WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• mariamikulich
    Options
    I never see anyone's food diary that is not hidden. Just curious, where are the ones that are not hidden at. They are not in the home page.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The reason mine is locked is because I got tired of people telling me i wasn't eating enough, and my body would go into starvation mode.
    I'm 51 yrs old, I know all of this. I actually HAVE continued to lose the weight and eat the same way, I know my body & what works for me. I get annoyed when people tell me I need to eat more.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to private and I don't worry about accountability to others. I am accountable to myself. It is important to me that I can make smart choices (at least most of the time), without the approval of all who know me. This is a change I am making for life and I don't think any food is off limits - logging food helps me to see the numbers in what I eat. I love fruits and vegetables, meat, grains, chocolate, marzipan...one of my greatest challenges has been appropriate portions. What really helps me is the big green or red number at the top of my home page. Looking and that and being hungry inspires me to exercise. The weight I am losing and increasing energy I am feeling also inspire me to exercise, it's a win-win for me. Should I hit a plateau or have trouble, I may well open it to solicit opinions. Until then, I value my privacy.

I do find it somewhat amusing that some people figure I am likely lying or hiding something by virtue of being private. I wonder if that is because so much of people's lives are exposed to the masses. Fame (even infamy) seems to be increasingly important these days.

Edited to add: I suppose I figured those that have their diaries open welcome/expect commentary. I do this occasionally, but not all the time. I feel more comfortable supporting their activities.
  • t3hsandy
    t3hsandy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to Private. Some of the time, I can't even find the stuff I eat in the listings or online (so I could add it to the listings), so it's not really accurate anyway. I'm missing some foods that I eat. But I don't really care if I go over or not; I eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I'm not. But just in case, I test to see if I really am by drinking water. Simple as.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've earned the right to do whatever I please.
    This. :)
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Originally I had mine private and was afraid of the back lash b/c of reading what others had to say about others diaries, neg and mean things. But I wanted to get others points of views and advice and that was the only wat I knew how to get it, and now open to my friends and are all supportive (thats why there my friends, lol). Either way I have always been honest about what I log b/c I have a serious issue with my weight and need to make sure I meet my goals. So even on bad days where I've messed up big and still logged it all.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to private and I don't worry about accountability to others. I am accountable to myself. [ . . . ] Should I hit a plateau or have trouble, I may well open it to solicit opinions. Until then, I value my privacy.

I do find it somewhat amusing that some people figure I am likely lying or hiding something by virtue of being private. I wonder if that is because so much of people's lives are exposed to the masses. Fame (even infamy) seems to be increasingly important these days.

My thoughts exactly. In this Facebook/Twitter, etc, world, I think people actually share too much. Granted, your food intake is directly related to what we are all here for (regardless of whether we are losing, maintaining, or gaining), but unless someone asks for help, others shouldn't be concerned about whether one's diary is public or private.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't really want unsolicited advice on what I'm eating, so I have it set to friends for now. I have RA and am sick and tired of people saying, "Ohhhhh, eat gluten-free, that's what I did and my RA is gone now," or other such nonsense. It is really, really annoying.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Mine was friends only; now it's public. My friends are a huge support, and I love getting advice! If I ever get any I disagree with, I ignore it... but it's usually super constructive and helpful :)
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Used to have it open. Now have it closed. Personal preference.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to mfp friends. Part of the whole reason I love this site is to learn from other people and by seeing what they eat while losing weight helps me achive this.Plus I get great meal ideas. I've only had one person tell me how I should make better choices(like egg whites vs whole eggs, give me a break!). I didn't get to 200 lbs by making good choices all the time! lol Anyway I've since deleted that "pal". Funny how you don't see anyone criticizing or judging for lack of exercise.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm actually considering making mine private for the first time ever. I'm wondering if perhaps it will help me be more honest with myself if no-one else can see it.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Mine is private...before MFP what I ate on a day to day basis was not shared with the world, I dont see the big deal.
    I'm just concerned with MY DIARY..no one else!
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to private for a few reasons. Some days I'm way too busy to log in what I'm eating and while you would hope some people would be helpful or constructive there are those who are not. I have enough judgement for my weight gain and stress in my life, I'm not looking for this to be a source of stress as well.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't want everyone to know that I drink beer for breakfast. It is my secret.:drinker:
  • HBBrown78
    HBBrown78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I didnt even know you could make it public or anything. I thought there was one setting and that was it. But pesonaly I wouldnt want people I dont know seeing something so personal. It kinda feels creepy- stalkerish.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    because people judge on here. mine was open to the public then people started telling me i wasnt eating enough of certain things and to much of another (because im a fussy eater my diary normaly looks simular each week) so i changed it to friends only .
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private, because we all have to find the method that works for us personally, and I don't want my progress/motivation derailed by a stream of well-intentioned criticisms of what I choose to eat to meet my calorie goals. I've always been very self-conscious about what I am seen to eat, and having my diary on public view would make me more inclined to cheat/not log everything than the reverse, so it would be counterproductive for me.

I know that I eat a reasonably healthy diet, and I also know that other people might see the fact that I rarely make it through the day without a small piece of chocolate as a serious failing. I know that it's the small indulgences that keep me on-track in the bigger picture, and I don't want to have to justify/explain that every time someone else looks at my diary. I'm looking for a lifestyle I can maintain, not a diet that I will loathe and leave behind as soon as possible.
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat foods people won't understand here what I eat I eat typical indian Pakistani desi food! so i keep it private!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am a private person. I hold myself accountable