WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• jenhowse1
    Options
    I've set mine to be open in the hope that someone will look at it and give me a good kick if needed! I'm doing a race in 7 weeks time where I need to make weight and weigh in at 135lb or less
    So far had no comments - some would be welcome!
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Because I only want to use it to keep track of my calories, not so much a food diary to see where I'm going wrong etc. Whilst I am watching what I eat, I'm not doing it fastidiously and some days I don't fill in my diary at all. Some days I'll only fill in one meal, just out of interest to see how many calories it was.
  • cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    ...i really do not mean to pick on this particular person, but really? some of you need to grow up....some people have issues you have been fortunate not to encounter - yet.
    Butters1,I don’t know who you are referring to.
    I don't care if people have them private or not, however...... don't ask me to support you and keep it private because I can't support the unknown. I have seen many diaries where people are only logging 500 calories a day on a regular basis and those 500 (give or take of course) being nothing but junk food... these people of course asking for support and then getting mad when the obvious and ongoing lack of nutrition is mentioned, so if I can't see it, I'm not saying "good job" just because it says you're under calories!

Whew... I feel better now!
    Exactly!
    Because I'm a lush and don't need everyone to know how much of my calories are consumed in wine. *shrug* just being honest lol
    I like you! I’m quite the lush too! However, my diary is public…..I guess I just feel like f*** it! I dunno
    Then you'd know I eat 2,000cals of white chocolate pudding erry day.
    Lol
    Even though its public it still does not give someone the right to tell me what I am doing it wrong.

No two people will have the same weight loss journey that is why it is a journey not a diet.
    Indeed! Well stated.
    Getting worked up because someone doesn't have their diary open is only working up you and not the person with the closed diary.
    Demery….Nobody said I was getting “worked up”! I was just curious to why other’s kept theirs private. Whether they thought it benefited them or not. Their experience….that’s all.
    DEAL WITH IT. This kind of post is why I do keep my private. I don't need anyone else judging my failures or mistakes. I do enough of that on my own. :P
    No judging here.
    go back to facebook. this **** is stupid
    Whatever…..no one forced you to come here and read this post.
    Mine is public (or it was last time I checked) and in close to a year on MFP, I don't think I've ever had a complete stranger comment on it...my friends sometimes comment or make suggestions, but never in a hurtful or derogatory manner. Maybe I just have awesome MFPals?
    I’ve never had a complete stranger comment on mine. I’m thinking the same thing about my friends…..never had any derogatory comments. And if need be…..I have a delete button. =)
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private but 100% log in everything. If ive gone over my calories I often say why as a status or comment. I wouldn't lie as I would only be fooling myself. I don't feel the need to share what I eat, I only record it on here so I can manage my calorie intake and understand what I'm eating and keep myself on track. It was a big thing for me to come on here and share my weight and goals, I just don't feel I need to share my food diary.
  • cariliz
    cariliz Posts: 82
    Options
    Its a personal decision which I respect either way. I do, however, believe we learn from each other and can support one another better with open diaries. I'm about to implement a policy of not commenting on someone's status update of whether they met or exceeded calorie goal unless the diary is open. There is so much to be ascertained from seeing what choices the person made for the day. Again, it is not judgmental in any sense. We are all FAM here in my view committed to a healthy and fit lifestyle. Moreover, there is no need to lie or omit items in your diary. We all fall short some days. That is human nature. What we are learning here is how to minimize the damage and get back on track as soon as possible. One <3..
    Nicely stated.
    I did have mine open at one time..but i felt so judged..I am thinking of opening it with a key..my trainer reviews mine weekly so I guess I don't feel like I need anyone else to hold me accountable :)
    Understandable….and thanks….I didn’t even know MFP had a “key” option.
    b/c you think this doesnt make it true. im not sure why folks do this and i dont care. i no longer post that ive completed my diary but my friends can view if they like. its a personal choice, no hidden agenda. just let people be!
    First of all, wow! I am letting people “be”! I was asking to see what others felt the benefits (or not) for them. Whether they have had it both public & private and what helped them the most. smh
  • SaltyPlusSweet
    Options
    I think I've been scared of people judging me. Like, even if I am within the right limits of calories ~ will they judge me for not eating the right sort of food etc.

