Bananas bad?

Options

Replies

• TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    If it fits in your daily calories eat it. Nuff said.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker always eating low carb- never bread, potatoes, rice or bananas. She used to 'lecture' me on my food choices- like bananas-, but I have lost 45 lbs and kept it off- while she has gained around 35...hmmm....
  • izzyv2005
    Options
    one of my main things that i'm concentrating on right now is cutting out sugar. since i'm currently breastfeeding, I cant go crazy on working out so I will indulge in HALF a banana because of the sugar. If you workout, I think you will be ok to eat a whole one before a workout. But if you are just dieting and not really working out id def stick to half of a banana a day and no more.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see all these answers! I was really not going to be happy about kicking bananas out of my diet. My co-worker still seems to insist they are not helpful in weight loss, but I'll just eat them when she isn't around ;)

I haven't read through this whole thread so I apologize if it's already been said. The reasoning behind this (which was already said) is that they are high on the glycemic index. For anyone with diabetes or insulin resistance, this is a food they need to stay away from. IMO If you don't fit into those categories I'd say keep them in your diet, but I'd limit them to 1 a day!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Bananas are very very bad for you. I'm really surprised that everyone is telling you different.

I ate banana splits every day for a year and I gained like 150 pounds. I'll never eat another banana again.

Just kidding.

Eat the banana. :P
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana, like, every day. Bananas are easy to digest, are high in potassium and have healthy sugars that give your body energy for now while it breaks down other nutrients.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Sorry, had to take down Banana Dude as it is not work friendly.

Maybe you can put up the link, so it can be shared with a warning before opening?

Thanks!

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Chop one up freeze it then throw it in a blender with protein powder some yogurt and water or milk. It'll keep you full for awhile.
  • NiciS72
    Options
    Here's some more info:

The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the extent to which they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high GI are those which are rapidly digested and absorbed and result in marked fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low-GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and have proven benefits for health. Low GI diets have been shown to improve both glucose and lipid levels in people with diabetes (type 1 and type 2). They have benefits for weight control because they help control appetite and delay hunger. Low GI diets also reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance.

Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Bananas are GOOD. Enjoy them in moderation, just like everything else.

As an aside, I am laughing so hard I am crying. The site advertisements around this topic? "5 Food you must not eat" featuring the lovely banana with an arrow pointing to it that says: "NEVER EAT." Dear lord, where do they come up with this stuff?!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    These days you can always find someone to tell you something is bad for you and will give you cancer. You could also find someone who will tell you that something is the best thing ever and will cure your cancer AND your thighs. e.g. sweet n' low and acai berries
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Chop one up freeze it then throw it in a blender with protein powder some yogurt and water or milk. It'll keep you full for awhile.

Or, just eat the dang thing frozen! Yum. (Occasionally a drizzle of choc syrup over it, is pretty good, too. :happy: )
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bananas are very very bad for you. I'm really surprised that everyone is telling you different.

I ate banana splits every day for a year and I gained like 150 pounds. I'll never eat another banana again.

Just kidding.

Eat the banana. :P

lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's some more info:

The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the extent to which they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high GI are those which are rapidly digested and absorbed and result in marked fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low-GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and have proven benefits for health. Low GI diets have been shown to improve both glucose and lipid levels in people with diabetes (type 1 and type 2). They have benefits for weight control because they help control appetite and delay hunger. Low GI diets also reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance.

Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php

http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Your co-worker is operating on too little info... all he or she has heard is that bananas have a bunch of sugar and has correlated that with "bad". They are completely wrong.

Here's the skinny on a banana...

Yeah it's got 27g of carbs and a Glycemic index of 55 so those carbs get turned into sugar in your bloodstream fairly fast (at least when compared to some other fruits) BUT...

Bananas are packed with soluble and insoluble fiber - which slows that carb absorption down. The sugar spike from a banana is nothing even close to the sugar spike from, say, drinking a glass of soda or orange juice. I can vouch for that first hand as a type 2 diabetic who eats a banana every single day.

On top of that they've got 15% RDA of your Vitamin C, 20% RDA of your B6, 16% RDA manganese, 8% RDA magnesium and a whopping 450g of potassium... more than 20% of the RDA.

And only 110 cals and completely fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free.

Your co worker is nuts... Bananas are practically a super food!

Eat them.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    He's right. Bananas is why Americans and Europeans are fat!

Lol no they're fat because day in and day out people are bombarded with fast food commercials, and don't have self control ;) in my opinion.

Thank you guys for all your comments, thoughts and opinions, sad to see the picture had to be taken down it was hilarious!

I will still eat a banana when I want and where I want!

Signed,
    A Fat American :):heart: :drinker:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    me likey bananas....nom nom nom
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    "they" seem to always have the answers.

If I were in your situation, I'd take a couple weeks and ensure to eat a banana where she can observe you....maybe 2. Work them into your diet while still dropping weight.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see all these answers! I was really not going to be happy about kicking bananas out of my diet. My co-worker still seems to insist they are not helpful in weight loss, but I'll just eat them when she isn't around ;)

For a lot of people that have to watch how much sugar they consume, then yes bananas are not a good choice. For those people that aren't sensitive to sugar then it is ok to have one.

We are all different and our needs greatly differ from one person to the next. You have to experiment and find what works for you and your body.

I would rather eat vegetables that are higher in potassium than bananas as bananas are merely a GOOD source of potassium. There are vegetables that contain much, much more potassium and that is where I get my nutrients from.

Bananas are not good for me because of the sugar as I am diabetic and very sensitive to the insulin spike they cause.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Learn your own body and listen to it through your own intuition.
  • NiciS72
    Options

:tongue: I was just providing info to show most likely why her coworker feels that way! I'm not sure I buy into it. I eat them on occasion. I'd honestly rather eat 2 oranges than one banana though!