Want a 25-calorie (per cup!) replacement for rice?

Options

Replies

• Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump I love to sub cauliflower for mashed taters, so I am curious to try this in place of rice!
  • ZippyPippy
    Options
    I have tried the miracle rice and noodles. I did not like either. They both have that fishy taste. I threw it out. The cauliflower tastes so much better.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    BUMP
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    cauliflower is the best sub for carby/starchy cravings ever!!!!

I make cauliflower "spaghetti", "stroganaf","nachos" etc. (i.e. cauliflower is my potato, my linguine, my egg noodles, my chips, my crust, my dough....
    ty
    Share your recipes pretty please :flowerforyou:
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yummy bump ...
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kblund
    kblund Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Bump.
  • Shinkermom
    Shinkermom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This sounds good :-)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I tried this tonight and learned a few things.

1) Texture is key. Best to just use the flower portion. Using the stalks made it hard to get pieces all the same size. Some were too chunky and didn't cook as fast, leaving some of my 'rice' crunchy.

2) Depending on your recipe you will probably want to season it after you cook it. I didn't and it was quite bland.

3) You aren't going to fool anyone into thinking it's actually rice.

4) It's really expensive pound for pound compared to rice.

I used this with a thai peanut sauce (one of my absolute favorites) and I'd say the results were just OK. I'd rate it 4/10 for flavor and texture. It's main redeeming quality is the low cals, but I also got hungry again about an hour and a half after dinner because it was basically like eating celery with peanut butter for dinner. Didn't quite cut it. I might try mixing it with rice next time.

this thread inspired me to try it.I just cut it up with a knife cause I didn't want drag out the food processor and sauteed in a skillet with oil and onion . I agree on all points but I have some positives to add
    1. if you are low carbing it, Paleo/Primal, grain free by design, or just trying to cut calories .. this is a pretty nice option . you will have to add seasoning cause it is bland by itself but then so is white rice..lol
    2. if you don't like cauliflower then don't bother
    3. if you've had mashed cauliflower and liked it- you'll like this
    4.it is more expensive than rice and no one is going to think that it is rice- BUT if you don't eat rice to begin with and are looking for some ways to expand your menu- this is a good choice
    5. don't expect it be like rice.. just accept it for what it is- sauteed cauliflower..
    6. I liked it and will definitely make it again
  • kgreen985
    Options
    bump
  • cdmeyer
    cdmeyer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow, how did you come up with this. I would have never thought about doing that
  • michellef216
    Options
    bump...thanks
  • amarsing81
    Options
    A cheat for tortillas are high protein/low carb crepes instead. There are a ton of recipes out there, just find the one that you like.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!! I totally want to try this!!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    bump for later :) thx for posting
  • miss_p90x
    miss_p90x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoosiergal1964
    Hoosiergal1964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump