Help! I hate lunges, how can I learn to like them???

Options

Replies

• Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You just do them...
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Your body has limitations- push yourself to improve but don't push so hard that it hurts.
    Smile every time you do a lunge. Like a genuine smile. It will make you associate lunges with the little mood boost that comes from smiling.
    Or imagine your butt becoming more and more like Kim Kardashian's with each and every lunge.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Do them in Sun Salutations! :smile:

Sun-Salutationtransbck.gif
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've never liked them. Doesn't matter if they are front, back or sideways. Is there anything I can do to like them more?
    You can't.

I always advise people to match their fitness programs to their passions.
    In other words try to do what you enjoy.
    Sure, a person could get better results doing this or that, but no exercise is very effective if a person won't do it.
    I do what works and what I enjoy, knowing I have sacrificed progress given the reality of just working through an unpleasant exercise routine.
    I just won't do it.
    And at the end of the day, my results speak for itself.

And no, I do not do lunges.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BAHAHAHA! Ok....so totally just had this twisted...."how can butter and bacon relate to lunges and my body." So...you cook brussel sprouts in butter and bacon, well you cook lunges in Sweat and Fat! Burn Baby Burn!

On a more helpful side, I can't do very many full lunges yet, my knees feel as though they are going to blow out. I told myself I hated them until I started doing Jilian Michaels 30 day shred and she said that the modified version is ok too. Rather than killing myself by getting so low I can't get back up, I concentrate on doing really well formed half lunges and I get the same result.....I still can't get out of my office chair the next day, but at least I still have my knee caps....
    maybe it's like brussel sprouts, and they're better if you just cook them with butter and bacon.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    You don't have to like them. If you need to do them, do them.

We get up to go to work in the morning. So it should be with our fitness. JUST DO IT !!! (says me, lol)
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i don't step my feet out as far if i'm modifying squats. i also keep my feet shoulder width apart after I step back or forward. that makes it easy to balance. oh, and don't lean your torso forward. that's how I make squats easier, especially when I have to do a lot of them quickly. and you're right, they are crazily effective!!!!! :happy:
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'll never like them...but I do them anyways.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    * Someone once told me "Lunges are the differemce between granny panties and thongs." I think of that everytime I do lunges and it makes them seem easier, haha.

That there is funny! That'll bring a smile to my face next time!
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    GAH I know what you mean! I'm worried about my knees whenever I do them.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I actually kinda like them.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I dont like trainers that say this is what you have to do because its out of your comfort zone. You can make custom work outs that people can enjoy still getting the same results if not better and keeping the client happy is every thing. Its about pushing your thresholds not killing that person.
    Honestly if i could can put my foot up my *kitten* I am sure this will put me out of my comfort zone but I wouldnt enjoy that at all. Training doesnt have to be pure torture. Exercise can be customized to fit your needs and it can be fun also! There are MANY other ways you can hit the same muscle groups such as squats which to me feel way more comfortable and are just as effective if not more. If you dont like lunges then try another exercise that will benefit you all the same.. Take care and enjoy your exercises.
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I hate them too! I can barely get out of my desk chair right now because of them...and I hate squats, burpies, mountain climbers...oh yes. But there's nothing we can do about it but suck it up. I recommend putting some Five Finger Death Punch or Cancer Bats on your MP3 player and getting angry lol

That's what I'll do -- when doing lunges, remind myself they are NOT mountain climbers. I hate THOSE most of all! LOL
  • sunshinegirlnm
    Options
    Do them in Sun Salutations! :smile:

Sun-Salutationtransbck.gif

LOVE me some sun salutations! Good idea. Thanks!
  • sunshinegirlnm
    Options
    And the winning answer is....drumroll please.... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

* Someone once told me "Lunges are the differemce between granny panties and thongs." I think of that everytime I do lunges and it makes them seem easier, haha.

• Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing them! They will get easier. :)
  • 175to125
    Options
    Just think about how great they are for your butt! :D
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    the more you do them, the more you like them.
    eventually start doing them with weights in both hands. Once you increase the weight enough, then doing a lunge with no weight will be very enjoyable and easy and you will like it. lol
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I hate them too... So boring.

I think if you do them very slowly and with very heavy weights, they become OK-ish though (also you end up finishing them in 4-5 reps :laugh: ).
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keep doing them - start with static ones... where you don't step into the lunge - this will probably help you make sure you've got correct form & protect your knees

This time last year I could barely do 2 without crying in pain and dripping in sweat.... now I can do 10-20 without any problem...