So my wife makes fun of this food journal

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Um, no. We teach people how to treat us and I would never tolerate that kind of ridicule from my husband. (Not that I think he would ever behave in such a way.)

Sorry my wife isn't a child, she's an adult if I wanted to marry a child I would have.

How is it treating someone like a child by not allowing them to treat you poorly? Not that it matters, my husband would never make fun of me for taking care of my health.
  • DACouture1979
    Options
    Um, no. We teach people how to treat us and I would never tolerate that kind of ridicule from my husband. (Not that I think he would ever behave in such a way.)

Sorry my wife isn't a child, she's an adult if I wanted to marry a child I would have.

How is it treating someone like a child by not allowing them to treat you poorly? Not that it matters, my husband would never make fun of me for taking care of my health.

By teaching someone how to treat you, you are treating them like a child. Should my wife support me in this yes, does she no but I'm not going to spank her and not give her a treat because I didn't teach her.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

By teaching someone how to treat you, you are treating them like a child. Should my wife support me in this yes, does she no but I'm not going to spank her and not give her a treat because I didn't teach her.

OK, you misunderstand. What I mean by we teach people how to treat us is that if you allow your wife, for example, to continue to make fun of you then you "teach" her that it's OK. If you let her know that it bothers you and you'd like her to cut it out, please, then you "teach" her that it's not OK. That's what I meant by that statement. I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about it.
  • DACouture1979
    Options

OK, you misunderstand. What I mean by we teach people how to treat us is that if you allow your wife, for example, to continue to make fun of you then you "teach" her that it's OK. If you let her know that it bothers you and you'd like her to cut it out, please, then you "teach" her that it's not OK. That's what I meant by that statement. I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about it.

Understood, sorry for the misinterpretation.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When anyone reacts negatively to something positive it is always rooted at heart of a personal issue of their own.

I always say that we have a hell of a struggle already to put ourselves on a better, healthier path and it is not helpful to have anyone restrict us from achieving this.

Your results speak for themselves. When you reach your goals, any negativity becomes void and ridiculously obvious to everyone.
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    She is by no means in shape either but then again neither am I.

I have lost weight and continue to use it regardless but just curious if anyone else got negative feedback from their spouse on this?

I travel A LOT for my work typically 5 1/2 out of the 7 day week and traveling makes it EXTREMELY difficult to eat healthy but luckily all the hotels I stay at have free access to their fitness center or contracts with local gyms.

I feel a whole lot better as the majority of work I do is based out of my vehicle and I sit for extended amounts of times.

I started this because I gained even more weight that was already on top of the excess weight at the start of the job plus I was starting to feel light headed at times which I knew was time to make changes.

Just got my 45 day log in notice so I am defiantly at the point of a habit and with myfitnesspal.com a it defiantly helps with logging as most of the items are already itemized which helps with the hectic day to day activities.

Okay this turned into more then what I intended but Happy New Year to all.

she won't be laughing when you look like this!!

dj-fitness.jpg
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

That's illegal in the US, beyond immoral, and not really something to joke about.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options

That's illegal in the US, beyond immoral, and not really something to joke about.

*facepalm* seriously?? He's obviously mentioning an adult with a 'childish personality'...

I'm genuinely interested, is that not obvious to you? Did you take that literally? Because WOW!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    dj-fitness.jpg
    [/quote]

i'd like a slice of this, please!

anyway, my hubs has been supportive from the start. he sometimes rolls his eyes when i'm on the computer as much as i am. and he laughs at me when i get in from a run and the first thing i do (even before i shower) is log in and write up the distance ran, time taken and all important burn achieved. my hubby's been super as far as giving me the time to do ridiculous amounts of running goes. he's not so great with the eating healthily bit, but that's just him. he'd live on chocolate and take aways if we could afford it!

so, yeah. sounds like your wife just doesn't get it yet. but don't let that stop you- she may twig that this is a useful tool, and she may not. important thing is that you keep on going because then you're going to feel better about yourself and more confident, then she'll be even more attracted to you (and may even choose to join the mfp world when she sees you getting so much out of it).

and, fwiw, we call it 'fatbook' in our house!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

*facepalm* seriously?? He's obviously mentioning an adult with a 'childish personality'...

