does anyone have recipes for low fat "manly" meals???

Options

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Also, why are you looking for low-fat? Fat isn't bad for you unless you have a specific health problem. Calories make you fat, not the fat in foods.

Not necessarily true. If an unusually high percentage of your calories are coming from fats instead of carbs and protein as well, you will have a more difficult time losing the weight. There is a balance required, and some people seem to have to maintain that balance more than others. I find that with my 1,200 calorie diet I was doing that if I was eating less food but with higher fat, I seemed to stall on weight loss.
    [/quote]

But Wait!!!! From the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052970203462304577138993430777580-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwNDEwNDQyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email&mod=igoogle_wsj_gadgv1

The findings suggest that it matters little whether a diet is high or low in fat, carbohydrates or protein, it's calories that build body fat.

"That's a very important message," said Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, an obesity researcher at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., who wasn't involved with the study. "Weight gain depends primarily on excess calories, regardless of the composition of the meal."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    hiya :)
    i'm looking for recipes that are low fat and low in carbs. my boyfriend isn't liking my new healthy meals,i really dont want to have to make 3 seperate dinners a day,one for me,one for him and one for my 1 year old. if anyone can help that would be great :)
    thank you

I don't blame him. I wouldn't like low fat low carb meals all the time either. My husband eats too much, but he's happy to do it with the healthy meals I prepare. I just concentrate on good carbs (veggies, whole grains) and good fats (plant and fish oils).
  • jeckyb
    jeckyb Posts: 60
    Options
    If you pre-plan your meals and then log them in at the beginning of the day you can fill in your calories and other macro nutrients around that meal....that's what I do. I have a husband and 2 boys and I WILL NOT cook 2 dinners. We have normal stuff....spaghetti, sloppy joes, tacos, chicken, pizza, fish, shells and cheese, mashed potatoes, french fries, pork chops.....etc
    This.

Also, why are you looking for low-fat? Fat isn't bad for you unless you have a specific health problem. Calories make you fat, not the fat in foods.

i should have also said my boyfriend had a seizure over the holidays,it was suggested he go on a low carb diet. i'm happy not to eat heavy carbs like white bread and white pasta because my stomach is my problem area and i get bloated after eating them.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052970203462304577138993430777580-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwNDEwNDQyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email&mod=igoogle_wsj_gadgv1

The findings suggest that it matters little whether a diet is high or low in fat, carbohydrates or protein, it's calories that build body fat.

"That's a very important message," said Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, an obesity researcher at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., who wasn't involved with the study. "Weight gain depends primarily on excess calories, regardless of the composition of the meal."

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kaseklosed
    Options
    I second that!!!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true. If an unusually high percentage of your calories are coming from fats instead of carbs and protein as well, you will have a more difficult time losing the weight. There is a balance required, and some people seem to have to maintain that balance more than others. I find that with my 1,200 calorie diet I was doing that if I was eating less food but with higher fat, I seemed to stall on weight loss.

[/quote]

Please pay attention to WHAT you are quoting. We are discussing loss. You are discussing gains. Even in your direct quote. There is a big difference between gain and loss.

"Abstract: Objective: We studied the effects of weight loss induced by either a low-fat normal diet (ND) or restriction of high-fat diet (HFD) on hepatic steatosis, inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue (AT), and blood monocytes of obese mice. Methods: In mice with HFD-induced obesity, weight loss was achieved by switching from HFD to ND and maintaining on ND ad libitum or by restricting HFD intake to match body weight of mice with ND-induced weight loss. After diet interventions for 4 weeks, hepatic steatosis, hepatic and AT inflammation, and blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes were examined. Results: At 4 weeks after switching diets, body weight was reduced by 23% from baseline. To achieve the same reduced body weight required restricting calorie intake from HFD. Weight loss with either ND or HFD restriction decreased body fat mass and ameliorated liver steatosis; both effects were greater with ND-induced weight loss than HFD restriction-induced weight loss. Weight loss with ND but not HFD restriction normalized blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes and attenuated hepatic inflammation assessed by chemokine and CD11c expression. In contrast, weight loss with HFD restriction significantly reduced chemokine levels and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells in AT compared to obese controls, and tended to reduce AT chemokines and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells more than ND-induced weight loss. Conclusion: In mice with diet-induced obesity, weight loss with ND was superior in alleviating hepatic inflammation and steatosis, whereas weight loss with HFD calorie restriction provided greater amelioration of AT inflammation."

