re racking free weights: is it as tough as brain surgery?

Options

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You know what annoys me more than the weights being put in the wrong spot?

Leaving them in the middle of the floor for someone to trip over.

Did you get from the middle of the floor? No. You didn't. I watched you take them off the rack, so why on Earth are you leaving them there?

It drives me insane. I've been known to walk right in front of the person who left them there, pick them up, comment "Wow, it's tough to put these away when you get them out" and walk away.

I'm ready for the resolutionists to decide they are done working out. They're bothersome.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I hate the guys that leave the weights on the squat/bench bars after their heavy lifts. One time, I'd like to know when these guys are ready to start and put 4-5 plates on each side before they get there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    All reasons I took the money I would otherwise have spent on a gym membership and used it to purchase my own weights for home. If I am messy I only have me to blame.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I hate this! People these days seem to have no gym etiquette – I guess it went the way of proper manners. If you touched a weight put it back where you found it. It especially annoys me when guys leave 45lb plates on a bar assuming that everyone starts with atleast 1 plate on the bar. No wonder people get intimidated to go to the gym.

Don’t get me started on the CrossFit maniacs that like to slam their weights down. If you can’t put it down nicely, you can’t handle it!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Back to the OP's point. My gym is a smaller gym. The squat rack is also the bench. Some people would struggle to clear off 45lb plates.

Physics got it wrong. The earth really does revolve around some people.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    j/k
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I find myself being the last one at the gym on most weekends and I always end up re racking or rearranging the weights myself. One time the girl that works there told me I should start working at the gym.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    j/k
    Shhh!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I also put things away at the gym that people leave lying around. Free weights, drink bottles, all sorts of things.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If I'm on my way to the dumbell rack, I'll pick up a stray. I mean what's the worst it can do, burn calories? lmao
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Damn resolutionists!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I find myself being the last one at the gym on most weekends and I always end up re racking or rearranging the weights myself. One time the girl that works there told me I should start working at the gym.

You are awesome! I know I'd be doing the same thing if I was there at closing!
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Back to the OP's point. My gym is a smaller gym. The squat rack is also the bench. Some people would struggle to clear off 45lb plates.

Physics got it wrong. The earth really does revolve around some people.

Yeah, seriously, it does. I think I need to call Steven Hawking.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This issue isn't near as annoying as people not signing up for the machines they are on. My gym has a 30 minute limit and more often than not I see people on my favorite machines but not signed in.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I hate the guys that leave the weights on the squat/bench bars after their heavy lifts. One time, I'd like to know when these guys are ready to start and put 4-5 plates on each side before they get there.

good idea..
  • KatieJane83
    Options

good idea..

Yeah, I second this. You should do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    So it's a Monday and I feel like posting a topic to entertain myself.

I've noticed, especially recently, I assume due to the influx of resolutioners, that apparently re racking free weights might possibly be slightly more difficult than performing brain surgery for some people. Is it really so hard to NOT put the 30 lb dumbbells back in the 10 lb slot? I think I may be selectively-OCD in this area, because I'm constantly rearranging the free weight area to fix it. Anyone else have a tough time with this, or perhaps an explanation?
    Believe me, working in a gym for years even the regulars can't put the weights away correctly. Especially the guys. For some reason they can load up a bar or machine, but can't put it away. Try to get away with it on my shift and I will call you out. Continue and I'll have you restricted from the weight room. It's just common courtesy and IS part of rules and regulations of every gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I've noticed, especially recently, I assume due to the influx of resolutioners, that apparently re racking free weights might possibly be slightly more difficult than performing brain surgery for some people. Is it really so hard to NOT put the 30 lb dumbbells back in the 10 lb slot? I think I may be selectively-OCD in this area, because I'm constantly rearranging the free weight area to fix it. Anyone else have a tough time with this, or perhaps an explanation?
    I used to start fights over this until about 5 years ago.

I gave up.
    It's just not going to happen. These dunderheads think they're royalty or something.
  • ajmaccar
    ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I have the same problem, and so I also find myself rearranging the weights on the rack and glaring at the people who are putting them back in the wrong spot. I thought I was the only one!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm a pain in the rear when it comes to this stuff. I work at a gym, but I rarely workout in the gym that I work at. But because I work at one, I'm constantly complaining about having to put other peoples' weights away. Don't I get enough of this at work? It's one thing when I get paid for it, but seriously!