WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Actually, by keeping it private, one is holding oneself accountable. And who controls what goes in your mouth? YOU!! not the people looking at your diary. There are alot of great people on MFP for help and motivation, but in the end, it is the individual who ate the right thing, exercised and met their goals. I joined in May, kept mine private and lost 29 pounds and have reached my goal. The only one who held me accountable was ME!!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Then you'd know I eat 2,000cals of white chocolate pudding erry day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    mine is only open to friends. I don't keep it public because people like to chime in on what you are eating even when you don't ask their opinion.

I think different diets work for different people. What works for me might not for someone else. What works for someone else might not work for me.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Mines private, anyone got a problem with that..lets take it outside and ......count cals??:wink:
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    WOW!
  • happybrooke
    Options
    I've noticed on some boards that when people post things, other members will go read their diary and then post their findings as a way to knock on something they said. I think that is very immarture, but its bothersome too.
    I KNOW what I should be doing, but we all have good days and bad days and sometimes I give in to a craving. And honestly, I should be able to. If I'm exercising, then I should be able to enjoy something in moderation. I would NOT want to have advice or my opinion knocked down simply because I decided to eat chocoloate or potato chips. Or be accused of starving myself when I simply just didn't log everything. I guess I didn't realize that there were different level of settings, but I probably won't be changing mine. I still like it private, for no known reason. That comforts me, I guess. Although, you've raised a good question and I'm contemplating changing it.
  • ambut
    ambut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's not something I feel like sharing, especially with all of the unsolicited advice that seems awfully common here and on other sites. If it were set to public by default, I might never have changed it, but I am happier leaving it set to private. I eat some pretty terrible food sometimes (or all the time, depending on your definition of "terrible"), and I hold myself accountable for every calorie - with notable success, thus far. So if I'm doing well, losing weight and feeling healthier, and then I eat some french fries, I don't want to have to think, "what will internet strangers think when they see that I had this?" Which I *would* worry about, so I don't do that. If I know I'm going to go to an unhealthy place with something, then I don't do it.

I also really don't want people telling me that I shouldn't eat red meat, any meat, dairy, white flour, sugar, starches, non-organic veggies and fruits, processed foods, or any meals more than 500 calories. That leaves me with literally no foods that I eat. It's working for me the way it is, so I'm leaving it the way it is. My reaction to the question that started this thread, in all my defensive/reactionary glory, is, "why do you give a sh-t?" *shrugs* Just my two cents.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Until recently I kept my private as I emailed my food daily to my OA sponsor and did not feel the need to have my diary public. However I have changed it as what I eat or don't eat might help someone. Even though its public it still does not give someone the right to tell me what I am doing it wrong.

No two people will have the same weight loss journey that is why it is a journey not a diet.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends, not to the rest of MFP. I have nothing to hide, and am very honest when logging, I welcome comments and constructive criticism from my friends, but my husbands ex- girlfriend has a tendency to cyber stalk me so I keep all of online profiles set to private, this includes my diary.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Some of us have bad relationships with food, and don't feel comfortable sharing what we eat. Especially those of us who have either suffered from eating disorders or are currently suffering from an eating disorder.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    I hear people love to ***** so I will not risk pwning their *kitten* because I eat sweets like a mofo
  • maflanc
    Options
    Why would people want to look at what Im eating? I dont care what you eat. I didnt even know I could look at other people's diaries.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I hold myself accountable. I know what works for me and it is working for me. I've tried tweaking my menu like others tell me to do and then I fail. I'm quite secure about my diary. When I plateau, I may open my diary. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • kelzz33z
    kelzz33z Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started wht mfp on Jan 2, I had mine private until I read your post, I guess I am a little uncomfortable with members reading what I eat. But I like the most of us here, are here for a reason, and I will have my good and my bad days, and would hope that only encouaging "words" will be written, no one needs scrunity as we are all only human. Though I have read through other diaries not to judge but to get ideas on what are good meals and snacks that I would not of thought of on my own. I am here for the long haul and hope to encourgae those I meet along the way and hope for encouragement in return. :flowerforyou:
  • Perseverance10910
    Perseverance10910 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    blank
  • LeahLive66
    LeahLive66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize mine was set to private, it's viewable by my friends now. :smile:
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only. I have no desire for someone to push their ideas of what a diet means on me. I have seen too many others criticized (without asking for opinions mind you) for their choices. If I ask for help, then I will open it up and expect criticism. But unwanted, unsolicited advice pisses me off, so I keep it locked except to those I have grown to know and trust. My two cents.

This.^^
  • leftymae5454
    Options
    I don't care who see minds or not it is open for everyone to see, I don't care who comment postive or negative about what I am eating or not eating.

Because I am the only person holding ME accountable!

By the way I had Church's Fried Chicken for dinner just in case someone waiting to see my dairy:)
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Because what I eat is my business. As far as others keeping me accountable, I'm not looking for that. I remember all too well that this time 2 years ago I was fat and miserable. Today I am fit, healthy, happier and loving that the plus-size section of the department store is in the distant past, which is enough to keep me accountable and motivated.

For those who have no problem sharing their diary, that's great. But everyone has to approach their journey in the way that suits them best, and shouldn't be shamed into doing something they're not comfortable with.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Why does other peoples food Diary's being open or closed even matter. We are each on here for ourselves. The point of the food diary is for the person who has the diary to keep track or not of their own intake. Getting worked up because someone doesn't have their diary open is only working up you and not the person with the closed diary.

I personally keep mine closed because it is a tool for me to learn where I am doing too much and where I am slacking. I'm on here to lose weight for myself. Other's opinions of what I eat is counter productive to me learning what is good/not good for me and my body. It is my job to figure that out, to learn about what makes my body tick or not.

Each of us is so very different and what works for one may not work for another. Pushing ideas on someone may not work for them and push them back to where they started. Not everyone on here has the self esteem or confidence to field the wrong or unwanted advise. It truly is a personal choice that should not be looked down upon.

Oh and I very very rarely look at anyone's food diary. I give encouragement when they are exercising or doing something good for themselves. I would rather focus on the positive that they are doing for themselves and encourage that to continue. Reinforcing the positive changes they make with the excercise to get healthy goes alot farther than discussing their eating habits.