Calories burned in a Saunas

Options

Replies

• sunnybarn
    Options
    The same amount you burn sitting around my uncle Tito's house.

Uncle Tito's house sounds fun lol
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor while you sit there and compare it to when you don't sit in the sauna. My guess is, it's not that much different.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    No.

Here's their citation for their claim that saunas burn 600 calories an hour on their website: "Journal of the American Medical Association, August 1981." No authors, no issue, no page numbers. Shoddy work. It just so happens that I have access to JAMA though. They are referring to a LETTER TO THE EDITOR (not a scientific study) entitled "Effect of Sweating." The letter writer, Ward Dean, is a self-proclaimed "world-renowned expert in the anti-aging and life extension" who was sentenced in 2005 to seven years in prison for tax fraud.

Also, I wonder if the American Heart Association knows that they're a "partner" of this company - because according to the company's website, all they do is donate to the charity. Guess that makes me a partner of the AHA too. Same deal with their "partnership" with the National Autism Association.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    No.

Here's their citation for their claim that saunas burn 600 calories an hour on their website: "Journal of the American Medical Association, August 1981." No authors, no issue, no page numbers. Shoddy work. It just so happens that I have access to JAMA though. They are referring to a LETTER TO THE EDITOR (not a scientific study) entitled "Effect of Sweating." The letter writer, Ward Dean, is a self-proclaimed "world-renowned expert in the anti-aging and life extension" who was sentenced in 2005 to seven years in prison for tax fraud.

Also, I wonder if the American Heart Association knows that they're a "partner" of this company - because according to the company's website, all they do is donate to the charity. Guess that makes me a partner of the AHA too. Same deal with their "partnership" with the National Autism Association.
    It's sad how some companies try to manipulate wording to make it sound as if what they sell has legitimate backing by evidence or a respected organization.
    One of the ones that gourds me is a supplement company called MuscleTech. In a lot of their ads the cite "in a clinical study, the KEY INGREDIENT in ________ was found to.........", but that "key ingredient" is found is several thousand other supplements that are comparable. Also in those studies, there's a specific dosage used which MuscleTech NEVER states that they provide in their "proprietary blend".
    Scams are all around us all the time because there's money to be made.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • annalisam1
    annalisam1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, hope this helps a little, I shared the link because the article gives other reasons why it is good to use the sauna. Good luck with your weight loss. :)

Calories Burned

According to the Mayo Clinic's health education website, your body composition, sex, and age are determining factors on how many calories you burn during any given day, even when you are resting; this is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR). A person weighing around 160 lbs. will burn burn about 300 calories during a 30-minute session in the sauna. That number changes based on your individual BMR, in addition to the temperature settings in the sauna and the amount of time you spend in the heat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/242883-sauna-benefits-calories-burned/
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, hope this helps a little, I shared the link because the article gives other reasons why it is good to use the sauna. Good luck with your weight loss. :)

Calories Burned

According to the Mayo Clinic's health education website, your body composition, sex, and age are determining factors on how many calories you burn during any given day, even when you are resting; this is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR). A person weighing around 160 lbs. will burn burn about 300 calories during a 30-minute session in the sauna. That number changes based on your individual BMR, in addition to the temperature settings in the sauna and the amount of time you spend in the heat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/242883-sauna-benefits-calories-burned/

I burn 300 calories during 30 minutes of solid running at 7mph, do you think that could be matched by somebody just sitting on their *kitten* in the sauna, doing sod-all? No it couldn't.

You burn a negligible amount, I do not care what anybody says.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    See, did you catch that sneaky non-reference that makes their claims look legit?
    According to the Mayo Clinic's health education website, your body composition, sex, and age are determining factors on how many calories you burn during any given day, even when you are resting; this is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR).
    This is true. But then...
    A person weighing around 160 lbs. will burn burn about 300 calories during a 30-minute session in the sauna.
    They tack on their unfounded claim in the very next sentence, making you think that the Mayo Clinic has proven the 300-calorie burn figure. No such citation exists.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    Sauna's do not burn up calories, your body does. You mean do Sauna's speed up the burning of calories like exercise, then no. If they did then everyone would have one and obesity wouldn't exist.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    See, did you catch that sneaky non-reference that makes their claims look legit?
    According to the Mayo Clinic's health education website, your body composition, sex, and age are determining factors on how many calories you burn during any given day, even when you are resting; this is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR).
    This is true. But then...
    A person weighing around 160 lbs. will burn burn about 300 calories during a 30-minute session in the sauna.
    They tack on their unfounded claim in the very next sentence, making you think that the Mayo Clinic has proven the 300-calorie burn figure. No such citation exists.
    THIS. Don't get snowed by how the message is conveyed. The truth is one burns calories all the time even at rest. Physical activity increases it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you're using the sauna for weight loss, you are using it wrong. Period.

