When is a pound lost and where does it go?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think every pound you lost in December was found by my thighs.

Darn, beat me to it! I was going to say belly, though.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    Just gotta say...I've "lost" nearly 100 lbs...never white stuff in my pee!

There are many scientific answers here that sound pretty informed. Go with those....
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week.
    2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows best.

Wait! I am losing weight but I have no white chicken fat type of stuff in my urine! Could I be losing muscle instead??? I'm scared of that! What would come out in my pee if I am losing muscle?? Where does that go????????? :sad:

That's the red stuff....
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking this... this is way too deep for a pound lost.... but the best thing I can compare it to is water. Water has 3 forms. Liquid, ice and vapor. When you lose a pound... it is still in existance but it is now in for of vapor therefore, you no longer need to 'store' it. Perhaps it will help if you think that you release a pound.... not lose it.

Finally... the 3500 = 1 pound. Don't take that TOO literally. It is only a theory. A good theory with great scientific proof that this is most likely true for most people.... but it will almost never work exactly as such.

Leave room for margin...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was sneezing out my fat when my sinuses were acting up.......
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week.
    2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows best.

I found some white stuff in my poop, I wonder if I'm still losing fat?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Finally... the 3500 = 1 pound. Don't take that TOO literally. It is only a theory. A good theory with great scientific proof that this is most likely true for most people.... but it will almost never work exactly as such.
    :huh:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can't. Stop. Laughing.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    When you lose something you try and find it...I'm not losing any weight...I'm giving it away to the needy.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

I found some white stuff in my poop, I wonder if I'm still losing fat?

No, that's just some guy's leftovers.

But NSV!! I just peed and my body fat percentage dropped 2.5 percent!! YAY!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When you put gas in your car and drive around all week, where does it go?

Right out the tailpipe! This explains my run at lunchtime today. Hope nobody was too close behind me on the jogging path.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If you have white **** coming out with your urine, see a doc. It ain't fat!
    yum.... ketosis! :laugh:
    I should add... this is assuming that one has not had white **** deposited recently that may be coming out along with the tinkle. Seriously, something to take into account.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thanks for the laugh!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The original poster asked some interesting questions, and I like the way she thinks.

A "heat engine" takes in heat and converts a portion of it into mechanical work. When nutrient molecules in the body are combined with oxygen ("burned"), that's an exothermic reaction; it produces heat. Muscle cells use that heat energy to do work. The whole human body can be usefully regarded as a heat engine.

And yes, calories *are* energy, rigorously and exactly. A calorie is the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of a gram of water by a Celsius degree. (A nutritional calorie -- the sort we all talk about here -- is 1000 calories, as defined. It is also equal to 4186 joules, which is the work done by one newton of force over a parallel displacement of 4186 meters. A "typical" person weighs about 667 newtons, and can be lifted a little over six meters, straight up, by a nutritional calorie of mechanical work.)

A pound is lost when a pound of stored nutrients in the body (hopefully, fat) has been converted to ... well, not just energy. If an entire pound of fat were all converted to energy (according to E = mc^2), a dieter would be like an atomic bomb. But, as another commenter pointed out, chemical bonds in the pound of fat are broken, some of it is oxidized, heat is produced by that reaction; most of the rest of the broken-down nutrient molecules become waste and are eliminated in the same way as any food waste. The energy required by your body is supplied by the food you eat; if you don't eat "enough," you're in a calorie-deficit situation, and some stored body fat is internally "eaten" as well. As the OP said, about 3500 cal of deficit is equivalent to a pound of fat; as for WHEN this happens: as soon as your body requires a single calorie more than you've eaten, 1/3500 of a pound gets burned. When your cumulative deficit reaches 3500 cal, a full pound will have been used. (For the elimination of the unburned waste, I suppose there's a time delay measured in hours.)

But, in any case, that pound of fat didn't turn into nothing. A very small fraction of it is turned into heat and used by your muscles; the vast majority is turned into feces and urine, and returns to nature in the usual ways.

