Not in the store. I'm crying inside. No, in the store I am thinking this woman needs a hug, I will try them on because I'm a sucker for punnishment and this might be my new favorite store if she's right. I go into the dressing room and I try them on and they FIT. It's even verified from the woman working in the back! THE SIZE 4 LULULEMON ASTRO PANT FIT!!!!!!!!! A year a half ago nothing fit, now look at me! NOW I CRY...outwardly.

Still as I write this, I cry.

8D Another great non-scale victory! (Thanks everyone for your help.)

Replies

• justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Holy inspiration! I am only 19 years old but I hate shopping! I always look terrible in clothes...even the XL shirts and size 13 pants....:( I really love reading stories like this! :) can't wait til I have one of my own!
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    LOVE this! Well done & what a lovely story :)
  • Mdtrent2012
    Options
    Thats so inspiring! Congrats on your sucess! I can't wait to have that feeling! : )
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    How amazing !!! Congrats on your size 4!!! A few years back I had gone with my friend to a Fredericks of Hollywood and I was only looking at some lingerie and the sales chick came over and said we dont carry your size in the store, you have to shop online for plus sizes.....I simply told her, I'm not shopping, my friend is. I had to leave the store because I refused to let anyone see me cry. I was so hurt and felt like an idiot. Fast forward to today, although I still have about 30 pounds left till my goal, I can walk in there and buy whatever I wish in a non plus size. Whoohoo!!
  • fishercarrie
    Options
    I am so thankful for all of these posts. I have felt the same way about other stores like 21, Express, Victoris Secret; to name a few. The logo on debit card is a great idea. I am copying you and doing the same thing. :)
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    Very cool! :)
  • chanson104
    Options
    That is an awesome story! I am so happy for you.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    What a great story, thank you for sharing and congratulations!
  • msShari1
    Options
    Shopping is something I can relate to! I loved your story and can't wait for my moment. I'll be following your lead and adding a "secret" motivation in my purse too! Congrats!
  • kphillips83
    kphillips83 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started tearing up reading your story! VERY good job!
  • jbpretty
    Options
    I am so glad my story can be motivational to others because I know how important it is to feel that. :)

I truly hated the feeling of having to explain why I'm in a particular store...like "I know your clothes don't fit, I'm not shopping for me". I wouldn't have that problem if I walked into a men's store, I'm sure they'd assume it wasn't for me and not bother insulting me. Anyway, this isn't suppose to be negative, it's about feeling good about yourself. You can totally do this. I'm almost where I want to be...I just have to keep my eye on the prize. My next goal is boudouir pictures. 8o

Btw...the debit card thing really works! :) Youll see.
  • jbpretty
    Options
    I started tearing up reading your story! VERY good job!

:)
  • megansoriano
    Options
    Oh, no I just hate how stories like this make me cry like a big baby! This is how I feel walking into Forever 21 and can't even fit into the "Large" size dresses. I love their dresses and one day I will be able to fit into them! Thank you for the motivation :) I am to stinking cute to not be able to sport an absolutely ridiculously adorable dress! What an amazing accomplishment, way to go!!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing! !
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Marvelous, congrats :)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    What a great, inspirational story! You have so much to be proud of!! And I love the debit card idea!! Thanks for sharing!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Really nice story, I hope you continue your new life style for ever. :tongue:
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    WOW well done you!
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    WOW!! I just looked up those pants!! Boy I sure hope you bought them! They are super cute!! Congratulations!!!!!!
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is such a wonderful story and so inspiring. Thank you for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!