I'm genuinely interested, is that not obvious to you? Did you take that literally? Because WOW!

Did you notice that he said, "I would have married a CHILD" not "an immature brat"

I know what he meant, however, my point stands.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i dont use this site to log food, i have a notebook. My fiance rolls his eyes when i write in it. Ive been laughed at for a lot worse. Honestly, i dont get the "unsupportive spouse" posts. Im not in shape for him, and could care less if hes gungho about me writing how much sodium is in an ounce of cheese.

Considering your name is Troll and you take a picture of your Christmas tree with your dogs, your opinion means squat.

Real mature. Seriously, are you doing this for your wife or you? If you're doing it for you then you have to understand THAT is the best way to be, and whether she thinks it's a waste of time or the best thing EVAR, if it works for you it works for you. It annoys the mess out of my fiance but at the end of the day i don't write down how much water i drink so HE knows, it's so I know. :) And Troll is a high school nickname because i'm short and German, and my dogs are adorable :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    J-E-A-L-O-U-S
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive. He will even step away from the computer so I can update my food diary.

He just doesn't want one for himself. To each their own...
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't supportive, and he sort of makes fun of it in his own way. "that site isn't going to help you, i don't know why you bother doing that everyday" is basically what i get from him. He isn't thin, but seems to think that it would only take him a few days to get back into shape. either way, i do it for me, and thats exactly what i tell him. if he doesn't like it then it's not his business anyway, since it's not his body or time being put into the site.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Mine is understanding, if not supportive of my MFP life. It's definitely not her bag though.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    My husband is supportive of what I'm trying to do, sometimes just not supportive in a way I would prefer. Or maybe I don't take it right. He lost weight through his job, you know...eats whatever he wants, plays video games and watches tv at home. I didn't have to make the whole lifestyle change and make time to exercise between work and kids. So I don't think he really gets the process. But he was happy that I was trying to make a difference. I agree with some of the previous comments...maybe she is insecure. I totally get that. :-) Best of luck to you!
  • nelster
    nelster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could explain to or show your wife how you can be friends and see each others updates each day and write encouraging notes to each other. My husband and I are both doing it and I like to see what comes up about him. It is something that we share even when he is at work all day.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    She is by no means in shape either but then again neither am I.

I have lost weight and continue to use it regardless but just curious if anyone else got negative feedback from their spouse on this?

I travel A LOT for my work typically 5 1/2 out of the 7 day week and traveling makes it EXTREMELY difficult to eat healthy but luckily all the hotels I stay at have free access to their fitness center or contracts with local gyms.

I feel a whole lot better as the majority of work I do is based out of my vehicle and I sit for extended amounts of times.

I started this because I gained even more weight that was already on top of the excess weight at the start of the job plus I was starting to feel light headed at times which I knew was time to make changes.

Just got my 45 day log in notice so I am defiantly at the point of a habit and with myfitnesspal.com a it defiantly helps with logging as most of the items are already itemized which helps with the hectic day to day activities.

Okay this turned into more then what I intended but Happy New Year to all.

she won't be laughing when you look like this!!

dj-fitness.jpg

This is funny love this post
  • heatherterp
    Options
    After many weeks of being on MFP and talking about it with my hubby he has also signed up. Your wife will come around. keep sharing your success with her. Tell her how easy a tool it is to use and talk about the supportive nature of the site. She is feeling self conscious that you are doing something about it. She will come around. You are a wonderful husband to want to change and want to be on this Earth long term with her.
    keep up the great work. it is addicting to check out what you plan to eat. I love it!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    You know what's funny when you are looking fab and fit as a result of sticking with your food journal and making other healthy lifestyle changes. It's your journey, your spouse can follow or not . . . she has to make the decision on her own.

My hubby use to make jokes or fun at how he could never do something like this, but it works for me! Now he can see results of this tool/resource because I'm a testimony and recommends it to other people. Funny how "making fun" turns into a I told ya so!