Shakeology VS Herbalife

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    why does it have to be a cult thing? Protein powder people arent cult like?
    Did anyone say that protein powder people are cultists?

The two organizations are cult-like in that they recruit heavily. Relax.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Ever known someone who signed up to sell those Cutco knives?

OMG yes. Me, when I was much younger and very naive (and stupid). I pretty much got out in a hurry though after the orientation - never actually sold any.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I use the herbalife shake in between my breakfast and lunch. Its only 90 calories. I add fruit and it helps me make it to lunch. Some people use it instead of a meal...... Sorry but I'd rather eat something to help me lose weight.

Can you post the ingredient list?

I just took a look at it, as suspected it uses inferior forms of vitamins and minerals, soy protein, an herbal diuretic and bunch of label filler

I was looking for an ingredient that surpresses hunger too.

it has a bit of bulk fiber in it (psyllium husk) that's about it as far as i can see
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm bad about eating my veggies so for me Shakeology is just what I needed! and it makes me want to eat clean! I stay away from all the sweet treats and what not!

I love the chocolate as you can make it with anything! I usually do it as a snack more than a meal replacement!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Herbalife I don't know about but Shakeology is a MLM (Multi-Level Marketing). To me that translates to scam. Other well known MLM's are Amway and Mary Kay cosmetics.

I'm just curious and realize I'm going off topic, but how is Mary Kay a scam? I don't sell it or buy it on the regular. But I'm confused by that statement.

Well they sign you up to sell their products, and offer you a profit for it. But first you have to buy their merchandise. Then you sell it to your friends and family. The prices are higher because Mary Kay has to make money and you have to make money.

Also many MLM's have set-ups that involve profits for the people who enlist others to sell the product, so it's not just about selling the merchandise, it's about recruiting others to do the same. And the high prices are a part of that. They tell you you're buying a more "quality" product. With ingredients or special powders or quality that you can't find anywhere else.

Only MLM's operate this way. No reputable company needs to do business this way. There are all sorts of meeting and sales pitches where the people doing the selling are sold expensive "training materials". Over 90% of people involved in MLM's lose money. They are constantly being investigated by the Better Business Bureau. Other countries ban the practice.

I know a scam when I hear one.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    WOWZERS guys! Lets focus on the more important things in life like......
    Toilet paper over or under roll?
    LOL
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I used to get herbalife shakes, figured it was healthier for me when I was out running errands than going through Mcdonalds. I bought a couple canisters of the mix because it tastes good and was a healthy snack for my kids. i'm not hardcore though, and now I buy just regular protein powder for supplements.
  • scapez
    Options
    LOL

OVER!!!!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Ever known someone who signed up to sell those Cutco knives?

OMG yes. Me, when I was much younger and very naive (and stupid). I pretty much got out in a hurry though after the orientation - never actually sold any.

My boyfriend did cutco for all of two weeks before he quit! They were total jerks! Never even pay you for the hours of training you do. Hate Cutco hate hate hate.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One thing about "MLM". It's not a scam. It is a viable sales technique. the Pyramid is the scam. Storefronts cost lots of money, so if you can get people to sell them from home where they have no overhead you make more money. Co. stands for Corporation, not Charity. they are there to make money, but there has to be a product that works for enough people to keep them comming back or you go out of business. If it didn't work for you, sorry, keep trying. I had a set of Cooper tires on my wife's Mazda for nearly 4 years. My father in law got a set, and they were gone in 8 months. His driving style is different than mine (just like your metabolism and body chemistry is different than mine) so of course the product will not react the same for him as it did me. But to "someone" all of these products do, or did work just fine or great. I've owned several Cutco knives in my day. I have one in my knife block right now that needs 1/2 the sharpening that the Wusthof knives do, and Wusthof knives are one of the best on the planet. Their chemistry was good and their product was good. It was just a poor way, in my opinion, to sell. Lots of people look at it as a get rich quick. But most people that start those sales programs are too embarassed to actually sell to anyone they don't know, so they fail. Nothing to do with the product.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    LOL

OVER!!!!

EXACTLY!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I was looking for an ingredient that surpresses hunger too.
    [/quote]

The prolessa is supposed to be better for the hunger supressing, but it's SUPER pricey in addition to the shakes. I'd skip it.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    LOL
    OVER!!!!
    EXACTLY!
    While over is more pleasing aesthetically, I do under because it makes the tearing easier.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Herbalife I don't know about but Shakeology is a MLM (Multi-Level Marketing). To me that translates to scam. Other well known MLM's are Amway and Mary Kay cosmetics.
    I'm just curious and realize I'm going off topic, but how is Mary Kay a scam? I don't sell it or buy it on the regular. But I'm confused by that statement.
    He listed them as being an MLM -- which they are.

