Anyone taking supplements?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, and a high potency vitamin d are the ones I take.

Is there a specific reason for the vitamin d? I take a multivitamin already.

Most multivitamins don't have a lot of vitamin D.

I take vitamin D on days I'm not outside much. I also take fish oil (take this at the same time as the D since D requires fat for absorption). And I've recently added a B coplex on my doctor's advice because apparently my old stomach won't produce as much stomac acid as my younger stomach did and that can cause absorption problems with some B vitamins.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin every day, iron supplement every couple days (usually watch my intake and if it's low for a couple days I'll take an iron pill), protein shakes and bars every day. I did fish oil pills for a little while but after some research determined the potential impact wasn't worth the cost.

I keep an eye on my iron as well because I have had anemia in the past. I assume you mean the financial cost of the fish oil? I'm not overly concerned about the cost because I'm sure the cost of cholesterol medication (which the doctor said I was heading towards) will be high as well! I know our local Costco has them in very large bottles. Is there a better ratio to take or does it matter that much?

Yeah I was talking about the financial costs. In your case if you have higher cholesterol levels it makes sense to take fish oil. For me, my cholesterol numbers at my last physical were great so I'm not really worried about needing fish oil. So for me it isn't worth the money.