How do I phase out the sugar in my coffee?

Options
124»

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Bailey's is much better! LOL
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    truvia is pretty good. i've mostly switched to saccharine.

although i don't really have a problem with the taste of any artificial sweetener.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I hated all the different sweeteners but I have grown to love Truvia. I actually was horrible with sugar in my coffee! It was more like coffee with my sugar! I've finally gotten to a level where I can use 1 Truvia packet with my coffee and I'm content. I also buy flavored coffee (hazelnut) and the sugar free hazelnut cream.

I will never drink coffee just black. I just can't do it!

My suggestion is to just do it gradually. It's not going to taste like it does with sugar. But eventually it'll be acceptable. And then you'll start to enjoy it. :)

It takes time. But it's a definite must if you want to lose a few pounds. Sugar for me, well, it's just plain evil!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. I used to have coffee with my sugar. Try just using a tablespoon per cup of yummy coffee creamer if you like it. Eventually you'll get used to it.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just learn to appreciate the flavor of coffee without any sweeteners, milk, cream, etc. With all of that extra stuff you can't taste the true flavor of the coffee itself, which is actually tasty.

Black coffee tastes great if you get over the mental hump of "oh it's black coffee, its so bitter and harsh" and instead try "oh it's hazelnut roast, wow I can really taste the hazelnut."
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    "Coffee creamer has also been used to whiten clothes (after mixing it with water to form a soaking solution), defoam fish tanks, clean dry erase boards as well as fake snow in television and movies.[1]"

And according to the above quote from Wikipedia I can whiten my taekwondo uniform with it! I knew I should never have stopped drinking that stuff! :D

LOL! Is that why my teeth look whiter then ever!! :wink:

I'm definitely looking into trying different sugar alternatives or just tapering it off until I no longer need it in my coffee.. My creamer on the other hand, could continue helping my teeth stay pearly white lol
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lost 40+ lbs and continued to put 2 heaping teaspoons in my Grande coffee everyday. You're talking about 60 to 80 calories and lots of pleasure. By the way, it has been 6 months since I hit my goal and I am holding steady.

Drink your coffee with a little sugar if you like. Skip the cakes, muffins, cookies, etc.

Count your calories and stick to the program. This takes commitment, but not deprivation.
  • diloed
    diloed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I only drink one big cup of coffee a day and put one packet (believe it's a teaspoon=15 calories) in it. I'd rather the 15 calories than the chemicals from artificial sweeteners. And I certainly don't get a sugar rush and crash from that amount.
  • 4gr8kids
    Options
    Start with good quality coffee. Experiment with different kinds to see what you like. There is such a wide variety of roasts and flavors available, even in grocery store coffee. I find Starbucks to be more acidic than others. (99% of the time I make my own Folger's at home). Maybe you'll find one that you enjoy with no sweetener!