Exercising ALONE

Options
Does anyone else dislike exercising with others? I felt bad this morning when my boyfriend wanted to go running with me (which I agreed because I enjoy his company 99% any other time) and I was very sullen and moody all the way. We eventually just turned back home (it was cold and windy) and of course I felt terrible about it, but I just found I really push myself harder when it's just me!

Anyone else find it easier to get your burn in solo?

Replies

• Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Kinda, I always feel bad, because I'm so hyper that my girlfriend won't do cardio next to me, because I'm going full tilt for the duration, and apparently it's "unnatural"... But I totally get the working out alone thing, especially if you're running and what not, you naturally match the pace of the other person, and it can feel forced or limited for at least one of you.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I always exercise alone, and prefer it. If I was with someone else I would be thinking about if I was holding them up, or going to fast for them (I run a lot now). Plus they may try to (gasp!) talk to me and I'm not a talker when I'm running.

Although the voices in my head always have a heated debate over how far we will be going.... ;)
  • nymphis
    nymphis Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I dislike going to the gym. I don't like the fact that I can't be myself - I am very self conscious and I know I can't afford to fail in front of other people.

On the other hand I started the 30 DS today and I could make any noises I wanted cause I was alone in the house. :smile:
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yes, I am the same way. My wife has started to work out with me in the mornings. It use to be my own time to be in my own head but now it’s different. I feel bad because I know she is trying to be supportive and do it with me, but when I work out that is my time to focus wholly on myself and I can’t do that when she is there.

I love her and I'm proud of her but I find my focus divided.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't like working out with others. I like to have my music on and I always have conversations in my head about everything and I really can't be bothered talking to anyone so would feel rude.

(I'm quite a solitary person.)
  • lisaamore
    lisaamore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't like running with other people at all! Or any other types of exercise other than classes. When I run, I wear my iPod, keep my own pace. The gals I work with run together all the time, and talk while they run. I cannot do that!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's weird...I like working out at the gym (like cardio and weights) ALONE. I don't want anyone to talk to me, I just like to zone out with my iPod and concentrate on my workout.

However, at Title Boxing, I like to workout with the group. Especially my husband - we motivate each other.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't mind doing something like running, but when it comes to a serious HIIT session or lifting weights, I hate working out with people.

Don't get me wrong, there are times where I'd love to have a spotter. But most of the time, I find I end up chatting too much or sacrificing some part of my routine in order to be considerate.

And I would help someone if they needed motivation or wanted to come with me because they were too intimidated. But generally? I prefer working out alone.
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    No one understands me when I say it! I'm glad to see someone who always feels that way! People tell me I'm weird when I explain how I'd rather exercise alone.
    Everyone says "I push harder when I have to compete with someone" so to them, they say it helps to exercise with someone. (they don't wanna look weak etc)

I don't consider myself a competitive person, I am MOST competitive with myself! It's a head game with ME!!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am so completely opposite on this. I would never go walking without someone to walk with me. I do have a cardio fit, that I would rather do without anyone else around, but walking I want a friend with me.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I work out alone and wouldn't have it any other way :)
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! xD haha, I also hate talking while exercising, like a lot of you. :) lol
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I actually work harder when I have some competition and encouragement. I started training with my friend in team training sessions and My calories burned went from a 300 cal average to a 700 cal average per session. We do sprints and race each other, boxing, and one of us will row while the other jumpropes and we work our *kitten* off to finish quickly so the other isn't dying of fatigue before we rotate positions. I love working out with someone. When Im by myself I just can't go the extra mile like when I have my friend next to me telling me we can do this. Im just starting out though so maybe that's why Im different then most of y'all.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    hmm I do not like running with other people... if its resistance training, or other form of cardio no problem. But running is a bit more personal in my opinion - slow down, sprint, kill yourself, jog at your own pace and not anyone elses ;)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Working out isn't a group activity for me. I got used to working out in my living room with Wii games, workout videos, etc. Once I joined a gym, it was a bit of an adjustment but I don't have any people I go to the gym with or meet up with when I'm there. I like it that way. I can focus, get a good burn in, and not be distracted by another person. I also enjoy running outside alone, I've only ever run with another person once and it was a 5K race. I worked out with my little sister once when I went home for a holiday, she was tough! haha
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I always exercise alone, and prefer it. If I was with someone else I would be thinking about if I was holding them up, or going to fast for them (I run a lot now). Plus they may try to (gasp!) talk to me and I'm not a talker when I'm running.

Although the voices in my head always have a heated debate over how far we will be going.... ;)
    I love this! The voices in my head have the same debate every run!!

When I run, I prefer to run alone, however I have found that I love boot camps and the group environment there. Apparently I am pretty competitive so I begin to compare myself to those who look like they are in better shape than I am and try to keep up or out-do their effort. It really pushes me to work harder.

I DO NOT want to have any type of discussion with anyone during any type of work out though. Except with those voices in my head!
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't like to work out with people because I think its embarrassing. I'm very overweight, and don't want anyone to watch me flopping around like a bag of blubber!! :D
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I enjoy every precious moment I get to workout alone - mostly running. The only time its ok with other people is when I do group yoga, kickboxing or some other class. Otherwise, I fly solo!
  • trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I too prefer to workout alone! Unless with my personal trainer but you don't have to worry about what the other person is doing , whether or not they can keep up or if you should slow down. You can go as hard or slow as you want depending on the day and can really focus on your workout. I think working out alone is the best thing personally. Although when running outdoors I do enjoy some company from time to time.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like working out at Jazzercise. I'm obviously not alone, but my Jazzercise is almost always all women. The women are in all age and fitness levels and I don't feel self-conscious.
    I don't mind going for a walk with my husband, but hate "exercising" with him. Our needs and goals are not at all similar, not to mention he is 8 inches taller and 15 years younger. Working out with spouses turns too competitive for me.
    Good luck to you.