How can I feed my family without going over my calories and

Options
12346»

Replies

• traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hey at my house, they will eat unless someone else will cook(which in that case, I never taught them).....muahahahaha.....
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a simple answer, and it depends what kind of eaters your kids are. My older one is pretty willing to try anything, but is totally a meat and potatoes girl. My younger one prefers mostly vegetables, and also rice and fish. Neither one wants to eat much fruit right now, with the exception of grapes.

I definitely make only one meal, but that doesn't mean they eat much of it all the time. Sometimes I do things like give them a number of bites they have to complete. Sometimes if they try something really wild and new I only get them to take one bite. I try to have a variety of foods so they will get something. If I have a meat, starch and a vegetable, they will usually be fine with at least one or two of those items, even if the third isn't their favorite. Combined foods like casseroles or salads-as-a-meal are trickier. I don't usually serve just salads for that reason. On taco night I have the options for everyone of making their own hard taco, soft taco, or taco salad. (My youngest often has only a tortilla and cheese!) If I do really want a salad as a meal, I cook extra chicken or something, maybe a side of rice or potatoes, and eat mostly salad for myself. Whatever I make, I always use the leanest cuts of meat and trim off any fat (I find my kids don't like fatty meat anyways) or super-lean ground beef. There are tricks to cooking lean meat so it doesn't dry out. I also always buy lower-fat cheeses...my kids are so used to it now I don't think they would notice. When I make my own pizza I use lower-fat cheeses, make my own crust with whole wheat and flax, use turkey pepperoni and measure my ingredients. Then I could put it into MFP's recipe calculator and as long as I stick to 1/4 of a pizza, its only 422 calories! I also have my own versions of baked chicken nuggets, baked potato wedges, etc. And every once in awhile, particularly if there are leftovers, I eat the leftovers and make them something simple that they love, like (gasp!) hot dogs. (I know, it's shocking and horrifying, isn't it! Don't tell anyone!) I don't think hot dogs every once in awhile is going to kill them. I have them sometimes, too, (double gasp!) but honestly, for 300-ish calories, they leave me pretty hungry so sometimes I don't bother for that reason.

You'll get the hang of it. Others have given great suggestions, too. I also like Taste of Home's healthy cooking magazine, and they have a lot of recipes on their website, too. Very normal meals that have just been lightened up.

I think the other point here is that it's worth it for you to try and figure out how to make more meals that everyone can and hopefully will eat If you continue to make two separate meals, then at some point you may give up because you're so sick of doing all that extra work. You can do it, and it IS worth it!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Here's how I do it:
    I usually make 3 things-main course and 2 sides. If I'm making something I know one of my girls doesn't like, I make sure there are 2 things she does. So tonight was fish, peas and sweet potato fries. One doesn't like sweet potato fries, so she got extra peas and fish.
    On nights I "experiment" with new dishes, rule is you must eat 1 FULL bite. If you do not care for it, you eat the rest of the dinner and then you get a "snack". "Snack" is a carrot, apple, string cheese or other healthy alternative to the missed meal item.
    I only do casseroles/enchiladas as experiments and such that are one pan when I know i have leftovers in the fridge they can eat if they do not like it.
    This way, I cook one meal, everyone eats something and I'm not feeding my kids junk.

And #1 thing is DO NOT BUY THE JUNK IN THE FIRST PLACE. If I'm feeling like giving my girls a "treat", I'll take them OUT for chicken nuggets, ice cream and the like. (Though I make some homemade chicken nuggets that I bake that are pretty good).
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    "Health food" does not have to be salad or carrot sticks or cellery. I know salad and raw veggies were a hard one for my kids when they were little, not as many molars I am guessing. Healthy foods can be veggie stir fries with chicken, taco salad(parents possibly omit the tacos, kids possibly omit the lettuce if it is harder for them to chew), roasted meats and veggies, meat skewers done on the bbq with veggies alongside either steamed or bbq as well, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, if you want sauces just watch the serving sizes, if you want spicy just set aside the kid stuff before adding the high heat stuff, you can make chicken nuggets by crushing up corn flakes and dipping slices of chicken in beaten egg first then the flakes and then baking. There are tons of ways to cook healthy for the whole family, it may take a bit more prep and planing but is way better than dong 2 seperate meals. My kids have grown up with our transition into healthy eating. My husband and I lived on those lipton side kick things for years. Then when our family grew we realized how much junk we were eating and how much money we were wasting and started to change. Fresh whole unprocessed food is more time consuming but is saving us money and health. If my kids do not like a meal they know there are always carrot sticks and apples in the fridge.

