1200 Calories?!

Options

Replies

• tonie13
    tonie13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oh my days, my daily minimum is 1200 without exercise!

i do struggle to eat that and usually have to eat a lot of snacks to get that much in but 1200 as a maximum is crazy?
  • meghowie
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 134.5 lbs, I eat 1200 per day. I stay well under that amount with diet and exercise....it is coming off very slowly!
  • allysonlee9
    allysonlee9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Should I eat more than 1200 if I work out?
    I was eating back all my excercise calories...I am sure people have talked about this on here, but its so confusing to me.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    1200 cals since Nov 5h 2011. Below, the weigh loss.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1.5", 114 pounds, and I TRY to eat 1200 per day. I eat my exercise calories and most days i'm a little over. I started Dec 26th and have lost 6 pounds. It's getting easier. I'm finding i'm getting fuller faster and don't need as much food. And I'm definitely making better food choices. I haven't cut out all sweets.....but I'm not craving them. Best part for me is that my hubby is now on MFP too. Makes it easier to eat better.
  • erinsmama
    erinsmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it tends to give me a higher number of calories burned for exercise than I would expect from what I have seen elsewhere. Maybe it is accounting for my weight, but I try not to eat back ALL my calories--maybe just 75 %.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    If you're on 1200 cals a day, you should definitely be eating most of your exercise calories back. Think about it. Say you eat 1200, and you burn 400. That's only 800 cals for your body to work with. You will become lethargic and very sad. Trust me. Been there. xo
  • gwenmanning
    gwenmanning Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I am on the South Beach Diet and at 1200 per day. They have a 2 week diet which gets rid of cravings and cleans your system.
    For 2 weeks you eat only proteins and vegetables. No fruit. No carbs ( like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta , sugar - nothing.
    You must have 3 snacks a day plus 3 meals. It is necessary for me to exercise in order to loose weight.
    I do weight training 3 times a week plus the ellipitical machine for about 15 - 30 min. when I weight train and inbetween ( if I have energy) I do elliptical for about 45 - 60 min.
    If you exercise you can choose to eat more to keep intake at 1200 cal or just have the extra excerise knock off more calories.
    After 2 weeks you can slowly incorporate more foods.
    I am never hungry if I follow their meal plan. Feel great.

In 3 days now I have lost 2 lb. I did this last year and lost about 8 lb in 2 weeks and it stayed off - until I went back to my old ways. ( love my wine).
    I am determined to loose 30 lb this time. My blood pressure is high. My cholesterol is hige. Borderline sugar high. Back aches - so many things are associated with overweight. I just don't need the grief.

Take a look at the diet and perhaps you would like to try it too. It works.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The rate at which you lose weight depends upon how much weight you have to lose. If you have lots of weight to lose .... it will come off more quickly. If you are close to your goal (say 10 pounds) ..... the slower it comes off (like 1/2 pound per week).

I typically eat 1400 calories per day because I eat back my exercise calories. I choose to eat my calories back because I want to build muscle (or at least keep it) .... too many years of being inactive for me.

That is SO TRUE.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    i have been doing 1200 a day since mid nov and i have only lost 3 lbs :( the last 10 days i was eating over 1200 and i put back on 1.5, so down i go again.... it's so hard for me and i am exercising too and eating back my calories but i'm not getting anywhere...

Relate to that.
    I've been on mfp for almost a year and Christmas was really a shocker. Trying to drop back to where I can maintain. But it is proving very hard to drop any at all. And I really kick myself the days I go up.:huh:
  • EmIsabel
    EmIsabel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 Calories a day I allow myself more when i do Kickboxing training! I don't necessarily want to lose a lot of weight - I want to trim down a little! Just before my first week ended I weighed in nearly 5 pounds lighter. It seemed to knock off what It needed right away I have a feeling If I'm to drop more it'll be at a slow and steady pace.

I am 5'9" and 155 pounds.
  • pelorizdo
    Options
    1200 calories would be the absolute bare minimum.

