So my wife makes fun of this food journal

Options
She is by no means in shape either but then again neither am I.

I have lost weight and continue to use it regardless but just curious if anyone else got negative feedback from their spouse on this?

I travel A LOT for my work typically 5 1/2 out of the 7 day week and traveling makes it EXTREMELY difficult to eat healthy but luckily all the hotels I stay at have free access to their fitness center or contracts with local gyms.

I feel a whole lot better as the majority of work I do is based out of my vehicle and I sit for extended amounts of times.

I started this because I gained even more weight that was already on top of the excess weight at the start of the job plus I was starting to feel light headed at times which I knew was time to make changes.

Just got my 45 day log in notice so I am defiantly at the point of a habit and with myfitnesspal.com a it defiantly helps with logging as most of the items are already itemized which helps with the hectic day to day activities.

Okay this turned into more then what I intended but Happy New Year to all.

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    yepp! DH is skinny and unsupportive
  • DACouture1979
    Options
    What and or who is DH?
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Heh, I don't talk about it with my spouse, but if I did, he'd never be negative about something that I'm doing to improve my quality of life. After all, if he's not rooting for me, why the heck am I with him?

I just don't talk about it because for some reason once I start talking about food and health with my family, my rebellious nature seems to overwhelm me and I start sabotaging myself. I becomes about making them proud rather than doing right by myself. To keep my head straight, I have to keep it pretty much to myself.

This forum doesn't count in that way, though. I don't have to worry about disappointing or impressing anyone on here. ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    What and or who is DH?

I believe DH stands for Dear Husband.

Anyway, don't worry about what other people think of the process, do what works for you. It does seem from the outside to be more of a pain in the neck than it actually is. I'm surprised that it's so easy to do and kind of fun to keep track of my progress and find out how many calories are in various foods vs how many I can burn in a set amount of time. It's like a game to me, and I'm keeping score. But I get it that other people will roll their eyes if I go around talking about it. It sounds a bit tiring, to be honest.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Just speculation, but she may be concerned that if you get fit and attractive then she'll seem larger and less attractive by comparison. My theory is that it has less to do with the food journal, and more to do with her insecurities.

So my advice is to keep your food journal going, and do your best to stroke her ego from time to time :)
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    yepp! DH is skinny and unsupportive

I promised my DH that if I lose the weight I'd go back to wearing lingerie again sometimes, instead of granny panties all the time. Now he's very supportive, LOL
  • MelissaJ20
    Options
    Just speculation, but she may be concerned that if you get fit and attractive then she'll seem larger and less attractive by comparison. My theory is that it has less to do with the food journal, and more to do with her insecurities.

So my advice is to keep your food journal going, and do your best to stroke her ego from time to time :)

I totally agree! :)
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Lead by example - It takes just the right trigger or ah ha moment for someone to change. Nothing we can say or do will make that happen.

Take care of yourself first - Keep exercising - My DH (lol) thought I wouldn't stick with it. A year later he brags on my stay-to-it-ness and gives me compliments all of the time.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Do it for you. I can't say that my husband isn't supportive, but... he just keeps such a neutral ground about anything to do with me improving my figure. LOL... I'm thinking he doesn't want to get in "trouble" and we are newlyweds after all... but I can sort of relate to what you're saying... it feels like my husband isn't really that supportive, but he isn't negative either. I feel on my own with this. And that's fine, because ultimately only WE can do it for ourselves... our spouses and partners can't. We put the food in our mouths, and we get up off the couch and exercise and lift weights, etc. Right? So... in the end, we are ultimately alone in a sense. I say just keep it up, keep logging, keep posting and reading others' posts for inspiration.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is a little jealous that you've taken the step to trying to lose a few pounds? It's too bad she isn't at least a little supportive. It could be a great thing as a couple to try and change your ways!

I wish my husband would do this with me. But, he's not computer anything so he'd never use something like MFP. He also travels a lot like you and is on the road all day long. He always stops at fast food and he laughs at me when I tell him that he should bring a cooler in his truck and I'll gladly help make his meals.

