What ARE the dating rules?

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Make yourself look like a fool deliberately.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Dont complain, do not talk a lot about yourself, do not talk about your terrible boss, or morning traffic etc -- trust me, guys do not care about things like that. Do not talk about your ex, why you broke up etc bla bla bla -- they dont care about that either -- there are very few things they care about actually! lol

try to find a common ground and stick to it etc - make sure you tell him that you enjoyed the night before you guys go separate ways -- AND for the love of god... DO NOT text him right after to tell him that you had a wonderful time.

Good luck!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I went out with a guy twice... He seemed to be really into me. We kissed in the rain after the 2nd date. :love:

Then the next night my bff and I went out and my drunk *kitten* drunk dialed him at like 3:30am! :noway: Well I texted him (he's up late usually) and then I asked him to call me. He did. We talked for about 15 minutes. I told him I wasn't drunk just wanted to hear from him. Ha!
    But after that I noticed he pulled away some. Granted, we've hung out a couple of more times after that but I don't know... it's confusing!

Would that turn you guys off? Did I make myself look psycho?

Honestly? I wouldn't say psycho but definitely that you're very interested. Some guys like to "chase" girls so next time I would leave your cell in the car, or if you have a smart phone install one of those apps where you have to do math or a puzzle when you want to make a call late at night.
    If you haven't read He's Just Not That Into You, that's a great read!

Read it! I was rereading it last night lol.

I did leave my cell in the car. I called him when we were driving home. I regretted it the next morning but eh, I did want to hear him! Plus we had kissed the night before... IN THE RAIN!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I went out with a guy twice... He seemed to be really into me. We kissed in the rain after the 2nd date. :love:

Then the next night my bff and I went out and my drunk *kitten* drunk dialed him at like 3:30am! :noway: Well I texted him (he's up late usually) and then I asked him to call me. He did. We talked for about 15 minutes. I told him I wasn't drunk just wanted to hear from him. Ha!
    But after that I noticed he pulled away some. Granted, we've hung out a couple of more times after that but I don't know... it's confusing!

Could be the guy wasn't much of a drinker & pretty conservative about getting drunk so it was a turn off. I wouldn't think you were psycho in that situation, but I'm a drinker & like to tie one on occasionally. If it was during the week, you might have woke him up when he had to work & that might have sent a message of not caring about others time schedules or whatever. I'm not

JM
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Read "He's Just Not That Into You." Don't watch the movie, read the book. Excellent, excellent stuff. Main premise is that if a man really wants to be with you, he will move heaven and earth to be with you. If he doesn't do that - then don't blow up his phone, try to decipher "hints", or rationalize his behaviour.

Yes, be the exception, not the rule. And don't stress about it. There's a million guys out there, you will find the right one eventually. They usually come around when you're not looking or trying so hard.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    1-Cardio
    2-The Double Tap
    3-Beware of Bathrooms
    4-Wear Seat Belts
    5-No Attachments
    6-The “Skillet”
    7-Travel Light
    8-Get a Kick *kitten* Partner
    9-With your Bare Hands
    10-Don’t Swing Low

Lol!

Classic rules? Here's a few I suppose -

Play the shy card once you get the guy's attention,
    Don't be overly forward, just enough to draw him in
    Don't be *too* eager with the phone, ex: you don't have to call back RIGHT THEN
    Enjoy some classic dates before getting very involve (the Park, walk about town & grab lunch or supper at a sidewalk café etc)

Is that what you're looking for La_Amazona?

JM

La_Amazona play the shy card HA! I Lol'd at this :laugh:
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    AND for the love of god... DO NOT text him right after to tell him that you had a wonderful time.

Good luck!

WTH.. I thought this was polite?? Actually the guy I'm talking about does it TO ME. Thankyouverymuch!

I did text another guy I went out with (no chemistry whatsoever) about an hour later to thank him. Eh.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    ha I'm a taurus too.

Rules hmm.

If you call too soon you are clingy.
    If you call too late you aren't interested.
    If you wait X dates before kissing you are too uptight.
    If you give it up right away you are not into serious relationships and just looking for fun.

If a guy likes you and flirts with you but you do not find him attractive, he is creepy.
    If a guy likes you and flirts with you and you find him attractive, he is charming.