That would mean if you are not exercising, try to stay around 1200.

If you are exercising EAT BACK SOME if not ALL your calories. This is very important. You won't plateau as much if you do this. Working out for 1 hour or more a day and eating 1200 is just going to put you into starvation mode and/or you will be losing muscle and not fat. That is a very bad thing. It means your metaboliosm will gradually get slower and slower and you won't have much success in attaining or keeping your loss.

I went to a registered dietician. I trust her opinion over anyone elses as she has been educated in this.

As it stands I follow my dietician's advice and I haven't lost much muscle (mostly fat - i get my body fat % measured) and if I go off my meal plan like I did at Christmas, and eat my face off for 2 weeks, my gain is VERY minimal (half pound) because my metabolism is still high and I'm not in starvation mode therefore my body isn't storying any extras as fat.

That also means that maintenance won't be as hard for me as it is for those drastically undereating.

Food for thought!
  • impersonally
    Options
    If you are exercising EAT BACK SOME if not ALL your calories. This is very important. You won't plateau as much if you do this. Working out for 1 hour or more a day and eating 1200 is just going to put you into starvation mode and/or you will be losing muscle and not fat. That is a very bad thing. It means your metaboliosm will gradually get slower and slower and you won't have much success in attaining or keeping your loss.

I agree. 1200 is around the bare minimum for a healthy individual (woman ... for men I feel like it could even be a bit more, but honestly since I'm a woman I only pay attention to what applies to me ;). If you exercise, I believe you should eat back at least some of the calories.

I eat back around 75% of my exercise calories. Some days less, some days more (to me, the elliptical is pretty easy, so I may eat back fewer calories on those days).

Also, I find 1200 calories pretty difficult! I leave my goal as 1200 to keep me kind of accountable, but usually go to a net of 1400 or so. I don't mind losing weight at a slightly slower pace than what MFP set up for me, which is 1 pound a week.
  • liatski
    liatski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 calories a day, although it's rare I don't go over at least a little. I don't log on weekends (dieting on weekends is not sustainable for me, but I try to moderate my portions and be generally healthy and "careful"). I've lost 9 lbs in about 5.5 months, which is a good pace for me since I'm trying to tone and strenghen and not lose a whole bunch of weight. (5'7" 135 lbs). I eat back my exercise calories.
  • vickidwaters76
    Options
    update your profile...
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    1200 with no serious exercise (I work in a busy kitchen 4 hours a shift, two shifts a week, which stops me being completely sedentary) i lost 20lb from Sept 12th 2011 to now.
    I'm now going to the gym three times a week, sticking to 1200 with the option to eat back my calories if I get too hungry.
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I normally do 1200 cals during the week (Mon-Thurs.) I usually eat out on fri and sat. so those days i eat up to my mfp limit and whatever i can add w exercise. Sun. is my cheat day i eat w out counting cals and i have lost 20lbs. I lose about a lb or 2 a week.
  • barbaranovo
    Options
    hi!

i can't make the 1200!! i'm always below (except saturdays) and because i work out, i'm even lower. They say that i'm in starvation mode but i'm simply not hungry for more!! is it bad that i'm not getting enough? i'm also below carbs and protein.
  • barbaranovo
    Options
    i agree! my normal daily food is muesli, kiwi and milk for breakfast, a light grilled lunch with veggies and rice. carrott, yogurt, 2 tangerines whole wheat roll for afternoon snack (6pm) and a soup, yogurt, pear and soft bolied egg for dinner (10pm) plus i exercise an hour a day 3 times a week.....but i can't get to the 1200! but i'm not hungry for anything else! what can i do?
  • kaylageserick
    kaylageserick Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The app said I should eat 1200 calories a day but I changed it to 1066. I looked it up online and used a calorie calculator and it said to lose the 50 lbs in 5 months, I would need to eat that much a day! I have lost 8 lbs in 16 days!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!