People ask me from time to time how much weight I've lost. Of course, I tell them that "lost" is probably too strong a term. I pretty much know where all of it is. Most of it's at the grocery store; quite a bit is at Burger King and Taco Bell and so on. I could go pick it up at any time. So, it's not really lost; it's more like "misplaced." I hope to leave it that way.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Wow, sound scary responses in this thread... LOL

As many have said the fat is a form or stored energy so when you are in deficit the body can scavenge that stored energy (fat) it will also consume lean muscle. Interestingly, when you are losing body fat you are effectively consuming saturated fat. :) hehehe

Also, keep in mind that just being in an apparent calorie deficit of 3500 calories doesn't guarantee a 1 lb loss, water retention and and a decrease in metabolic rate will often mean that 1 lb loss won't occur immediately, but sometimes there will be a
    "woosh" sometime later resulting in thermodynamics being satisfied (the fat has been lost). The painful part is the drop in metabolic rate. Sorry, I digressed a little there.

The poster who discussed Ketones is confusing Ketosis with Ketoacidosis. Low carb dieters can enter Ketosis and excess Ketones can be passed via urine (not always) which is what some people mention. This is quite safe, in fact, lots of people have probably been in ketosis for most of their lives. This is contrasted with Keotacidosis which is dangerous and is seen in diabetics and is the body's way of dealing with starvation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129159/
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What?! You don't pee fat out.

Here's what happens...
    When you lose weight, where does the lost body fat go?

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Body fat breaks down during a series of complex metabolic processes.

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327

Yes, this. Absolutely. Ran many, many tests in labs on both people and critters (as an assistant) to both prove this and to get general trends for people with various metabolic issues and/or diseases.
    Umm... white stuff in your pee? I.. err... yeah. no. Please go back to a different doctor.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This tghread wins so hard I almost white stuffed myself.

Oh, wait, huh?
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I laughed SO hard!!!!!!
    If you have white **** coming out with your urine, see a doc. It ain't fat!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The original poster asked some interesting questions, and I like the way she thinks.

A "heat engine" takes in heat and converts a portion of it into mechanical work. When nutrient molecules in the body are combined with oxygen ("burned"), that's an exothermic reaction; it produces heat. Muscle cells use that heat energy to do work. The whole human body can be usefully regarded as a heat engine.

And yes, calories *are* energy, rigorously and exactly. A calorie is the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of a gram of water by a Celsius degree. (A nutritional calorie -- the sort we all talk about here -- is 1000 calories, as defined. It is also equal to 4186 joules, which is the work done by one newton of force over a parallel displacement of 4186 meters. A "typical" person weighs about 667 newtons, and can be lifted a little over six meters, straight up, by a nutritional calorie of mechanical work.)

A pound is lost when a pound of stored nutrients in the body (hopefully, fat) has been converted to ... well, not just energy. If an entire pound of fat were all converted to energy (according to E = mc^2), a dieter would be like an atomic bomb. But, as another commenter pointed out, chemical bonds in the pound of fat are broken, some of it is oxidized, heat is produced by that reaction; most of the rest of the broken-down nutrient molecules become waste and are eliminated in the same way as any food waste. The energy required by your body is supplied by the food you eat; if you don't eat "enough," you're in a calorie-deficit situation, and some stored body fat is internally "eaten" as well. As the OP said, about 3500 cal of deficit is equivalent to a pound of fat; as for WHEN this happens: as soon as your body requires a single calorie more than you've eaten, 1/3500 of a pound gets burned. When your cumulative deficit reaches 3500 cal, a full pound will have been used. (For the elimination of the unburned waste, I suppose there's a time delay measured in hours.)

But, in any case, that pound of fat didn't turn into nothing. A very small fraction of it is turned into heat and used by your muscles; the vast majority is turned into feces and urine, and returns to nature in the usual ways.

People ask me from time to time how much weight I've lost. Of course, I tell them that "lost" is probably too strong a term. I pretty much know where all of it is. Most of it's at the grocery store; quite a bit is at Burger King and Taco Bell and so on. I could go pick it up at any time. So, it's not really lost; it's more like "misplaced." I hope to leave it that way.

Very interesting and knowledgeable response. :D
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This tghread wins so hard I almost white stuffed myself.

Oh, wait, huh?

PS: White stuff = dairy. Don't piss out your dairy.