Wang Q, Perrard X, Wu H, et al. Differential effect of weight loss with low-fat diet or high-fat diet restriction on inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue of mice with diet-induced obesity. Atherosclerosis (00219150) [serial online]. November 2011;219(1):100-108. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

The goal of this research synthesis was to separate and articulate questions that had clear meaning, were empirically addressable, and were germane to the broad question “Is fat fattening?” Four such questions addressing the effect of varying the proportion of dietary fat on body weight and body fat were formulated. A comprehensive review of electronic citation databases was conducted to identify studies that addressed each question. The results of the studies addressing each question were tabulated and summarized, and an answer for each question was formulated. The results indicated that whether “fat is fattening” depends on exactly what one means by the question. It is apparent that under conditions of energy deficit, high-fat diets lead to greater weight loss than low-fat diets, but under ad libitum feeding conditions, instructing persons to follow a low-fat diet promotes loss of body weight and body fat.

Shikany J, Vaughan L, Baskin M, Cope M, Hill J, Allison D. Is Dietary Fat “Fattening”? A Comprehensive Research Synthesis. Critical Reviews In Food Science & Nutrition [serial online]. September 2010;50(8):699-715. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

Abstract: The present study tested the hypothesis that a saturated fatty acid (SFA)–rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower SFA content. In 8 female Sprague-Dawley rats fed a low-SFA canola or a moderate-SFA lard-rich diets at 67% of energy for 26 days, body weight gain, final body weight, obesity index, and food and energy intake were comparable. Twenty-nine rats were fed canola or high-SFA butter-rich diets (67% of energy) or chow for 50 days; then high-fat feeding was followed by ad libitum low-fat feeding (27% of energy) for 28 days and by a food-restricted low-fat diet for 32 days. High-fat feeding resulted in a greater body weight gain (P < .04), final body weight (P < .04), and energy intake (P < .008) in butter-fed rats than in canola- and chow-fed controls, after 26 or 50 days. Ad libitum canola and butter low-fat diets or chow feeding resulted in similar weight change, whereas food-restricted low-fat diets led to comparable weight loss and final weight. Canola-fed animals adjusted their intake based on diet energy density, whereas lard and butter-fed animals failed to do so. Abdominal fat (P = .012) and plasma leptin (P = .005) were higher in chow-fed controls than in canola-fed rats, but comparable with those of butter-fed rats. Prone and resistant phenotypes were detected with high-fat feeding. In conclusion, only feeding the high-SFA butter-rich diet led to obesity development and failure to adjust intake based on the energy density and preserving body fat even after weight loss. The high availability of SFA-rich foods in today''s obesogenic environment could contribute to develop and maintain obesity.

Hariri N, Gougeon R, Thibault L. A highly saturated fat-rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower saturated fat content. Nutrition Research [serial online]. September 2010;30(9):632-643. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

I could find more for you if you want - just let me know!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I made a lentil shepards pie tonight for dinner that was fabulous for the whole family. The potatoes up the carbs but you could cut back on those a bit and just have a small layer of them.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could make one meal, but prepare some extra carbs as a side-dish for him (or encourage him to do it himself)? Rice or mashed potato or even a baked potato with cheese on top can make a meal more satisfying for someone who isn't on the diet with you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Please pay attention to WHAT you are quoting. We are discussing loss. You are discussing gains. Even in your direct quote. There is a big difference between gain and loss.

