Saying 'I love you' for the first time

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Been seriously in "love" 3 times. My "first" (sexually) girlfriend, when I was 21 (and we're still very close friends) and my wife.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    To answer my own question:
    I am currently engaged and he said it first, although not long after I was thinking it. I was laying on his chest and he said "You know I love you, right?".

This is NOT saying "I love you"... more of a weaker version. I told my wife (then girlfriend) "I love you" and did not hear it back.. got nothing. I did this for three weeks before I got one back. I know she loves me, been married almost 15 years.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible thing to say to a person. Not everyone's relationship is the same. And to tell someone they are expressing their feelings in a "weaker version" is judgemental, and just plain rude. You express yourself the way you want to and just stick to that...
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I've only said "I love you" (in a romantic sense) to one person, my husband. He's the first guy I ever dated and he kinda stuck :D

After we had dated for like 5 months was when I started getting this funny thing... I called it "I love you- word vomit" It was like whenever we were together I had a huge grin on my face and just wanted to blurt it out. He had dated before, and I think he knew. But he has this annoying habit of not wanting to be the first one to do things (I had to initiate the first kiss... and so on). Well one night we were cuddling in bed and were playing our "questions" game (you go back and forth and ask a question, and the other person answers it... pretty simple). Well, after a few questions I had a big smile on my face again and he asked "what was that smile for" and I'm like "nothing, nothing at all" and then he relentlessly tickled me until I said "Alright! Alright! I love you!" He kissed me, and said "I love you too, sweetheart"

Man, that was a while ago. Thanks for bringing that memory up for me.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've had it said to me by 3 different guys, they all said it first. I think I felt it first for one of them but was WAY to whimpy to tell him. I didn't have to wait long though, lol. :wink:

One guy told me he loved me after being together for only 2 weeks. It went something like this: "I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I really need you to know. I am completely in love with you!" I felt the same way and was worried he would figure it out and think I was crazy. LOL That was a good one. :smooched: :love: :heart:

I have only said it back to 2 of the 3 guys though. I would NEVER say that to someone if I didn't feel it. Not a good idea for anyone.

Of course you didn't have to wait long, you're gorgeous!!! :P I know they fell in love with you for other reasons too, though... a gorgeous smile can only get you so far ;)! I said it once when I didn't mean it and regretted it for a long time afterwards. Lesson learned ;)
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Love is different things to different people and at different levels. So I guess it really just depends on the people.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    me and my wife still disagree as to who said it first. I said it one day while we were cuddling and she didn't respond and then later the same day she told me that she loved me and then said she didn't hear me when I said it earlier so she said it first. who knows... it's been 12 years and we still love each other, we just don't like each other some days :P
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I said it first.
    A bit over a month after we started dating. We were talking about my childhood over the phone (kinda rough), and she cried for me a little. She said it made her feel horrible to think she complains about her childhood after hearing about mine. I knew then she was the type of soul I wanted to have complete mine. I said, "You know, I love how sweet you are. You are so honest with your emotions, I love that about you. I...love you". The phone went silent, I freaked out. She said she couldn't reply with the same because she wanted to make sure she felt the same way. I agreed, we said good night and that was one of the worst nights (sleep-wise) I've ever had to experience.
    The next day we texted a bit, I was distant, she could tell. Finally she brought-up the topic and I told her I didn't wish to take back what I said because I meant it. I asked her to take her time, and that if she decided that wasn't what she felt for me, that I'd also like to know. A couple of days went by, then, one evening when we were making random small talk over the phone again, I made a joke. She said: "I love your sense of humor, I always wanted to find a tall, dark and handsome man that'd make me laugh and make me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world". "I love everything about you", she said, "I am in love with you".

That was about a bit over three years ago. She is now my fiance. She has been the only person I've said those three words to and knew, without a doubt, I meant them.

Okay I always thought of you as just a pervert but this made me smile!!!! :heart:
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've had it said to me by 3 different guys, they all said it first. I think I felt it first for one of them but was WAY to whimpy to tell him. I didn't have to wait long though, lol. :wink:

One guy told me he loved me after being together for only 2 weeks. It went something like this: "I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I really need you to know. I am completely in love with you!" I felt the same way and was worried he would figure it out and think I was crazy. LOL That was a good one. :smooched: :love: :heart:

I have only said it back to 2 of the 3 guys though. I would NEVER say that to someone if I didn't feel it. Not a good idea for anyone.

Of course you didn't have to wait long, you're gorgeous!!! :P I know they fell in love with you for other reasons too, though... a gorgeous smile can only get you so far ;)! I said it once when I didn't mean it and regretted it for a long time afterwards. Lesson learned ;)

Hehe thanks. :smile: Not saying it back was rough, but I wouldn't change it. The guy ended up cheating on me anyway...
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm agonizing about this at the moment. Just met my bf the weekend before Christmas, he is already saying it, I'm scared witless.

We've both been married twice, I'm 50 he is 56.

GG
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    He said it first.. He was slightly intoxicated the very first time over the phone.. I didn't say it back that time. The first time in person was during cuddling after we had sex for the first time.. I said it back that time and yes, I meant it. I thought he did too til I found out not long after that he was already cheating on me cause I made him wait a year for sex.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've never said it frivolously, despite dating a bunch of guys previously. But, I never really had felt in love before until my latest and current boyfriend. We've been going strong for 3 years now and for the longest time we would be like, "I like you a loooot." until one day I just said it and he said it in return. Now we say it all the time and every time it feels like we really really mean it, which is awesome.