I use it for relaxation. It feels awesome. It's a great way to end my workout when I have time. If I sweat out any calories from water weight, that and more will just be added right back in when I walk about and drink a couple litres of water!
  • xaviermmuller
    xaviermmuller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "How many calories do you burn in a sauna???????Different sources (mainly, sauna retailers and manufacturers) make a vast range of claims as to the calorie-burning effectiveness of sauna use, ranging from 50 to 900 calories burned in a half-hour-long session.I love setting in the sauna after working out and would love to know if you do burn calories and if so how many?If anyone knows please tell me."

Based on the fact that you have already done your workout you will more than likely find that you would be burning about the same amount of calories just sitting in front of the tv after gym, reason being is after gym you will continue to burn additional calories, I personally do use a sauna for 30 min after training especially after weight , not intending to burn more calories, but just as a bit of a relax period, My heart rate is already up and my body is nice and warm, so to relax I will sit in the sauna with a bottle of water and my recovery drink (Amino acids) and just let my body do its thing.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Part of this is pure logic. If sitting a sauna really led to easy weight loss and meaningful calorie burning then guess what? We'd all be thin from sitting in saunas, thus ending the obesity epidemic.

Pretty much this. If it was possible and proven, we'd all be skinny by now. What an *odd question to ask.

*Pointless.
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn in a sauna???????Different sources (mainly, sauna retailers and manufacturers) make a vast range of claims as to the calorie-burning effectiveness of sauna use, ranging from 50 to 900 calories burned in a half-hour-long session.I love setting in the sauna after working out and would love to know if you do burn calories and if so how many?If anyone knows please tell me.

900 calories in 30 mins... :/
    tumblr_n0gcchpSgc1rrr1sso1_250.gif
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You asked this question ealier and you got the same exact answers as now, you burn so few calories that it DOES NOT COUNT, similar to eating celery.

Here is what was posted last time you started this thread:

Depends on what you are doing in the sauna. You can sit on a couch, or you can sit in the sauna and you will burn the same amount of calories. You can do jumping jacks in the sauna and burn as many calories as you would if you did jumping jacks outside of the sauna, but that seems a little dangerous.

The moral of the story, the sauna is for relaxing, it is not going to benefit you in a calorie burning way. Don't let that stop you, though, enjoy it!

This. They're good for relaxation and they may cause a bit of temprary water weight loss, but nothing significant. If it did what the guy trying to sell you one says it does, lazy people would just "sit" themselves slim when they consistently overate and got fat.

They can be very relaxing, but they aren't always healthy or advised.
  • lashundrahicks
    lashundrahicks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous the denial and justification that lazy people will utilize to continue being lazy. I would have to RUN 7-8 miles to burn 900 calories. You REALLY think you could burn that SITTING in a sauna? C'mon...get real. You could maybe burn that much if you sat in a sauna for a full day and didn't ingest ANY calories. Have fun with that.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • uberpixi
    uberpixi Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought this was a good explanation: "Because sitting in a sauna will cause your temperature to rise and, therefore make your body work harder, you will burn more calories sitting in a sauna for 30 minutes than you would sitting on your couch (or in front of your computer perusing Facebook). You might even lose weight from sitting in the sauna. However, the weight loss would simply be water weight and you would gain it back as soon as you rehydrated (which you absolutely need to do). Also, the increased energy expenditure for your body is nominal and is only an increase relative to doing other passive activities. You wouldn't burn as many calories sitting in a sauna as you would doing any sort of physical activity like walking or standing."
This discussion has been closed.