Want a 25-calorie (per cup!) replacement for rice?

Options

Replies

• Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Bump!
  • LauraCR1990
    LauraCR1990 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I already love cauliflower, so I can't wait to do this! Oh, and I'd love that creole recipe if it's not too much trouble :bigsmile:

ditto!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it is amazing. Now I don't feel cheated with a serving of rice! I made the shrimp creole, too. My husband watched me cook it and was talking about how there was always leftovers in the fridge if he didn't like it and he ended up eating two helpings!
    Thanks so much for the recipe. Re-posted it in my blog so I can refer back to it.
  • carrollel
    carrollel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    im obsessed with curry and ginger and put it on everything lately (along with tumeric and cumin powder) so this sounds awesome and i would love the shrip creole recipe please!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks! I'm gonna try this!!!
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    THANKS! Will def try!!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    bump
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Interesting will be trying this out! Thanks!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Apologies if someone has already asked this and it may seem like I am lacking in the common sense department but I have never tried this before and dont usually cook any veg in the microwave...but if you dont have a food processor or blender, is there another way of preparing this? Like coarsely grating it or something?
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just tried this tonight and it is AWESOME! I know a lot of you have tried the cauliflower substitute for mashed potatoes, but you can sub it for rice, too!

"Cauli-rice" (or Rice-aflower?!)

:)

You will need:

1 head of fresh cauliflower
    a food processor/blender
    a microwavable bowl big enough to hold your final yield

Do this:

Cut the florets off of the cauliflower. You can use the stem as well, just cut it into manageable chunks. Process raw florets (do NOT cook first!) until they are uniform "grains" and pile into the bowl.

Microwave for 3-5 minutes, uncovered, until cauliflower is cooked. DO NOT add water, seasonings or butter before cooking, or you'll end up with mush. Just microwave the processed cauliflower all by itself. Any seasonings can be added after cooking. Fluff with a fork, add spices, serve with anything you would make rice with!

I made a low fat/low cal shrimp creole (which I can also post if anyone wants it) and served over this tonight. I felt like I was cheating! I added to the whole bowl of "rice" a few shakes of land o'lakes butter sprinkles, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.

Per cup (with butter sprinkles) - 25-30 calories per cup!

I'm going to try this with curry and ginger and also as a mock fried rice. Will report results!

WOW that sounds awesome! I wanna try it....I grew up on white rice and its sooooo bad for but my family had it with every meal! Hope this can be a healthy substitute. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    might have to give this a try!
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    eww. cauliflower
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mebemini2012
    Options
    Definately excited to try this tonight!!! With grilled veggies and maybe 1 or 2 oz of chicken on top!!!!! :]
  • jamielr84
    Options
    bump
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Cabbage for noodles and now cauliflower for rice. You people are nuts ~ And Genious!
    Thanks!