NY Resolution people and packed gyms!!?!?!?!?

Options
12346»

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Well said babycakes!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm almost happy that I'm still battling the flu, because I can't deal with the gym for next week or so. When will March roll around?
  • MsKittyCAT
    Options
    My gym parking lot has never been so full. I consider the trek from the last parking space in the farthest row as part of my warm up, lol.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i have to go at like 8:30 at night now....I actually saw 2 women last night sitting there on the bikes just talking away....not pedaling or anything. Felt like saying, umm, you actually have to do it.
  • Ibjames
    Options
    you have to expect the crowd, I just hate it when they don't know etiquette, you are waiting for a machine, they are talking, taking super long breaks, you want to get in and get out, you are there often, you want to get out, they are there, hanging out, you know they won't be there in a couple months but it still pisses you off the same

keep the heart rate up, get pumping on that machine, lets go!

or they are standing in front of the dumbbells, hogging up the walking space, but that is new people and old alike.. ok.. rant over
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    i have to go at like 8:30 at night now....I actually saw 2 women last night sitting there on the bikes just talking away....not pedaling or anything. Felt like saying, umm, you actually have to do it.

Yeap! I saw alot of that going on........ladies on treadmills going REAL slow and holding on to the bars!?!?!?!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Bump this bad boy!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    bwahahahaha:devil:
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm one of those dreadful resolution people who are so unwelcome in gyms. I've been losing weight through dieting and half-arsed exercise since last autumn, and figured that, as I've landed a job, I'd join a gym. I'm clad in cheap gym clothes, I only go at about 6.5-7mph on the treadmill for about forty minutes at a time, I don't know how all the machines work, so have to ask, and, most importantly, I exist. Know what that means? While my gym is huge and therefore there's always at least one of each machine available, there's a chance that, one day, I might delay someone in using their machine of choice. I know, I know. I can't live with myself. If anyone needs me, I'll be sitting at home, injecting lard directly into my arteries.

Seriously though, while it's ultimately your job to pull your finger out and force yourself to go to the gym, I can see why stuff like this would be demotivating; on my first gym session, I felt quite scared that everyone was going to see me trying to figure out how everything works, and either laugh at me or roll their eyes and think "get out of my gym, fatty, the gym is only for adonis types". I persevered anyway (because this is costing me a bloody fortune so I may as well use it), and I'm sorry if I have less stamina than you at the moment and such, but I'll improve in time. And I can see why people who've just joined a gym would see a thread like this and be put off and quit, feeling like a mere nuisance when they already feel bad enough compared to the average gym-goer. I mean, I was chatting to a girl who had her first session yesterday, and she said she felt guilty for not power walking fast enough on the treadmill because everyone else was running and she thought they'd think she was just a time-waster. Everyone has to start somewhere. I told her that, like me, she's not as full-on with her training as everyone else yet, but if she keeps at it, she eventually will be. Plus, she pays for a membership just like everyone else. We both have a right to be there, regardless of whether we "hog the treadmill" or "don't cycle on a high enough effort setting". I understand being annoyed at people who seem to think that just being in a gym makes them healthy even if they barely do anything, but you know what? Tough. When you go to a shop and there's a massive queue, do you automatically blame the other shoppers too? You're all in the same boat. Give it time. After a while, many of the much-loathed new starters will lose hope and give up, and you'll have your favourite machine in the corner back. At least they tried.