which is harder for you - boredom eating or stress eating?

Options

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My problem is DEFINITELY from boredom. I'm a SAHM so I'm at home all day long with the food. And the majority of my day feels like it's in the kitchen either preparing a meal, serving a meal, cleaning up a meal, doing dishes, packing lunches, etc...so whenever I am sitting down and not doing something, I always have water by me and I try to read during "my time." I love to read and it helps a lot because I get so engrossed in the story that I don't think about food, plus my hands aren't free because they are holding the book (or for me, my phone since I read on my kindle).
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    Used to be both. When bored I would graze the fridge. Now the rule is no food outside the kitchen/dinning area. This kills the snacking at the computer which was a huge issue since I telecommute a lot. The other was overworking myself which fueled more snacking. This year I'm making time for myself, cutting down on over committing, and stop sweating the small stuff.

Keeping junk food out of the house also helps. If there is nothing "snackable" you'll look at the fridge and do something else. Assuming you don't live next door to fast food locations this should work ;-)

very true... if its not there, you cant have it!
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater. If I'm bored and near food, I eat it.....:(
  • sparklensh9
    Options
    I'm New to myfitnesspal and it' nice to know that I'm not alone. I do both. But anxiety gets me with sweets, always want sweets when I get stressed. So now i'm not medicine for anxiety. That's helping some. Then the boredom eating I think is worse cause I'll eat anything and don't even really think about it until after I've eaten and wishing I had not. Thanks for the tips...i'm going to have to start chewing gum.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Boredom all the way! I too have resorted to gum to help the issue. :laugh:
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    boredom eating! I am have to purposefully leave the house so I don't have the munchies
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keeping junk food out of the house also helps. If there is nothing "snackable" you'll look at the fridge and do something else. Assuming you don't live next door to fast food locations this should work ;-)

I do this. It annoys quite a few people when they go through looking for a soda, chips, or something....
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i am more of a boredom eater. there is ususally always food aroundn wen i am bored so thats what i go after!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't remember when I had time to be bored, and luckily I don't stress eat because I have a lot of stress. My problem has always been social eating. When I'm out at a restaurant, party or other social gathering I tend to eat and drink way too much. My family is very food oriented and all gatherings call for lots of food. And it's a very large family so there are frequent gatherings.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    On the up side, there is a study that shows eating the same foods and getting bored of them can help you lose weight.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110722/food-boredom-may-lead-to-weight-loss

"Researchers found that when people were offered the same food over and over again, they tended to eat less overall."

Problem is, we all have access to such a wide variety of food. So unless you stock your house with the same food, only eat that food even when out of the house, and force yourself to be bored with it, this won't work. I can see it though, I love chocolate mousse and similar foods. Give it to me every day, I will lose interest...eventually. No telling how many pounds I'd gain first, though!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just an eater........I work at school so we just got back, I do notice that when I'm not at school I don't have to eat every 2 hours........I just seem to be starving....
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    boredom eating. I get bored at work a lot and have to make sure I don't bring money so I can't buy anything. hahah
  • kazpixie
    Options
    Totally boredom eating, if I'm running around all day then i'll barely even think about food until my tummy starts being vocal!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Boredom totally!!!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Boredom and being hungry.
  • Amyla30
    Amyla30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I put positive quotes and pictures of fit people on my fridge to remind me of what my goal is. It really helps me not to overeat sometimes.
  • KingdomHeiress5
    KingdomHeiress5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had more of a problem eating due to stress; however there are times where I've done the absolute opposite of not eating while I was stress. When that was the case when I finally did eat, I would eat all of the wrong things. Just this week during a stressful day it would have been so easy to turn to a pint of Ben and Jerry's. I'm trying to find other outlets now.
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    When I stress out... I don't want to eat... makes me feel sick.

I am a boredom eater... but have been teaching myself not to eat when I'm that way.

I'm slowly reteaching myself. Mind over matter. I ask myself, "why am I eating"? If I don't FEEL empty in my stomach... I'm NOT HUNGRY!
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Boredom eating is definately worse for me. I usually can't eat if I'm stressed
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    mine is boredom eating.. I eat when I am bored.... lol...