Is your job trying to help you lose weight?

Options
Earlier this week, we all noticed a Flat screen TV, and an Xbox with Kinect had been installed in our cafeteria area. There was also a Foosball table. I just spoke to our facilities guys who told me they're also bringing in a ping pong table. There are three buildings with about 200 employees in each and this setup is happening in each building. This is an initiative from our heath and wellness center. All the Kinect games are cardio type games to try and get people moving. I already see building walking our mile long hallways or walking around the parking lot. I thought this was a pretty good addition. Is your job doing anything to help you.

Replies

• jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work in a Church, so those kind of things are a little out of the question. Also the Church is doing a "Biggest Loser" contest. So with that being said yeah I guess my job is trying to help me lose weight. Between the support I get from my Pastors that I work for (The Assc. Pastor, and Sr. Pastor wife are doing the Biggest Loser as well) as well as everyone at the Church I get a lot of support.
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I work from home as of this past October. My job didn't buy it, but I walk on a treadmill desk while I work now. Up to 10 miles per day. So my "job" didn't help me, but my job itself does help me!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I work at a university with an amazing fitness center. Employees can use the place for $10 a month, and if you take a wellness screening once a year you get $100 back... $20 a year for a gym, yes please! I go every day at lunch time.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I work from home as of this past October. My job didn't buy it, but I walk on a treadmill desk while I work now. Up to 10 miles per day. So my "job" didn't help me, but my job itself does help me!
    That's pretty cool.
  • TayJoMama
    Options
    I work at a university with an amazing fitness center. Employees can use the place for $10 a month, and if you take a wellness screening once a year you get $100 back... $20 a year for a gym, yes please! I go every day at lunch time.
    That's awesome. We have a wellness center, but it's small and doesn't have the best equipment.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week, we all noticed a Flat screen TV, and an Xbox with Kinect had been installed in our cafeteria area. There was also a Foosball table. I just spoke to our facilities guys who told me they're also bringing in a ping pong table. There are three buildings with about 200 employees in each and this setup is happening in each building. This is an initiative from our heath and wellness center. All the Kinect games are cardio type games to try and get people moving. I already see building walking our mile long hallways or walking around the parking lot. I thought this was a pretty good addition. Is your job doing anything to help you.

That is awesome! I wish my job would do something like this! They're all for healthy living (fashion world job here) & being thin but they don't want to pay for it, haha.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My job just joined the Virgin Healthmiles thing... trying to reward us for positive changes with cold, hard cash. I'm gonna try it out, although the site seems pretty weak, and its based on carrying around a pedometer, which to me is nothing but wishful thinking. But free money is free money.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    The only thing my company does is send us little healthy reminders to walk and drink water.....

they are not very supportive.
  • purseus
    purseus Posts: 54
    Options
    well my job keeps me in shape i run (and i mean run) stuff for cashiers and i also push carts all day (with my bare hands not those electric cart pushers).
  • TayJoMama
    Options
    I work in a Church, so those kind of things are a little out of the question. Also the Church is doing a "Biggest Loser" contest. So with that being said yeah I guess my job is trying to help me lose weight. Between the support I get from my Pastors that I work for (The Assc. Pastor, and Sr. Pastor wife are doing the Biggest Loser as well) as well as everyone at the Church I get a lot of support.
    Our job did the biggest loser last year and a ton of people joined and the winner won a trip to the Ritz in Naples, FL. This year there's a $10 entrance fee. I think that will discourage people from joining. Not sure if that was the intent or not, especially since they haven't said what this years prize is.
  • emaline614
    emaline614 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No... but that would be awesome seeing as I work in health care.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ha ha... NO! In fact there are six dozen donuts in our break area right now!
    We also have a cafeteria and "gravy" is considered it's own food group and served on every meal.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The only thing my company does is send us little healthy reminders to walk and drink water.....

they are not very supportive.

Mine doesn't even do that... No, don't get a lot of support from work here, either. Sounds great for all the people who do!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I just got a pedal desk, so YES!!! =)
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    We have a program at the beginning of every year called "Scale Back Alabama." You're put into groups of five and if everyone in the group loses 10 pounds in 10 weeks, you're entered into a drawing for a prize. That's actually what got me started on here a year ago, and I'm at my goal weight now, 65 lbs lighter. So I guess my job DID help me lose weight. ^.^
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My job has some sort of fitness incentive thing starting soon where you get reiumbursed on your gym membership if you go so much and you can accumulate points for different things and turn your points in for gift cards and whatnot.
  • TayJoMama
    Options
    Ha ha... NO! In fact there are six dozen donuts in our break area right now!
    We also have a cafeteria and "gravy" is considered it's own food group and served on every meal.
    Oh yes, there was a constant smorgasbord here during the holidays.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    We have a Wii in our lunch room, but they only have Mario Kart and whatevery one has the bowling. Last year they had a Wii bowling league.

But they do offer bootcamp classes. I took them last spring at lunch time on Mondays and Wednesdays. Now they are after work and that doesn' t work for me because my husband works evenings and I need to get home to be with our son. They are also starting a walking club at lunch times and in the past they've had yoga classes.

I also can use some of the areas to do my jogging (my office is located in a trade show and conference centre and we have a small arena as well). If it's too cold to go outside I do my C25K in one of the trade show halls or in the mostly unused arena.

For full-time salary employees (I'm not one) they have a health and wellness benefit where they will reimburse up to $300 a year for health and wellness/fitness related purchases. There's some wonky catches (like a stationary bike qualifies, a real bike doesn't) but still a good deal.
  • scoobydoojoe
    scoobydoojoe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My workplace is a smaller business, but we are reshifting our office and warehouse space around, and a workout room with shows and sauna are in the plans for 2012 as many of our employees have been working out on their own and once everyone realized they had the same goals, one of our execs got behind this initiative. Personally I don't know if I will use it much or not, since I use the YMCA and prefer to swim and play basketball for big parts of my cardio, but I am happy they are looking out for everyone.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We are each given a $300 yearly wellness allowance to pay for gym equipment or memberships. Then each month we have wellness programs and prizes. Right now they are doing a BL type contest with a cash prize! It is all very helpful!