Pet peeves at the gym-_-

Options

Replies

• missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1) People who talk to each other through the stalls when the locker room is obviously full of people. I just think it is totally awkward to talk to people when you're using the toilet. o.o Why??

2) People who just sit on machines and do nothing. Or they do like one set of five. Rest for five minutes. Do another set of five. It's one thing to take your time to make sure you don't hurt yourself, another to just **** around because you're bored.

3) This is probably the dumbest thing ever- but when someone is using weight machines and puts the weight so high they have to grimace like they're going to EXPLODE the whole time they're working out. It just looks unsafe. Like you're going to give yourself a hemorrhoid or something!

4) I've noticed at my gym, where the ab machines are, that people have a bad habit of placing their mats down RIGHT IN FRONT of a machine. Instead of giving someone space to use the machine without worrying about hurting someone else.

5) And- this may seem cruel- but people whose gym clothes don't fit. I'm a larger girl, sure, but I make sure I'm covered. I don't like it when a man or a woman is wearing shorts that are too short or shirts that expose their stomachs/guts. It doesn't look comfortable for one, and it just seems weird to not realize your clothes don't fit?
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have only one pet peeve. At my gym the walking track surrounds the entire fitness area, so you have to walk across part of it to enter or exit. It's really annoying, not to mention dangerous, when people walk across the track without checking to see if there are any oncoming walkers/runners. You wouldn't cross the street without checking for traffic, same principle here.

Sorry, I'm one of those folks who watch Food Network. Watching cooking shows de-stresses me, plus I can get a recipe here and there to try (except for Paula Deen and her 50 million sticks of butter, she's just strictly for entertainment value).
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    - Not cleaning up after yourself - Leaving sweat everywhere when there are disinfectant wipe stations all over the gym is unacceptable, don't be lazy.

- Dropping weights - The bigger dumbbells have been missing their partner more times than not this year because someone can't use 110's properly :|

- Meanmugging - Seriously, Affliction shirts at the gym do not make you a bad *kitten* nor mean you should try to stare everyone down
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is definately an awesome thread....I had to read it to make sure I wasn't doing anything too annoying! My biggest pet peeve is probably when I'm on one machine (and there are about 15 other ones available) and I get a person (usually an older guy) that has to jump on the machine right next to me....I don't get it...I thought the rules were the same as dudes had in the bathroom with urinals....If the place is empty-why are you RIGHT UP ON ME??? Anyway-this has been great reading!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm just impressed you know of the buffer urinal.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    whatever...

Live and let live, I say.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    When people keep farting while I'm on the elliptical and I still have over a half an hour to go... if it smells more than once get out of there!
    Ah, c'mon! He who smelt it, dealt it! 'Fess up!
    Whoever said the rhyme did the crime!
    ;D

haha! of course i've farted at the gym but i dont continuously offend if it smells!
  • debbie2268
    Options
    My pet peeves....1) the musclehead who grunts super loud then 2) drops the weights when he's done.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    My pet peeves....1) the musclehead who grunts super loud then 2) drops the weights when he's done.

i so agree! i hate when they drop the weights and its so loud i can hear it over my headphones...
    1542 Posts: 3
    Options
    My pet peeve is people who don't have experience with weights/machines and grab the heaviest weight with the worst form. I can't help but cringe waiting for their disc to bulge or their (insert vital joint or muslce here) to rip and give out - yikes! There are free orientations people!!! For the love of gawd!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Its annoying cuz they look at me (and trust me i can read their faces) and think "wow, shes going so slow.."
    Your mind-reading abilities are AMAZING!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Sound strange but it actually happen at my gym just about every day. I lap-swim, and it is annoying that you can see a bunch of guys coming in have "office meeting" in the jacuzzi with cellphones, notebooks, and all.

Also, I noticed this morning,, a guy get into pool, swam 2 laps and get out,, HE WHINED,, "water too cold" I thought,, whoa,, it's perfect temp for lap swimming!
  • jluera
    jluera Posts: 7
    Options
    hugest peeve....people that come in reeking of cologne or perfume. a) it stinks..... b) it causes me to start sneezing and pulls me out of my happy zone.... c) you are going to sweat and possibly smell like b.o. either way so why bother??
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Pahahahahahaa! thanks for the visual!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This dude was reading what looked like a legal brief in between sets this morning and the machine he used was the only one of its kind at the gym. I am not confrontational so I just used another machine hoping he'd be done by then. I did 4 sets and I came back and dude was still reading. I went to another machine...then another...then another...and still reading, by then I had to leave so I was frustrated but COME ON!!! Granted, I do sets fast with little to no rest in between but this dude really pissed me off. The gym is pretty empty in the morning and I guess he thought he could take his sweet *kitten* time.

Ok. now. relieved.
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Men who grunt and sound inappropriate, loud swearing, girls who wear booty shorts and then don't actually workout, they just walk around looking for attention or dates and text, people who don't restack weights properly, and people who talk during the entire length of a class and barely put effort into it. Why are you there then if you aren't going to work hard!???

Phew there are a million but it feels great that I'm not the only one with these kinds of pet peeves. It's just human nature I guess...

But I love new people who have new years resolutions to get in shape/lose weight- I just wish more people stuck it out, it's so admirable that they are putting in the effort at least!
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Options

i so agree! i hate when they drop the weights and its so loud i can hear it over my headphones...

Exactly! It just means they don't have control over the weight so they shouldn't be lifting that much anyway, right??
  • all4gabs2
    Options
    I'd have to say the texters. People who sit on the bike machine and text the whole time...like really?? To each his own, but I go to the gym to get my workout in and get out. I guess the gym is used for more than just exercising, some people just want an excuse to get out of the house.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This happened to me today..
    *saw guy put his towel on the cable machine I wanted... waited... did a few other lifts...*
    Went to do something else and I thought... hang on, he's walking around with a barbell..
    "Excuse me, are you finished with that machine?"
    "Oh, yeah, I was just using it as a towel rack."

WHFRJFEWlfhuwlehfla
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My three biggest pet peeves are:
    People who don't un-rack weights(If you can put ten 45 pound plates on a machine, then you can clearly take them off!)

The texters or phone callers(Seriously, get off the machine before I shoot you!)

People who wander up to my trainer when I'm clearly training with him and start a conversation(I get it, my trainer is a socializer. Yesterday though, three separate people came up to him.. one was just chatting, one wanted to borrow gloves that weren't even his in the first place and one asked if he could hold her locker key.. Seriously? When I get injured because people are stupid and can't realize this is not an appropriate time, someone is going down.)