Good luck!!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    check out the website skinnytaste.com
    lots of recipes I'm sure your whole family will like.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I usually make 3 things-main course and 2 sides. If I'm making something I know one of my girls doesn't like, I make sure there are 2 things she does. So tonight was fish, peas and sweet potato fries. One doesn't like sweet potato fries, so she got extra peas and fish.
    On nights I "experiment" with new dishes, rule is you must eat 1 FULL bite. If you do not care for it, you eat the rest of the dinner and then you get a "snack". "Snack" is a carrot, apple, string cheese or other healthy alternative to the missed meal item.
    I only do casseroles/enchiladas as experiments and such that are one pan when I know i have leftovers in the fridge they can eat if they do not like it.

Yes! I do these things as well! We are smart people. *pats ourselves on backs*
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I hope you actually get some answers from the posts. I think kids can be taught to enjoy eating different things. I taught my boys to eat their veggies from infancy. Before I allowed them to have fruit or juice, they tried every vegetable gerber made. Now they love their veggies and are 12 and 9 years old. They eat better then I do! But it isn't always easy. They will defy what you want and try to be difficult but just keep trying. Maybe the pick out the broccoli now but keep putting it in front of them anyway and maybe someday they will eat it too. Also, get them in the kitchen with you. They may be more likely to eat something they made themselves. Or take them to the store and let them decide what produce to make. Give them the power in your own way. My son use to make the worst faces over cauliflower, until I made mashed cauliflower. Now he begs me to buy and make cauliflower. Get creative and outsmart those picky eaters. :) Two of my favorite sneaky veggies are the cauliflower potatoes I mentioned and putting squash puree in the mac & cheese. You can't taste it at all and makes the dish rather healthy. :)

Charity
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that you should put a new food in front of your child at least 10 times before expecting them to even really try it. Just don't give up. I know habits are hard to break. My son and I lived with my parents until he was 7 and I went to school at night. My father fed him and didn't want to argue over food so he mainly got breaded nuggets, fries, you know, kid crap.
    When he was 7 we moved into our own home and I cooked for him. You just have to keep trying and not give up. One of these days they will surprise you and try it and really like it. I can' t count the number of times my son said, "What have I been missing all this time!!" hehe...and like I said in my previous post, just cook one meal and eventually they will get used to the idea and stop being stubborn and start trying new things. :)
  • agadoogirl
    agadoogirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? Most littler kids love things that are brightly coloured and messy so things like spaghetti or lasagne (full of sneaky puréed veg like zucchini, carrot, spinach etc), tacos made from scratch with beans or lentils, chicken wraps, stirfry (my 2 year old loves it with hokkien noodles but isn't as keen if I serve it with rice), if your kids don't like plain chicken or fish chop theirs into pieces and roll them in breadcrumbs so they can have fish fingers or chicken nuggets, make orange mash by mixing pumpkin and potato. If they're a bit older you could try getting them a couple of pots and putting them in charge of growing things like snow peas, cherry tomatoes, strawberries that take up no space but you can pick a few things off them everyday and getting them thinking about what they could make with what they've grown-getting them involved in the cooking process helps a lot with making them willing to try new things. Good luck with it!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What does "kid friendly" even mean? I always fed my children what I ate - whole, healthy, nutritious food. And I expected them to eat it, too. The choice was take it or leave it. I have never made separate meals for my children, beginning from when my little nurslings were sitting at the table with me. They could have a bite of baked sweet potato or some fresh steamed broccoli. I made one meal and it was for the family.