"Abstract: Objective: We studied the effects of weight loss induced by either a low-fat normal diet (ND) or restriction of high-fat diet (HFD) on hepatic steatosis, inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue (AT), and blood monocytes of obese mice. Methods: In mice with HFD-induced obesity, weight loss was achieved by switching from HFD to ND and maintaining on ND ad libitum or by restricting HFD intake to match body weight of mice with ND-induced weight loss. After diet interventions for 4 weeks, hepatic steatosis, hepatic and AT inflammation, and blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes were examined. Results: At 4 weeks after switching diets, body weight was reduced by 23% from baseline. To achieve the same reduced body weight required restricting calorie intake from HFD. Weight loss with either ND or HFD restriction decreased body fat mass and ameliorated liver steatosis; both effects were greater with ND-induced weight loss than HFD restriction-induced weight loss. Weight loss with ND but not HFD restriction normalized blood CD11c<sup>+</sup> monocytes and attenuated hepatic inflammation assessed by chemokine and CD11c expression. In contrast, weight loss with HFD restriction significantly reduced chemokine levels and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells in AT compared to obese controls, and tended to reduce AT chemokines and CD11c<sup>+</sup> cells more than ND-induced weight loss. Conclusion: In mice with diet-induced obesity, weight loss with ND was superior in alleviating hepatic inflammation and steatosis, whereas weight loss with HFD calorie restriction provided greater amelioration of AT inflammation."

Wang Q, Perrard X, Wu H, et al. Differential effect of weight loss with low-fat diet or high-fat diet restriction on inflammation in the liver and adipose tissue of mice with diet-induced obesity. Atherosclerosis (00219150) [serial online]. November 2011;219(1):100-108. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

The goal of this research synthesis was to separate and articulate questions that had clear meaning, were empirically addressable, and were germane to the broad question “Is fat fattening?” Four such questions addressing the effect of varying the proportion of dietary fat on body weight and body fat were formulated. A comprehensive review of electronic citation databases was conducted to identify studies that addressed each question. The results of the studies addressing each question were tabulated and summarized, and an answer for each question was formulated. The results indicated that whether “fat is fattening” depends on exactly what one means by the question. It is apparent that under conditions of energy deficit, high-fat diets lead to greater weight loss than low-fat diets, but under ad libitum feeding conditions, instructing persons to follow a low-fat diet promotes loss of body weight and body fat.

Shikany J, Vaughan L, Baskin M, Cope M, Hill J, Allison D. Is Dietary Fat “Fattening”? A Comprehensive Research Synthesis. Critical Reviews In Food Science & Nutrition [serial online]. September 2010;50(8):699-715. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

Abstract: The present study tested the hypothesis that a saturated fatty acid (SFA)–rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower SFA content. In 8 female Sprague-Dawley rats fed a low-SFA canola or a moderate-SFA lard-rich diets at 67% of energy for 26 days, body weight gain, final body weight, obesity index, and food and energy intake were comparable. Twenty-nine rats were fed canola or high-SFA butter-rich diets (67% of energy) or chow for 50 days; then high-fat feeding was followed by ad libitum low-fat feeding (27% of energy) for 28 days and by a food-restricted low-fat diet for 32 days. High-fat feeding resulted in a greater body weight gain (P < .04), final body weight (P < .04), and energy intake (P < .008) in butter-fed rats than in canola- and chow-fed controls, after 26 or 50 days. Ad libitum canola and butter low-fat diets or chow feeding resulted in similar weight change, whereas food-restricted low-fat diets led to comparable weight loss and final weight. Canola-fed animals adjusted their intake based on diet energy density, whereas lard and butter-fed animals failed to do so. Abdominal fat (P = .012) and plasma leptin (P = .005) were higher in chow-fed controls than in canola-fed rats, but comparable with those of butter-fed rats. Prone and resistant phenotypes were detected with high-fat feeding. In conclusion, only feeding the high-SFA butter-rich diet led to obesity development and failure to adjust intake based on the energy density and preserving body fat even after weight loss. The high availability of SFA-rich foods in today''s obesogenic environment could contribute to develop and maintain obesity.