He encourages me to lose weight but doesn't take a look at himself. He could lose a few pounds himself. And I'd really like it if we did this together too. It's nice to have that support.

Actually, that's why I'm really starting to enjoy this MFP. I enjoy the calorie counting but moreso the feedback/support from other people in the same boat!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Actually no, my husband has said "Whatever you are doing, is really working." so he does not ever pick apart this at all.
  • DACouture1979
    Options
    Thanks all I appreciate the feedback from all.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I told my husband about it, in hopes that he would also join and get into it with me. I have a full time "desk" job dispatching for a police dept, so being in an inactive job means I can constantly update and easily log all my info each day. He is a delivery driver, so he really doesn't have time to get on his phone, only when he takes a break, which he chooses not to so he can get off work earlier.

When he realized that it was also a social/media website he was somewhat concerned (maybe a sense of jealousy, but nothing to be concerned about)... so if your wife knows the extent if MFP she may be somewhat jealous that you're communicating with other members, majority of which are women.

Do your best to encourage her to join, especially since you travel a lot with work, it will be a new way to connect with your wife, and will probably help you both to encourage each other to live healthier lifestyles. The best of luck to you!
  • DACouture1979
    Options
    I told my husband about it, in hopes that he would also join and get into it with me. I have a full time "desk" job dispatching for a police dept, so being in an inactive job means I can constantly update and easily log all my info each day. He is a delivery driver, so he really doesn't have time to get on his phone, only when he takes a break, which he chooses not to so he can get off work earlier.

When he realized that it was also a social/media website he was somewhat concerned (maybe a sense of jealousy, but nothing to be concerned about)... so if your wife knows the extent if MFP she may be somewhat jealous that you're communicating with other members, majority of which are women.

Do your best to encourage her to join, especially since you travel a lot with work, it will be a new way to connect with your wife, and will probably help you both to encourage each other to live healthier lifestyles. The best of luck to you!

She doesn't know anything about the site and all 4 posts of mine and 0 connections I doubt she has anything to worry about that. With the phone apps it is so simple to do it, I'm constantly on the go (average 10 hour work days (7 hours observation 2 - 3 travel time to next site location) very limited down time during my day. I do safety observations for commercial vehicle operation and if I'm following a driver on route instead of random vehicles out of heavy traveled hubs I have even less time. I am still able to take the 1 or 2 minutes it takes to log in on my phone and plug in the data. If he has an Android based or iPhone he can get the app and it's real simple.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    DH doesn't sound so Dear to me...

My partner has been exceptionally supportive and he has gained a really wonderful appreciation for healthy food and healthy living - but it's taken a year and a half! It won't come easy but what might at first be hesitation or resistance is actually just fear of failure, or inadequacy in any form. Give it time.

I don't ever expect my boy to be as passionate about running, food or general healthy living as I am, but we're meeting in the middle. We've all got a lot to learn from one another :smile:

If only my folks would catch on! :grumble:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i dont use this site to log food, i have a notebook. My fiance rolls his eyes when i write in it. Ive been laughed at for a lot worse. Honestly, i dont get the "unsupportive spouse" posts. Im not in shape for him, and could care less if hes gungho about me writing how much sodium is in an ounce of cheese.
  • DACouture1979
    Options
    i dont use this site to log food, i have a notebook. My fiance rolls his eyes when i write in it. Ive been laughed at for a lot worse. Honestly, i dont get the "unsupportive spouse" posts. Im not in shape for him, and could care less if hes gungho about me writing how much sodium is in an ounce of cheese.

Considering your name is Troll and you take a picture of your Christmas tree with your dogs, your opinion means squat.
  • vcreinert
    Options
    Tell them to go screw themselves and keep on keeping on.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Most of my friends and family just don't understand a "food&exercise diary"-some even make jokes about it, but they are supportive of the goal to be healthy and fit.
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    wow! no! in fact he encourages it.. we went out for lunch yesterday and he asked if that restaurant is on 'fitness pal'. :) lol
    i just hope he finds it within himself to start using it too..
    maybe if my results start to shine he will :)