HCG Diet

Options
Yay? Nay?

My inlaws did it and lost a good bit, but have gained some back. I'm skeptical.

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Illegal.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    OTC HCG has been banned by the FDA (which is curious because apparently you can still find it on the self in some stores). They haven't banned doctor administered HCG, however they have stated that in independent research studies there is no verification that HCG ingestion does anything to assist in weight loss, and that the weight loss is due to the dangerously low calorie consumption (500 or 800 depending on the plan) of the person. At a calorie level this low there are major health risks that should not be ignored, including the possiblilty of complications resulting in death.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bad bad bad... :frown:
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    nay, save your money and do it by good old counting calories and working out! best of luck to you.
  • Jessklatt
    Options
    I did it years ago...when it was still injected and not taken orally. I actually had decent results with it and managed to lose. I felt okay. My dad and his wife and their daughter in law also did it and had amazing results. If you understand the reason it works it does make sense. That being said...there is no easy fix. It's about what you eat and how much you move. Until that is fixed...you will always struggle. Good luck!
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not healthy! Don't do it!!!
  • musial
    musial Posts: 5
    Options
    My fiance and I both did the diet in 3/11. We both had great success. I lost 35lbs in the course of a month, and I've been able to keep it off thanks to MFP's calorie counting app.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of negative replies to this.

Your take away should be - DON'T do it
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Why are the pro-HCG-ers one post wonders? This may just be coincidence of course.
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    NAY! My doctor said it's a short-term weight loss fix. It's not for long-term health and weight loss. Do not waste the money.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    SMH...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I both did the diet in 3/11. We both had great success. I lost 35lbs in the course of a month, and I've been able to keep it off thanks to MFP's calorie counting app.

35lbs in a month is not healthy at all. I am assuming at least half of that was muscle, as you don't lose fat that fast.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif
  • yabbo24497
    yabbo24497 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's terrible for you! You only eat about 500 calories per day if you follow the diet correctly. Of course you can lose a ton of weight in a short period of time, you're starving your body. It's not realistic to continue this for a long period of time. Also, you take a nasty tasting liquid supplement that suppresses your appetite and gives you energy to function. I've read the reviews and a book about it. I also tried it for a very short period of time and lost weight, but it's not soemthing a healthy person can keep up. It's called a diet for a reason. You need a change in lifestyle, not a diet. That's why so many people, including myself have yo-yod when it comes to weight. I finally made a change in lifestyle and it's working out much better.
  • TheNaturalNanny
    TheNaturalNanny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No diet aid will help if you dont first adapt a healthy lifestyle. There is no such thing as a miracle drug to make you skinny. They may aid in weight loss but it comes with dangerous risks to your health. Theres no point in losing weight if your going to be too sick or worse dead, because pummped your body full of chemicals and messed up your hormones.
  • mistync991
    Options
    I did a lot of research on this before making my decision. I am currently under doctor supervised HCG injections. They are correct the drops are not FDA approved and not safe but I feel that with doctor supervision the shots can be safe. My clinic I go to does not do a crazy 500 calorie diet or even 800 calorie diet they do what they call "true" calories which averages out to be around 1000-15000 cal's a day but very high protein calories in that amount. Make the right decision for you. Even on HCG shots you still have to put the work in and count cal's as well as workout 4-6 days a week. There is no easy fix. I choose to give HCG a try because I am post menopausal, have hypothyroidism and am diabetic all of which inhibit weight loss.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    NAY! It's not sensible or good for long term health or weight loss. not sustainable and a scam not to mention, anyone can and will lose weight on 500 calories a day, fact. . . that or nearly die
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope!!!! Good old fashion Hard Work and Eat right works for me......
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    *grabbing popcorn and a comfortable seat*
This discussion has been closed.