GIRLS ONLY!!

Options
What exercises do you do when you are on your period?
I was going to go to the local pool but can't now.
(I use pads btw)

Replies

• alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I usually focus on things that don't have me bouncing around too much.. like weights, squats, push-ups. when cramps are really bad, I admit I have a hard time getting motivated. On those days, I keep my calorie intake on the low side. However I never go lower than 1100 calories a day.
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    I do at home workouts, so I can pretty much do my workouts as normal. when the cramps are intolerable though, I will stick with low cardio workouts, like Cardio Recovery in Insanity or Stretch 40 from Turbo Fire :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I do my same routine. Mainly 30 day shred. Going to be mixing in some new routines now though b/c I'm getting several new DVDs in the mail this week. :-).

Edit: I also eat at about the same levels, which is around 1300-1400 plus exercise calories.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise. Plain and simple. It's hard for me to exercise on a good day, but those days is really hard. And, I figure that my body is being punished enough as it is for the time being. I just keep better tabs on my food.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. It's my base exercise and perfect for any and all times of the month. ;)
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I find that working out helps me feel better.

So, as long as I'm not puking because of pain, I'll do whatever is scheduled for that day. I do take Advil or Tylenol to help though.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    walk extra long on the treadmill, I don't run if my cramps are too bad, but luckily that's only about 2 days. I find that the walking helps my cramps.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I usually continue with my normal routine, take it a little easy if I'm having really bad cramps but I agree - it usually helps alleviate the pain a little bit.
  • JenMarie826
    Options
    I go walking, do weights and do my exercise ball... I try not to over do it on my period.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill. Yoga. Something gentle.

I do all my workouts at home though so I can do things the way I want 100% of the time.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    walking always helps
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I go walking, do weights and do my exercise ball... I try not to over do it on my period.

Exactly! I also do some yoga - mostly relaxing stretches. For whatever reason, sunrise salutation really helps me ease up on the cramps.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Walking works the best for me. Low impact and easy. Plus the dog loves it!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The show must go on... I continue with whatever I have scheduled for that day! :)
  • reharvrun
    Options
    I do the same workout as I would any other reg day. I run, do toning exercises and zumba.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    yep i do my schedule as usual. and i may just lessen the intensity if i need to.
    if i use that as an excuse, then it will be easier for me to use another for next time.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I take a 21 day birth control that prevents me from having a period. I loooove it! Its generic too (Junel 21 day pack) :)
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hop on the elliptical, it seems I don't get cramps at all if I keep myself moving. When I do get them the more I move the better I feel. It's also a good time to eat raisins and bananas. Raisins help keep your iron up and bananas alleviate cramps.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I usually continue with my normal routine, take it a little easy if I'm having really bad cramps but I agree - it usually helps alleviate the pain a little bit.

Same, I do all my usual workouts
  • aggielonghornmd
    aggielonghornmd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to not workout at that time but have recently started doing elliptical anyway and I do feel better after. I dont push myself as hard as usual though. I consider anything being done when aunt flo is visiting is a positive!