WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love how people got so defensive.

I think keeping it open to friends not only keeps you accountable but gives other people ideas of what to eat. Or they can see how sometimes you can mix bad food in and still have an okay day. Or How you can have a slice of pizza and control yourself.

I love how some people jumped to the conclusion that because it is private, you are hiding stuff, lazy, not working hard.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to the public. My friends have proven to be very valuable in offering suggestions/changes as I go along. I also send my food diaries to my dietician.

As far as others go they can feel free to look anytime they want. I feel like I am always learning and helpful suggestions are appreciated. I enjoy reading others diaries for ideas on food that I havent thought of or that I want to try.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    My diary, like my profile, is open to my friends. I could care less if someone wants to keep their diary private. However, don't comment on mine, if I can't even see yours. Fair enough, I think.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    WOW...some people need to relax, it was just a question. I personally like mine open to my pals...if they want to ***** about what food choises I make then.... there is always a delete button. It helps me a bunch when I can see what others eat, it gives me ideas for myself.

^^This
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my MFP friends only because I don't really care to share with people who aren't interested in keeping up with me. And I don't look at the diaries of others if they aren't in my friends list.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I eat a very, very strange diet and people have blasted me in the past for what I eat.

I was a diabetic (type 2) and I have a crazy metabolism. My diet is 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb. It has stablized my blood sugar and helped me lose weight. People read what I eat and tell me I am going to kill my self eating like this.

Um, I was dying eating a "balanced" diet.

My cholesterol is 155 now. my BP is excellent. So, this works for me!
  • cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    I went through an unhealthy cycle of eating very few calories and then binge eating... MFP has helped, but I still see that cycle present in a lot of my food diary entries. HOWEVER, this month I decided to make my journal public (to friends) to help keep me accountable. Having their support will hopefully demotivate my binges, and push me toward healthier eating. Honesty is key though! I pledge to be honest when I log my foods, no matter how embarrassed I can sometimes be about them.
    That’s terrific. I’m glad you are working through your obstacle. I’m not here to judge.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't know if mine is hidden or not....*shrugs* Look if you can and you will see I allow for beer everyday :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • tanyacc
    tanyacc Posts: 15
    Options
    I have mine open to my friends, I find it really motivating for me when they acknowledge the good foods Ive eaten for the day. It keeps me going for another day. I havent come across any judgemental people yet, just the occasional bit of advice which I dont mind at all. I like to look at other peoples diary as well, so I can encourage my friends.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't know if mine is hidden or not....*shrugs* Look if you can and you will see I allow for beer everyday :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Beer everyday is awesome! Or wine if you so choose!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    -raises her hand- I got trashed on a forum thread based on some stranger going into my public food diary and deciding to tear apart everything I ate. I think I'd been on MFP for merely a few days. It went to friends only then and there.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What I put in my body is my business. I am MORE honest with myself than with anyone else, so having a private diary works for me. If I am ever struggling and need advice, I will open it to my friends, but that isn't the case.

This to for me! Mine is private and I will keep it that way. It's been working for me and I don't see the need to change it.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i don't fill it in. i fill in a paper diary... it's much quicker than doing it on here. and i don't count calories that closely. i use MFP for tracking my exercise and weight, not my food.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am very open and very accountable. I am my own taskmaster. I had mine public, but started getting naggy, ill-informed and non-constructive criticisms from some people who had to nit-pick every little thing. I have a health condition that really limits what I can and can not eat. I got tired of dealing with it.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am very open and very accountable. I am my own taskmaster. I had mine public, but started getting naggy, ill-informed and non-constructive criticisms from some people who had to nit-pick every little thing. I have a health condition that really limits what I can and can not eat. I got tired of dealing with it.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree.. i think its because they don't want to be held accountable...or to me are they being completely honest?

could not disagree with this more. I know people who have public diaries that do not log everything they eat because they don't want people questioning it. I've found most of my friends have private diaries and they are 100% honest with themselves.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options

I love how some people jumped to the conclusion that because it is private, you are hiding stuff, lazy, not working hard.

Amen
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My diary is for me to track my calories. I am happy with my diet and happy with my progress, I don't want or need unsolicited comments, however well meaning. For the first 4 months of using MFP I didn't even realise there was a 'community' board!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Mine is hidden for now. I find that with it hidden, I log EVERYTHING I eat and enjoy logging. When I have it open, I tend to not log on my "bad days" because it gives me anxiety which leads to not logging everyday. So it has nothing to do with "being accountable" as some have said, at least not for me. It's a personal preference and it works for me right now.