Exercising ALONE

Options

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you can have a conversation while you are exercising then you are not doing it right :smile:

THIS! Some things are fun to do with others, but for the most part my exercise is MY time. If I want to socialize I go out for dinner or drinks!
  • ljholmann
    Options
    It depends upon the exercise for me. If I am doing a circuit training DVD, I would prefer to be alone. If I am walking, I would prefer to have someone with me, I tend to get bored. I'm not up to running yet, so maybe that will change.
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find that when I work out with my husband we both become very moody for whatever reason. totally defeats the purpose of working out for us. we do our own workouts at seperate times of the day or we both work out at the same time in different spaces at home. I prefer it that way and he does too! We also jog on our own time. he is about 1 minute faster on a mile run than me, so if we run together I tend to push myself too hard and get uncomfortable or he slows down too much and doesnt accomplish his running goals.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always exercise alone, and prefer it. If I was with someone else I would be thinking about if I was holding them up, or going to fast for them (I run a lot now). Plus they may try to (gasp!) talk to me and I'm not a talker when I'm running.

Although the voices in my head always have a heated debate over how far we will be going.... ;)

I'm the same. Also, lol about the voices :)

I do, however, enjoy jogging in races and sometimes being at the gym - but there I'm energized by lots of people with similar goals, without having to feel responsible for keeping someone else's pace, talking, etc.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I hate running with people -- I just like to keep to myself and not talk and just rock out to my music -- my bf has asked several times to run with me but I turn him down -- that's ME time
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I totally prefer exercising alone! That is why MFP is perfect for me. I can exercise alone but then come here for support, ideas, and discussion about getting healthy.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that your boyfriend wants to exercise with you. I don't think a lot of couples can say the same. You can have shared fitness goals which can strengthen your relationship (and it looks like you both already have something great going for you). I understand how you feel about running alone, though. For most people, running alone is much needed solitary time and where you get to focus on just yourself for once. On the flip side, I know people who find their running to be more enjoyable when partnered or in a group because it gives them more energy and motivation. Maybe if you give it another try to run with your boyfriend, on a nicer day, you might feel differently... Let your boyfriend know you appreciate him for wanting to exercise with you and to be healthy together. Give it another shot. If you still feel like you are at your absolute best when running alone, let him know that you want to go this alone, and look for another fitness activity that you can both share and enjoy together.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I always do my weights alone with out fail!!!

I run with other people however I always leave them behind haha and sit at the finish line for a good 5+ minutes waiting for them... I dont like running anywhere else though with other people as they slow me down... So a common running track is okay.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    For me working out is something I do for me, myself, and I... I have my own pace, I push harder when I am alone. Alone I can get into my own head, focus completely of whatever exercise I am doing - simply just easier.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I like working out alone, except with my trainer. He pushes me, but that's still just focused on me. But I once had a trainer who added someone else to our 5 AM workouts and we had to switch off machines, etc... I tried being a team player for about a week, and then I never went back. Hated having to follow someone else's sweat.. yuck!

And once a neighbor asked if she could start joining me on my walks, because I walked the bayou trail almost every day. I politely said no, I prefer walking alone. Her jaw dropped... I felt bad.. but it's my walk!
  • SConlon1978
    Options
    Like working out on my own, my own timetable, can do whatever I feel I need at the time and can push or slow down without someone looking over me.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am a solo exerciser all the way. The reasons are many.

In group fitness classes, I feel like I'm always sort of focused on how stupid I look, rather than getting a good workout. I look at myself in the mirror and think 'jacka$$'! At home, I don't have a mirror and can flail around and dance as badly as I like.

When I go out hiking/walking, I enjoy the solo time. I want to listen to my music or my audiobook and enjoy the scenery and solitude. Besides, most people - even my dog - have a hard time keeping up with my pace.

When I lift, I really need to focus. I am so easily distracted, and having other people around just takes me out of the moment. I get a much better workout in my basement than I ever did when I was a gym member.

I like to wear ugly, tattered mismatched workout clothes. Also, I sweat like a FREAK. These are not things I want to share with others. :-)
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I just completed the Soul Mate Workout portion of the book PUSH. It said I prefer to workout alone, so yeah lol. I find running is my best friend. It's alone, outdoors, I can blast music, and it makes me feel young :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context. I adore the social aspect of my salsa fitness class, feel gregarious there, and totally soak that up. But when I lift, I get very grumpy whenever others start chit chatting. I try not to act rude, but I would much prefer to be left alone to get completely absorbed in my music and workout. Running? Def alone.
  • DEBAUD
    DEBAUD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love working out by myself. My work has a gym that I've used daily for years. I use to be the only one in the gym but for the past year randoms come and go and it REALLY irritates me having them invade my gym space(lol it's not my gym but in my head I think it is). So I totally feel ya girl.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise alone, usually. There are certain things, like speedwalking and hiking, that I like to do with others. And I'd like to join a yoga class sometime, mostly to make sure I get the form right, and I can go jogging with my boyfriend, but I feel like I'm holding him up. He ran cross-country in high school, and has continued to jog ever since, so he's faster and has way more endurance than me. So when he stops for me, or goes slower to match my pace, I feel like he isn't getting as good a workout as he could, but he genuinely doesn't mind, so it's nice to have him as a "coach" to push me. And I do like to go bike riding with him, since that IS something we are equals at. :tongue: But otherwise, I prefer to jog alone, use my Zumba DVD alone, stationary bike alone, weight-lifting alone, 30DS alone, etc. I find that people either want to talk too much (are you really working out if you can TALK the entire time? :noway: ) or they're too fast/too slow for me. I really need an iPod so I can have some music with me for jogging. >.<
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I like weight training alone. I don't want anyone getting in my way or messing up my rhythm. I use headphones, turn them up loud, and disregard everyone else. I'm similar with indoor cardio. I don't want to talk to you, and if you're talking to me, you're not working hard enough.

The only exception I have to this is walking or running outside with my wife. She is great company!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Started working out with my husband... but he wont put in an entire hour so he leaves in the middle of my workout. (That gentlemen is rude.)

However, it has made me resilient, and now I prefer to burn alone.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    YES. I'm a loner and I like to do what I gotta do without interruptionand get done. I don't want to work out with someone unless they already know what they're doing. So if my man wanted to go workout together in the weight room, I'd go, but chances are we will do different stuff most of the time and when we work in together it still goes quick. I've tried working out with friends but it's always a disaster. They'll basically ask me to show them how to do weights and when I tell them the basics, it's immediate complaints or arguments. One friend I tried to have her do delt raises, military press and shruggs. She immediately balked at the thought of having such "manly, big, bulky shoulders". Or she argued that some guy told her she shouldn't do them or that would happen. I've only successfully "trained" two friends. They have to have the right mentality. Otherwise, it's a WASTE OF TIME!!! If your friend is on the SAME level, then it could make for good company. Unfortunately, I'm the only girl I know who knows what she's doing. So LONER it is!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba with friends on Monday nights and run with friends Thursday nights and Sunday morning. The rest of my exercise is alone time. It's how I meditate, basically. I do a lot of thinking and I can go at my own pace when I'm alone.

I don't dislike exercising with others, but I do like to do it alone sometimes, too.