Two years ago, I transitioned to a vegan diet. I had been incorporating at least two vegetarian meals into our diet every week and we had been eating less and less meat per person, more fresh veggies and whole grains. Initially, I would cook a vegan meal one night and everyone would eat it and I'd make a meat-based meal the next night (and I'd either take out for myself before the meat or would eat leftovers from the night before), but I found that they were eating all of the vegan meal I had made and the meat-based meals had leftovers that no one would eat and I'd have to throw out. (The same meals that they ate and loved before.) So now the majority of what I cook is vegan and everyone eats it.
  • jaimec25
    Options
    I appreciate the actual solutions to the problem of picky kid eaters, like adding pureed veggies to mac and cheese or lasagna and the mashed cauliflower. Brilliant!!! I'm going to try those immediately. Those are the kinds of real help that those of us with picky eaters so desperately need. I also love the idea of the healthy "snack" if they don't like dinner. My son has sensory issues and has issues processing certain food textures so it's really hard to get him to eat a lot of foods that are good for him. He is also my kid who will sneak down and raid the cabinet or fridge if he didn't like dinner and is still hungry. I see a lot of other great ideas peppered in here that I have to go through and print out so I can try them later. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give some real advice to those of us trying to do better! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that my daughter will eat mostly anything. I fix one meal every night and that's it. It she doesn't like the main entree, she just gets extra veggies and fruit to make up for it. There is only one thing she has refused to eat and that is tomato soup, so since her refusing something is so rare, I'll make her something different if we're having tomato soup.
  • wychwych
    Options
    I do think that families should all eat the same meal but it can be difficult ( I know family members have problems with their kids) But here is a couple of practical words of advice to try and turn things round.

1) Don't beat yourself up. If you have all eaten in a particular way then its natural to encounter some resistance to change.
    2) if your kids are used to eating one way, it will take time to persuade them to eat differently but they will eventually so persevere.
    3) I don't believe in my daughter suddenly deciding as a teen she doesn't like something, if she has always eaten it then tough but if she has tried something and never liked it then fair enough.
    4) Try to involve younger kids in making meals when you can, they are more likely to eat it...........let older kids experiment a bit in the kitchen. It will give them valuable life skills and you may be surprised what they come up with, particularly if you have taught them the basics first.
    5) Remember they are kids. When one member of my extended family goes on a diet the whole family does and her kids end up seeking sweets etc that they never would have done previously because it is banned at home.
    Good luck!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don' t mind eating less and looking for good foods but I find that I'm making two meals every night. One for my husband and I that are supposed to be healthy, and high sodium junk for my kids.
    junk for the kids..elaborate
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the kids junk. I was doing this. And as of Jan 1st, I stopped. They eat what we eat, because I'm eating pretty clean/whole foods, etc . And if they don't like it, there is always fresh fruit and raw veggies with dinner so they just eat fruit/veggies and that's okay.
  • jaimec25
    Options
    What great points! I especially relate to #4 & #5. My brother and I were like that. I had great metabolism when I was young and in high school, my lunches often consisted of Doritos, candy and Mountain Dew because I didn't get that at home. My poor brother gained tons of weight after high school because we never learned to appreciate healthy eating or cooking and he still basically eats fast food every night of the week because he doesn't cook. I think we need to consider that once something becomes forbidden at home that kids will seek it out from somewhere else and try to give them the knowledge and foundation to understand why we don't eat all of those things. My husband especially is trying to instill an enjoyment of cooking in our kids and I've been talking to my teenage daughter about food contents - calories, fat, carbs, etc. She told me just last night that she doesn't need to worry about calories because she can eat whatever and not gain weight. I told her I used to be like her too but that eventually it will catch up with her and it is much easier to establish healthier habits young. I hope some of this will help them prepare for being on their own.
    I do think that families should all eat the same meal but it can be difficult ( I know family members have problems with their kids) But here is a couple of practical words of advice to try and turn things round.

1) Don't beat yourself up. If you have all eaten in a particular way then its natural to encounter some resistance to change.
    2) if your kids are used to eating one way, it will take time to persuade them to eat differently but they will eventually so persevere.
    3) I don't believe in my daughter suddenly deciding as a teen she doesn't like something, if she has always eaten it then tough but if she has tried something and never liked it then fair enough.
    4) Try to involve younger kids in making meals when you can, they are more likely to eat it...........let older kids experiment a bit in the kitchen. It will give them valuable life skills and you may be surprised what they come up with, particularly if you have taught them the basics first.
    5) Remember they are kids. When one member of my extended family goes on a diet the whole family does and her kids end up seeking sweets etc that they never would have done previously because it is banned at home.
    Good luck!