Exercising ALONE

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I don't mind exercising with someone who is serious, like my brother or friend, or a group fitness class, but just in general, I like to be left alone.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Walking is okay with someone. I love walking the dog with my bf, but I always feel like I am holding back or holding him up if we run. He tried talking with me on the run this morning and I barely could gasp words out. :P
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone too. My husband started to work out with me because he wanted to get back into shape. All I find is he distracts me especially if its a really hard move like in my ab workout and he finds it too hard so he just lays there and then he decides it will be funny to tickle me. This gets me out of my rhythm and I screw up the exercise. When I workout I am serious I am there to get the work done goofing off is for later.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love doing classes, having the other people around me only motivates me to keep pushing. Same thing with running, if i run alone I tend to keep a slower pace. When me and my husband go running, I don't expect him to stay right beside me. I want him to go ahead of me so that I can find a good pace and keep it. We never talk unless we are walking. I'd love for him to join me at the gym and be my spotter while doing weights but he hates the gym. =/
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    awesomeness doing 30ds myself =D dont you just love it.

SOLO is the best way to go!!!

keep up the great work people.

I dislike going to the gym. I don't like the fact that I can't be myself - I am very self conscious and I know I can't afford to fail in front of other people.

On the other hand I started the 30 DS today and I could make any noises I wanted cause I was alone in the house. :smile:
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I prefer solitude for cardio, as many previous posters have said, it is your time to get in your head and think your own thoughts. I will listen to my iPod in a gym environment or walking later in the day when more people are out, to tune them out, but if it's really early in the morning, I just want that silence - something I rarely have in my daily life.

I would like to work with a trainer or more experienced partner for a while for strength training, as I can't see my own form and I want to be sure I am doing the moves correctly and effectively. But after I learn, I would probably prefer to be alone for that too.
  • RachelVerthein
    Options
    I love working out alone. It gives me ME time and I can stay focused and do what I need to do.
  • mjbrickley
    Options
    I dont care to much for working out in public gyms and places like that, doing any kind of cardio indoor or outdoor I always prefer to do on my own, it gives me the freedom to set the pace I want for that workout. However weight training workouts I always prefer to work out with one other person especially for medicine ball workouts.
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I HATE working out with people, although I enjoy having support I feel that I don't get a great workout when I do it with friends. I feel that I have to scale back my weights so that I don't intimidate them, and I feel that I have to go beyond my comfort zone when running to keep up with my more advanced "cardio" friends! Plus, how am I suppose to "rock out" when they wanna talk? :)
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I totally prefer exercising alone. Otherwise I feel I'm obligated to talk to whoever is with me, and that always messes with my momentum. Plus, my hubby is in WAY better shape than I am and I always feel super self conscious (he likes to give me "advice" while I'm working out). I always make him leave the room when I'm doing my exercise videos...
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I always exercise alone. When I first joined my gym it was with my sister but she stopped going and I continued alone. Now when someone wants to go with me (my sister or husband) I agree, but I do enjoy working out by myself. I have my own home gym now anyway and next month my gym membership will be ending so I won't have to worry.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I like exercising alone too. I like to jog alone and use the elliptical alone cuz I have my ipod I'm listening to. It's kinda my "me" time. I don't mind if someone is around when I am using my exercise ball cuz I am usually watching tv -or trying to- when I am using it anyways.
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually work harder when I have some competition and encouragement.

This! I also find that I'll stay longer if I'm at the gym with somebody.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Love to workout alone! Can go at my own pace and as long as I want without feeling rushed.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising alone - but once in a while it is nice to exercise with someone so long as you both plan it in advance and are happy about it. But during those times I am not as focused on working out as socializing and if I really want to workout that day then I will still do a workout by myself.
  • amberpryor
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I am able to maintain focus a lot easier when I'm alone. Plus, I hate it when I want to go a lot faster or harder than the person I'm with. It becomes a social outing rather than a workout. On the other hand, in a group class, I tend to try a little harder to keep up with the instructor than I would if alone. And if I'm running with someone who has a similar gait and speed, it can motivate me to keep going through the pain.

If, however, I had a friend who was unmotivated to exercise anyway, I might go with them just to ensure that they go at all! (Not every day, but maybe once a week.) Or go to the gym together so that you can each have your own machine and go at your own speed.
  • wordynerd76
    Options
    I also prefer exercising "alone". So glad to see I'm not the only one!! :)

I mean, I don't have to be the only one around - I'll even accept a friend being right next to me - but I don't chat. I'm not on that horrible torture device (elliptical) to socialize, you know? I actually get annoyed with people who see me plugged into my MP3 player and then try to strike up a conversation with me. It's like reading at lunch and having the same thing happen. UGH! Anyway, my work-out time is my me time. I like to "zone out" (as my hubby calls it): pop in my ear buds, pull up my workout playlist, and then get lost in the music. That's my Zen. Let anyone who dares interrupt my Zen beware!! lol
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to work out alone. I feel the same way about shopping too. I get more done in less time!
  • cleach29
    Options
    Overall I dislike working out with others, but my boyfriend and I go to the gym together often. We don't usually talk too much and we do our own thing. We'll partner up to spot for weightlifting, do some partner stretches, etc. I have really enjoyed having his help and motivation for that part of the workout while still balancing alone time w/ my headphones for the rest of the workout.
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    WOW I thought I was the only one! I love my friends but I do not like to workout with them! I love having my MP3 player and I could work out for hours...even when I do my 5ks I do not want to talk!
    I will occassional but I dont like it!