I know they are MLM. I know what that means. He also said that he equates - oh excuse me - translates MLM to scam. So I think it would be reasonable for me to follow that since he translates MLM to scam and listed Mary Kay as a MLM that he translates Mary Kay to scam. But thanks for clarifying that for me. :huh:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am a user and distributor of Herbalife. It is 100% effective in more than just weight loss.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I use the herbalife shake in between my breakfast and lunch. Its only 90 calories. I add fruit and it helps me make it to lunch. Some people use it instead of a meal...... Sorry but I'd rather eat something to help me lose weight.

Can you post the ingredient list?

I just took a look at it, as suspected it uses inferior forms of vitamins and minerals, soy protein, an herbal diuretic and bunch of label filler
    Don't be a dupe and get sucked in.
    I can't tell you how many garage sales I've been to where people are trying to just cut their losses with these awful products.

And about 3 times a year I'll hear from somebody I have not seen in a while, and it's not long before they're inviting me to an AMWAY meeting or some other absurd variation.

I say again, RUN!!!
    :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • scapez
    Options
    LOL
    OVER!!!!
    EXACTLY!
    While over is more pleasing aesthetically, I do under because it makes the tearing easier.

Now I'm going to have to test this at home, as I've always believed the over tear is easier than the under tear. :laugh:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard the nutrients in herbalife are supper crappy low quality. Someone on here did the research and I'm not sure where the thread is. I have had herballife though and it is tastey but what I've read and the eval done on my by them was TOTAL bull****, the person that owned the store and the company really misinformed me. I also don't know anyone who's lost weight with it, including myself, and knew all the customers and employees where I went.

I don't recommend herbalife

strongly disagree. Do YOUR OWN research if you want to be educated!
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Well they sign you up to sell their products, and offer you a profit for it. But first you have to buy their merchandise. Then you sell it to your friends and family. The prices are higher because Mary Kay has to make money and you have to make money.

Also many MLM's have set-ups that involve profits for the people who enlist others to sell the product, so it's not just about selling the merchandise, it's about recruiting others to do the same. And the high prices are a part of that. They tell you you're buying a more "quality" product. With ingredients or special powders or quality that you can't find anywhere else.

Only MLM's operate this way. No reputable company needs to do business this way. There are all sorts of meeting and sales pitches where the people doing the selling are sold expensive "training materials". Over 90% of people involved in MLM's lose money. They are constantly being investigated by the Better Business Bureau. Other countries ban the practice.

I know a scam when I hear one.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't see that as a scam. I see it as business model. There are many different business models. Some MLM behave in a more honest and ethical behavior than others. They are not all created equal.

I've been to several Mary Kay parties and I don't ever remember the pitch being it's a more "quality" product as opposed to Oil of Olay or MAC, or Clinique. But they do market it as a quality product and a good value for your money. I mean we are talking cosmetics here. They have to differentiate themselves. I would expect a company to stand by the quality of their product though. So that doesn't surprise me.

I MLM works for a certain type of salesperson. I'm not that salesperson.

But again, just my personal opinion.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    One thing about "MLM". It's not a scam. It is a viable sales technique. the Pyramid is the scam. Storefronts cost lots of money, so if you can get people to sell them from home where they have no overhead you make more money. Co. stands for Corporation, not Charity. they are there to make money, but there has to be a product that works for enough people to keep them comming back or you go out of business. If it didn't work for you, sorry, keep trying. I had a set of Cooper tires on my wife's Mazda for nearly 4 years. My father in law got a set, and they were gone in 8 months. His driving style is different than mine (just like your metabolism and body chemistry is different than mine) so of course the product will not react the same for him as it did me. But to "someone" all of these products do, or did work just fine or great. I've owned several Cutco knives in my day. I have one in my knife block right now that needs 1/2 the sharpening that the Wusthof knives do, and Wusthof knives are one of the best on the planet. Their chemistry was good and their product was good. It was just a poor way, in my opinion, to sell. Lots of people look at it as a get rich quick. But most people that start those sales programs are too embarassed to actually sell to anyone they don't know, so they fail. Nothing to do with the product.

And here come the pitches.

"If it didn't work for you that's your fault! Other people love herbal supplements/homeopathy/expensive lipstick/fancy knives." Let me guess the fact that these herbal products use trace amounts of the nutrients they brag about or that their claims can not be substantiated by the FDA is meaningless, right? All that matters is if it works for one person, and everyone is different... we're all little snowflakes and if one person likes it it MUST be a good product!

Another common trait of the people you'll find here defending Shakeology or HCG or anything else, they have a low post count. Now that may not mean anything. But I always find it strange that there's this army of defenders for these questionable products that never say anything else on the forums, but the minute you disparage their pet product they post in force. Strange. It's almost like they're a paid schill for the products they're defending...
This discussion has been closed.