Hariri N, Gougeon R, Thibault L. A highly saturated fat-rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower saturated fat content. Nutrition Research [serial online]. September 2010;30(9):632-643. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed January 4, 2012.

I could find more for you if you want - just let me know!

First mice and rats' metabolic pathways =/= humans' Things like DNL occur at a much greater rate in them then humans (i believe it's 10x greater rate)

and the bolded section would go against your assertion that high fat intake while in a caloric deficit makes it harder to lose. When in actuality assuming protein is held constant, it makes no difference in weight loss if you are eating high cho/low fat or low cho/high fat

http://www.ajcn.org/content/20/10/1104.full.pdf

http://www.ajcn.org/content/21/11/1291.full.pdf

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/11/4480.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968851

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561057

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2319073
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

i should have also said my boyfriend had a seizure over the holidays,it was suggested he go on a low carb diet. i'm happy not to eat heavy carbs like white bread and white pasta because my stomach is my problem area and i get bloated after eating them.

Ahhhh. Well that's a whole different ballgame. If that's the case, then he needs to shut up and eat the food, sorry to say. It's not as though you're changing your diet and making him change with it -- if this is something he needs to do for his own health, then he needs to just eat the food.

So, you could serve things like a lean steak with a side of roasted asparagus and a salad. Or grilled seasoned chicken breast with broccoli (roast it with garlic, so good). Those would be my immediate suggestions for "manly" food.
  • hallic86
    Options
    Fat Burning Chicken Taco Soup! So deliscious everyone will love it.
    Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup diced onion
    * 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    * 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    * 4 (4-ounce) skinless and boneless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
    * 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    * 1 (8-ounce) jar salsa
    * 1 (7-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
    * 1 (14-ounce) can hominy, drained
    * 1 (16-ounce) can ranch-style beans, drained
    * 2 (4-ounce) cans tomato paste
    * 2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
    * 1 (8-ounce) package light cream cheese

Method:

In a large stockpot, saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oil. Add the chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, corn, hominy, beans, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Bring to a slow simmer and simmer for 20 minutes. Place the cream cheese in a bowl, remove some of the hot liquid from the soup, and pour it over the cream cheese. Stir to melt the cheese, and then pour the mixture back into the soup pot. Simmer on low for another 10 minutes. Serve with a few tortilla chips and 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese for women, 1⁄3 cup Cheddar cheese for men. Be sure to keep a close eye on the serving size of the chips.
    Nutritional analysis per serving:

(without chips and grated cheese) 321.6 calories, 31.7 grams protein, 39.6 grams carbohydrates, 4.3 grams fat, 9.8 grams fiber
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that isn't manly is Salad, maybe?

I mean any kind of grilled meat, sweet potato, and brocoli

Pot roast with soy milk mashed potato's and green beans
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Manly....ughh... Im sorry but that strikes a nerve with me for some reason...

Almost as much as the multiple meal-thing.

I grew up in my Grandparents home and their belief was, unless you are sick as a dog or you have allergies, you should be thankful for the meal that is provided. The thing is: my grandparents would sit at the table on Sunday morning, and discuss what meals they would like to have for the week while they compile the list of groceries for food shopping. This was a team-effort of the both of them.

She was a stay at home wife, while my grandfather was the breadwinner of the home. Once her kids moved on, she picked up a part time job but still held the controls of the home...and still talking with her husband about meal planning.

There shouldnt be any reason why your boyfriend cant meet you HALF WAY.... it isnt going to kill him to have the meal that is prepared.... but, there are ways that even you can prepare a meal where a component is not put on your own plate.

