which is harder for you - boredom eating or stress eating?

Options
I've always had a problem with the emotional ties of eating, if I'm upset food will comfort me. Breaking that habit has been one of the most difficult things I have done, but I think I am halfway there.

What do you find is the more difficult link for you?

Replies

• jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I am a bored eater, If I have nothing to do all eat something. Also I feel like I need to eat something while I watch T.V, or a movie. When I clearly dont!
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    Stress eating, specifically when I'm feeling anxious, is the big one for me. Food is calming and sedating.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Boredom. If I'm slow at work I will sit and snack all day. Same at home.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Boredom.

I'm not living a high stress life, so stress eating would be quite rare for me these days.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat out of boredom more often than I do out of stress, but I'm quite happy to do both! :ohwell:
    I find curbing the bordom eating easier than the stress, because I'm sitting around thinking about it, but with stress eating its an imediate reaction and often I've done it before I even realised I was eating something if that makes sense.
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    I am the same way, when watching tv or a movie... that is a really hard time for me! Have you found anything that helps?
  • Dixiegirl532
    Options
    Boredom is sometimes really bad but stress eating is definitely worse for me. If I'm anxious and stressed its like I loose all control.
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    Boredom...especially at work. I end up snacking on too much crap and I'm not even hungry.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I do both. Mostly boredom eating though. The difference for me is that I can eat healthy when I'm boredom eating. When stess eating, unfortunately, broccoli and grilled chicken don't make it better as well as nachos, chocolate and vodka.
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    I'm not working right now, and my classes dont start until the 17th... so I am home trying not to "fridge-raid"... it's not as easy as it sounds!!
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am a bored eater, If I have nothing to do all eat something. Also I feel like I need to eat something while I watch T.V, or a movie. When I clearly dont!

This. Which is why I now knit. Keeps my hands busy and full.
  • RoxRae
    RoxRae Posts: 60
    Options
    I am a bored eater AND an emotional eater. Double whammy!! I find myself wanting to munch on something when I'm bored and I really want to eat if I get mad or frustrated. Yesterday afternoon I found myself wanting something and I chewed the HECK out of a piece of gum! :)
  • grandmatbigsky
    Options
    Definitely e-mo eating... esp. if I'm angry. Stuffing something sweet in the mouth stuffs the anger down..maybe because I hate conflict. But then again...I'm faced with internal conflict over over-eating!! So it's best to calm down, face the issues with a heart quieted by prayer, and deal with what's really driving me. That takes time... and consideration; moreso than simply "stuffing" :):wink:
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do both and I am surely a procrastinating eater too.. If I don't want to do something I will just eat something instead of getting to it.. bad bad habits..
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can find any reason to eat! I eat when Im bored, depressed, sad, happy, anxious, ect.! I just love food! Apparently though, I have loved food more than myself. Now Im learning how to change that:)
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    so what has everyone done that helps them, when bored, not to eat when not hungry? I could use some tips :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!

One of the reasons I go to the gym 6 days a week is to not be bored at home in the evenings. In the past I could sit down in front of the idiot box at around 7 pm (after supper) and consume a 2 Litre bottle of Coke + big bag of chips and a 500ml container of sour cream based dip before heading to bed.

Add stress into the scenario and you can add in a 2x trio stop at McDonald's on my way home for supper!

Now I am not bored as I am active every day and when I am stressed. I go to the gym and hit the heavy bag or do some fast skip rope for a few rounds. Calms me right down!

I would even make the argument that my gym membership costs me less than what I was spending on junk food per month!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    boredome eating. When I'm stressed I have no appetite.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I am the same way, when watching tv or a movie... that is a really hard time for me! Have you found anything that helps?
    I chew a lot of gum now. Also I try to just avoid watching TV what-so-ever. I could probably be doing something more productive with my time.
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    I can find any reason to eat! I eat when Im bored, depressed, sad, happy, anxious, ect.! I just love food! Apparently though, I have loved food more than myself. Now Im learning how to change that:)

I understand that completely, loving food more than yourself... sounds like you are definitely on the right path, though!