gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    People who do 10reps of a not-that intense weight or exercise, and then walk past the mirror "recovering" for the next 10min. Cancel your gym membership and go buy a mirror for every room in your house. That way you can look at yourself, and I don't have to watch you pace and flex.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I hate BO! It stinks!
    Why do people fight over the closest parking spots when a little extra walking wont kill ya! Your at a gym!
    How are you getting a good workout on an elliptical or treadmill will while talking and laughing and not sweating.
    50 empty treadmills and he comes to the one right beside you!
    women who wear a white thin sports bra and no other shirt. (you shouldnt be cold your exercising!)
    ok thats all for now..
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just not following the rules like:

1. Not wiping down equipment
    2. Not deloading barbells
    3. Not putting away equipment like dumbells etc
    4. Not seeing if anyone else wants to use the equipment if you've been hogging it for a long time
    5. People that are not working out just meeting in the gym for a social hang out
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When there is something wrong with the machine I hop on, like the tv doesn't work. I actually was on a treadmill last week where the speed wouldn't decrease. That was scary! but I guess it kept me moving.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I typically don't care what other people are doing at the gym, but I have 2 pet peeves that are VERY specific to my gym, because they are people who I see there every time I'm there...

ONE is this Russian woman with a horrible fake tan, bleaches hair, and HUGE and poorly done fake boobs. She just barely uses each machine for about 2 minutes, and just bounces from machine to machine... and the leaves without breaking a sweat.

TWO is a girl with an obvious eating disorder. She inputs her weight of 83 lbs into the machine, and flips through a book of pictures of other anorexic girls while she works out. I'm honestly scared that I'm going to watch her die one day at the gym -- literally terrified!
  • nalliebell
    nalliebell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    what irritates me is people gunting when pushing weights, like they are the only person working out uugggg
    what I like is when the gym is empty (like 3 am) when I have the entire place to myself and set up my routine and go though with a nice flow
  • EricMurano
    Options
    -big guys not lifting weights but on cardio machines (you're gonna be a stick whenever IF you're succesful)

Big guys - you mean overweight, right? Aerobic exercise is going to help them more at that point. They *should* be lifting weights too but if I had to pick one or the other for someone losing weight I'd pick aerobics.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    the lady who walks right past the "no opposite children in the locker room" sign with her 5 year old boy who stands and stares wide eyed at everyone as his mom is putting her coat and bag in her locker. There are FAMILY LOCKER ROOMS for a reason!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    people who get on the treadmill right next to you when your the only one there and there is 20 others they could use
    related to that, people who smell- not BO cos i know we all get that but just a real stink

YES!! I thought I was the only one irritated by this. I have never understood why some people choose the treadmill right next to me when all the others are not being used.
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    I totally hate to wait for a machine and the person who is using it is talking to someone, instead of been workingout, also i hate the ones that the are grouling and making big noises while lifting, so everyone can look at them, come one!!! you are lifting weights not getting rape!!!!!
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    And another one.....
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't get me started! There are the ladies who go into the restroom section of the locker room to change, so the rest of us can't get to the toilets; there's the one who changes in the shower so we can't get to that either! The guy who takes a nap in the sit-up area; the guy who slams weights as loud as possible, then says "that's how I work out. If I break them, I'll replace them!". I'll stop there. :P
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hate BO! It stinks!
    Why do people fight over the closest parking spots when a little extra walking wont kill ya! Your at a gym!
    How are you getting a good workout on an elliptical or treadmill will while talking and laughing and not sweating.
    50 empty treadmills and he comes to the one right beside you!
    women who wear a white thin sports bra and no other shirt. (you shouldnt be cold your exercising!)
    ok thats all for now..

we have people who drive around and around looking for a carpark out the front, i've seen a few leave after a few laps
  • stewarthaus4
    Options
    ladies with their hair and make-up done
    and the best thing I like about my gym is when it is empty
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Holding onto the treadmill...I just don't get it for 90% of the people I see holding on.

i see nothing wrong with not wanting to fall on ur butt

I suggest you put the treadmill at max incline with a very high speed and try not holding on when you are burning over 1000 cals per hour. I will visit you in the hospital when you fall back on your head.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I

Oh yeah...THIS one. Where I go, there is a huge parking lot on the side that always has lots of space, but people HAVE to park in the rows right in front. And there are always cars at the end of the rows where there are no lines and it blocks the traffic lanes. I mean, COME ON!! You are here for exercise, people!! :sad:
  • gtwin
    Options
    I can understand how lifting weights and grunting can be annoying to some people....but if someone is squatting or deadlifting, even benching, more than 350....they have every right to grunt.
  • EricMurano
    Options
    what irritates me is people gunting when pushing weights, like they are the only person working out uugggg
    what I like is when the gym is empty (like 3 am) when I have the entire place to myself and set up my routine and go though with a nice flow

Yeah I'm not going to hold in a grunt for you :)

That being said I don't scream or carry on like Ronnie Coleman. I just grunt as I exhale if I'm straining.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    People who think the gym is an extension of facebook and want to socialize with you instead of leaving you alone to get your workout on.
  • gtwin
    Options
    [/quote]
    I suggest you put the treadmill at max incline with a very high speed and try not holding on when you are burning over 1000 cals per hour. I will visit you in the hospital when you fall back on your head.
    [/quote]

If you fall on your *kitten* with the treadmill at max incline and a high speed...you're obvioulsy going faster than your body can handle. Slow the speed down and work on your endurance. You're defeating the purpose of the workout if you're holding on for dear life.