I think that about sums up the major points.

This sums it up beautifully. You are wise man!

I am re-entering the dating arena and I think you just have to believe in yourself and what you feel. If things don't feel right then chances are they are not. I know there are probably rules but after being married, I realize that the voice in my head told me correctly all along, I just chose not to listen.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself, not who you think this person wants you to be. If it's not a match, no harm done. Be honest! Remember in all your nervousness that it's about the other person too - ask questions & LEARN about the person. How else will you know if a second date is warranted? Humor goes a long way in awkward situations like dates. Oh, and turn your cell phone on vibrate or silent.

I do think that there are a couple topics that are off-limits for a first date (they DO need discussing, eventually, but not immediately) :
    * Past relationships
    * Marriage & kids
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    1-Cardio
    2-The Double Tap
    3-Beware of Bathrooms
    4-Wear Seat Belts
    5-No Attachments
    6-The “Skillet”
    7-Travel Light
    8-Get a Kick *kitten* Partner
    9-With your Bare Hands
    10-Don’t Swing Low

Lol!

Classic rules? Here's a few I suppose -

Play the shy card once you get the guy's attention,
    Don't be overly forward, just enough to draw him in
    Don't be *too* eager with the phone, ex: you don't have to call back RIGHT THEN
    Enjoy some classic dates before getting very involve (the Park, walk about town & grab lunch or supper at a sidewalk café etc)

Is that what you're looking for La_Amazona?

JM

La_Amazona play the shy card HA! I Lol'd at this :laugh:

I know right? I'm actually VERY shy.. at first. I think he knows I'm not as shy as he thought...
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I can add some don'ts!

I went out with a guy on one date and it went something like this...
    We went to see a band, I drank a little too much and he came back to my place. We didn't have sex, but we did fool around. After which he decided to tell me he'd once found his mum dead in the kitchen :huh: I stupidly agreed to a second date, but met someone I really liked in between the two dates (who 10 years later is now my husband incidentally!), so told him I was still happy to go to the movies with him, but it would be just as friend. He sent me nasty text messages, calling me a lying cow. A few days later, he texts me to say "sorry if you just got a missed call from me, I may have called while trying to bar your number from my phone". And he thought I would call him why?! :noway: And the punchline was, a week after that he got in touch to say I'd given him chlamydia, and it must have been him because he was a virgin. Er, excuse me?! I hadn't. I was clean. I've always been clean. Evil lying *kitten* :mad:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    The rules get you into game play area and just cause issues. So - No Rules!
    Except maybe the 3rd date rule.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I did the same to a lass I was dating. I had been out for a drink with some mates and rang her when I got back (about 1am). That was the end of that as she then thought I was an alcoholic... ah well, her loss :)
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    No sex before monogamy. Not in the marriage sense, but in the dating one partner sense.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    No sex before monogamy. Not in the marriage sense, but in the dating one partner sense.

I think I have that one down pretty well. For some reason, I just don't want to have sex. I mean I will one day... but it will be with my boyfriend and there will be candles and roses and music... :smooched: lol
  • La_Amazona
    Options

What's the 3rd date rule???
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ha I'm a taurus too.

Rules hmm.

If you call too soon you are clingy.
    If you call too late you aren't interested.
    If you wait X dates before kissing you are too uptight.
    If you give it up right away you are not into serious relationships and just looking for fun.

If a guy likes you and flirts with you but you do not find him attractive, he is creepy.
    If a guy likes you and flirts with you and you find him attractive, he is charming.

I think that about sums up the major points.

Ahhh!!! I was just gonna type this too! BUT with these changes: If a girl likes you and flirts with you but you do not find her attractive, she's psycho and drama.
    If a girl likes you and flirts with you and you find her attractive, you send her pics of your erect penis, because that is what she really wants.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options

What's the 3rd date rule???

no sex until the 3rd date - or a guy will expect sex on the 3rd date, it differs!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    The guy is always wrong.

Next question.

No no no! I'd never let a guy thing he's wrong UNTIL after we're married... :bigsmile: Gotta hook him in somehow.

Exactly why America needs the 2 year marriage license that Mexico is doing.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    1. Keep them away from bright light
    2. Don't get any water on them
    3. Never, never ever feed them after midnight.