^this xD but I think today I will put it public for all too see :blushing: see how that goes.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I've never had this problem, but I've heard others say people were rude about what they were eating.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was closed, but I just opened mine up today, but I was on hiatus for several months, but now I'm back. [PS; thanks for the almost twenty pounds, hiatus!]
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    The way i see it is.....

if you can not be truthfull to yourself you can not be truthfull to others right....and if you are not 100% truthfull on this journey you will not sucseed! :drinker:
  • amaion17
    amaion17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just trying to maintain weight and keep track of calories i still eat a lot of processed and fast foods and the calories can add up so jusr trying to write it all down makes me eat healthier when i have to account for it. plus im also tying to work on toning once a week and cardio a few times a week i write the calories burned so i can eat a little more so my matabolism doesnt slow down. my sister tracks her food on here because shes doing the hcg thing so we're friends, i dont need to make my diary public because i guess i dont need all that motavation.. ty
  • CindyCountingCalories
    Options
    I don't want everyone to know that I drink beer for breakfast. It is my secret.:drinker:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A calorie is a calorie, lol! I would love to see your new years food dairy then I'll let you can see mine :drinker:
  • JessStapes
    Options
    Mine is viewable to my friends, and many of my friends have theirs viewable to me. I don't judge or feel judged, I just think it's a good way to get other meal ideas. I have the tendency to eat the same things over and over, so I appreciate it when friends share something new.
  • SafariLara
    Options
    I think I've been scared of people judging me. Like, even if I am within the right limits of calories ~ will they judge me for not eating the right sort of food etc.

Same reasoning with me. I eat really well with calories but I'm worried people will be up in my face about not eating enough of one food group or too much of another. So I love apples and SO what if I eat 3 a day? Mind your own beeswax. LOL that's why mine is private
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to MFP friends, but am going to open it up to the public. What I am doing is working for ME :smile: :smile: :smile: and I will happily accept any suggestions, concerns or criticisms. Perhaps my diary will be beneficial to someone else. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tonid2011
    Options
    di·a·ry   /ˈdaɪəri/ Show Spelled[dahy-uh-ree] Show IPA
    noun, plural -ries.
    1. a daily record, USUALLY PRIVATE, especially of the writer's own experiences, observations, feelings, attitudes, etc.
    2. a book for keeping such a record.
    3. a book or pad containing pages marked and arranged in calendar order, in which to note appointments and the like.

How bout we reverse the question for curiousity purposes...

Why does anyone keep their diary public?
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I write very personal notes under each log. Hence the word "diary." And do not feel confident/comfortable sharing my habits. I am trying to recover and would love to share my diary when it is well-balanced and nutritious. Not embarrassing, shameful or scary.

I hear ya.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    A person's food diary is automatically set to private by MFP, they have to set it to public. My diary is private to everyone. Why? Because, I don't diet or should I say it this way for people that look at "I don't diet" as being wrong. I am not on a diet. I don't believe in diets. I've heard about people keeping a food diary, since the 90's and if that's what people want to do. Good for them. I can't log my food on here or in a personal diary. I don't want to think about everything that I have ate that day. I aim to eat 1500 calories a day. MFP has me set for a higher calories amount. Speaking about MFP calorie settings. A lot of people have a problem with people cheering people on, when they see MFP state the person was under their calorie intake. Well, these people need to stop worrying about people cheering people on. Why?, because like me, some people might not eat as much food as MFP set them to. If regular calories amount is in the healthy range, leave them be. Some days, I might eat the amount of calories that MFP has set me to or even more. I do do intense workouts and to me, the more intense the workouts, the more you have to eat, but if I am not hungry, I will not eat more.

I don't even log my workouts. I come on MFP to encourage and motivate people. I join a lot of health sites, pages, etc. to encourage and motivate people and there's nothing wrong with that.

I believe in eating anything that I want, unless I'm told by my doctor not to eat it, due to health reason. The food pyramid in my opinion is the best way to eat, as well as moderation and portion control. I don't need anyone telling me I shouldn't eat this or that. My food is for me and not for everyone else.
  • Alycyn1980
    Alycyn1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I log everything i eat and feel ok ( most of the time ) with what i eat but if i had to share it - i'm afraid i wouldn't log EVERYTHING! I'm just not comfortable sharing that info xx

I feel the same, I think that I would purposely leave things off or change the quantities to make it work that so that I was within my calorie goal! For this reason I am keeping mine private!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I keep a food diary because I'm a nerd who enjoys charts, graphs, and statistics. Progress (or lack thereof) can easily be tracked by what I chose to eat in a given day and my body composition / performance is certainly affected by the levels of calories and macros I consume. So, I enjoy being anal retentive and tracking it. I've tried NOT tracking it and got generally lazy about making good decisions. So! Need to keep a log or accountability in some form.

It works for me, I keep it open to whoever actually cares to look at what I eat.

I've never been attacked by anyone for what I ate in a given day (and believe me, I've had some baaaad days) so if there's someone that's regularly doing that to you, my advice is to delete them from your friends list.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree.. i think its because they don't want to be held accountable...or to me are they being completely honest?

First - I don't need to be held accountable to anyone but myself.
    Second - I am brutally honest about what I eat. I OVER estimate most of the time.
    Third - I used to have my diary 'open'. God forbid if I treated myself by having a doughnut or some chocolate. The judgements came in thick and fast. THIS is the main reason I closed it to others.