For example: tonight I made a Turkey-mushroom sautee.

White turkey breast meat cubed
    White button mushrooms, sliced
    Yellow and Red bell pepper cut almost julienne
    Fresh garlic
    Fresh herbs
    Light on the olive oil for sauteeing and fresh vegetable stock to build a nice light splash of flavor.

Roasted potatoes for my husband
    Shirataki noodles for me (they dont need to be heated, I can toss them with my hot bowl of food and they heat up fast)

I made a sauce that was kept on the side. If my husband wants it, he can get it himself after he tries it and decides he likes it or not.

Otherwise, the meal is already well seasoned and contains 'normal' foods.

I know my husband would tell me it was not necessary to do the potatoes for him, but there is no reason why he cant have what he likes.... its not making a brand new dish, its just making a normal meal, but the twist is on the sauce and the noodles... they are truly for me, but its up to him to try them and whether or not he wants them.

Your boyfriend ought to learn how to cook as well. Why not do the cooking together? You both need to work with each other, give and take..... equal opportunity!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my earlier reply - I missed the follow-up about your bf's health.

Some ideas:
    * Chilli beef with beans (made with lean beef and no added fat, or just chilli beans and no meat for an even lower fat version). Spice it up to make it extra "manly" and serve on its own, or with a brown rice. Try a little non-fat unsweetend yoghurt with it, in place of sour cream.
    * Hearty soups of various kinds - filling and satisfying, but they usually have much lower carb content than other meal options.
    * Eggs: omlettes, boiled eggs, egg and ham pie (with filo pastry), eggs poached in spicy tomato-based sauces.
    * Filo bakes (e.g. wrap up chicken breast and other ingredients in filo pastry and bake)
    * Wraps of all types (e.g. chicken breast with salsa and salads)
    * Baked or grilled fish and fish parcels (e.g. wrap fish with lemon, cherry tomatoes and capers, and bake).
    * Pot pies (any sort of casserole topped with just a little pastry or mashed potatoes and baked).
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you know someone very abundantly manly (e.g. a lumberjack or firefighter come to mind) who could come over and pretend the "womanly" food you are serving is actually extremely manly. Your boyfriend would surely believe a second opinion from a reliable source and could be fooled into eating what you've made. In the future, you could also just say "Well, I know Mr. Lumberjack eats this all the time." Should work like a charm.

:wink:

Seriously, though. There's lots of good responses on here. The term "manly" meals just made me giggle.
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a very! manly husband and he loved my 320 calorie dinner tonight!
    Boneless Skinless 4 oz chicken breast baked with the blender mixture on top
    In a blender 2 tomatoes, 1 jalapeno, half and onion, and a yellow bell pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, cumin, and black pepper.
    Brown wild rice mixed with the blender mixture and 1 can of corn

Very tasty and lots of protein and vitamins!
  • calamitydown
    Options
    If he doesn't like it, then I assume he can make his own dinner.

THIS!

and i 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 500th) skinnytaste.com. i make tons of stuff from there for my boyfriend and i- he can't even tell the difference!
  • jeckyb
    Options
    The comments that the hubby can make his own dinner are not helpful... Some women still enjuoy making a dinner for the entire family that all will enjoy! And why dirty the kitchen twice?!? Find ways to slowly get everyone on the same or similar menu, then the whole family benifits and can eat together and have quality time! Remeber eating dinner as a family and talking about your day?!? Good times that we strive to have still in our household!

well said, thank you :)
  • jeckyb
    Options
    I have a very! manly husband and he loved my 320 calorie dinner tonight!
    Boneless Skinless 4 oz chicken breast baked with the blender mixture on top
    In a blender 2 tomatoes, 1 jalapeno, half and onion, and a yellow bell pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, cumin, and black pepper.
    Brown wild rice mixed with the blender mixture and 1 can of corn

Very tasty and lots of protein and vitamins!

nice,thank you :)