Help! I hate lunges, how can I learn to like them???

Options
I've never liked them. Doesn't matter if they are front, back or sideways. Is there anything I can do to like them more? Also, I don't feel like I ever get as deep into a lunge as say the instructor does. Is that just the limitations of my body? I work out regularly. Maybe I need more yoga?

Replies

• jdjefferson
    Options
    I've never liked them. Doesn't matter if they are front, back or sideways.

Then don't do them.
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've never liked them. Doesn't matter if they are front, back or sideways.

Then don't do them.

I know. But they are so effective....an no equipment needed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's good you hate them. It's puts you out of your comfort zone. And when that happens, usually you body changes. That's why people pay me to train them. They won't work out in an uncomfortable zone unless they're doing it for me. So keep doing them!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They never get easier or more enjoyable. Sorry to say :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I plan to hate them for the rest of my life.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    When your butt starts to lift you will love them.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges too but I do them because I see how they're changing my legs and rear. That's what you have to focus on - how effective they are and then move on to the next exercise.

As far as not feeling like you're deep enough in the movement, your body knows its limit and don't go further. Keeping proper form is much more important. If you feel the muscle working and you're sweating, then you're at the right point for your body. I'll always recommend more yoga! :wink: However it might not be an issue of flexibility...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I hate them too! I can barely get out of my desk chair right now because of them...and I hate squats, burpies, mountain climbers...oh yes. But there's nothing we can do about it but suck it up. I recommend putting some Five Finger Death Punch or Cancer Bats on your MP3 player and getting angry lol
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    maybe it's like brussel sprouts, and they're better if you just cook them with butter and bacon.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Lunges. Suck. I love them.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Just think about how great your *kitten* will look.... works for me I'll do them till the cows come home!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I hate them to, but do loads of them with my trainer -- who just commented on my backside looking good! It is worth it, IMO, lunges and lots of squats. Use weights, do walking ones to change it up; you can do walking foward lunges, walking sideways, all different ways. If you change it up, maybe you won't hate them so much. Today we were doing Jane Fonda walking lunges, lol, where you get into a lunge and pulse up and down 3 times, then continue. EDIT: just saw you don't like doing them in any position, front, back, sideways. I say just try to put yourself in another place mentally while you are doing them, I tend to zone out and try to forget about the pain when I am doing something I hate at the gym.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me "Lunges are the differemce between granny panties and thongs." I think of that everytime I do lunges and it makes them seem easier, haha.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Perhaps telling yourself in the mirror every morning that you love them will help.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me "Lunges are the differemce between granny panties and thongs." I think of that everytime I do lunges and it makes them seem easier, haha.

omg that's funny
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I hate them too! I can barely get out of my desk chair right now because of them...and I hate squats, burpies, mountain climbers...oh yes. But there's nothing we can do about it but suck it up. I recommend putting some Five Finger Death Punch or Cancer Bats on your MP3 player and getting angry lol

I'm in the same boat - I need to get up and get more water and I'm oh, so afraid!

I used to hate lunges and squats, and then I figured out how to do them right, and now I actually like them. I can't believe I just typed that...and I've noticed now that I've been doing them in the proper form that I can go lower in them too without feeling like I'm going to break something or fall over.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You don;t have to like them... just do them!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I've never liked them. Doesn't matter if they are front, back or sideways. Is there anything I can do to like them more? Also, I don't feel like I ever get as deep into a lunge as say the instructor does. Is that just the limitations of my body? I work out regularly. Maybe I need more yoga?

Do walking lunges where you step out in front and put the back knee on the ground. Do this while holding a 8lb ball overhead. You will hate them more than ever but they work.

Tell youself it's not a waste of time like what 90% of everyone else is doing in the gym
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You can't. They suck. But you will get better at them.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    fake it. make yourself believe it.