Is your job trying to help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    I work for a HUGE health insurance comany. They encourage it here. We have a gym with personal trainers and classes. It's running employees 20.00 a month. They have parts of the building mapped out for us to walk and know the distance. They do a lot of stuff through the year. I just can't think of it off the top of my head. WW's at work is here, too. Ironically, our stairs are off limits and only used during fire drill and emergencies. I learned the hard way. I was LOCKED in the stairwail my first day. No one told me stairs were off limits. How crazy is that??? Our wellness people are always arguing this facilities.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    They offer us a "biometric screening" once a year, and they pay anyone who takes it. They check your weight, cholesterol numbers, measurements, etc.
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work at a liquor store that sells ginormous fountain pops for like 80 cents. Yeah, they're not very supportive.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Yes and no...I have a great deal of flexibility to work from home 2 to 3 days a week, so indirectly speaking, my job allows me to prepare food at home which is a huge help. Also, on those days, since I don't have a 25 - 35 min commute, I sort of gain and hour or so that I can use to go to the gym or do something active instead.

The only real problem comes when I travel for work. My daily schedule goes out the window while on the road and I have a hard time especially in more rural areas finding food that is healthier yet still good.
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish. My job is the reason I get fat... LoL. I work at Starbucks and get free drink all day long.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yep!! We have a gym in the building with cardio and weight machines and a room for classes (there are also locker rooms with showers). We have a yoga instructor come in and teach classes and there are people within the company that do classes for Zumba and P90X, or you can schedule time in that room to do whatever exercise you want (there's a TV and DVD player and a stereo with a Ipod dock). They also have a ping pong table, a bicycle storage room and do weight watcher challenges. They sponsor a Bloomsday race team (local 12K) and lots of fundraiser runs/walks.

The cafeteria has a full salad bar and lots of really great healthy options and the company subsidizes the cost so it's pretty cheap.

All this was just an added bonus for already working for a great company.

ETA - the gym in the building is free, but they also get great discounts rates to local gyms if you want to join. Our health insurance covers a free check up every year and they have lots of "get healthy" programs that you can join for free and get tons of support. My husband just used their quit tobacco program to quit chewing tobacco and they paid for everything - even the prescription that would have cost us about $200 a month.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I work retail, so the more days I work, the more hours I'm on my feet everyday, which helps.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    No, they offer free food to everyone. Nothing is healthy.

Semi-related. Some ppl go on 6-10 cigarette breaks a day..nearly one every half hour.

wtf mate
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I work for an investment firm but my office is a 2 person office but lucky for me there is a curves center literally 2 doors down, so I go on my lunch hour to workout.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Not a thing here
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite. Several people in my department started a "Biggest Loser" competition and we were told by HR that we had to shut it down because somebody might be offended and we can't judge people on their appearance.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My company has recently step up walking workstations. A computer setup on a treadmill. They also put workout stations in the courtyard. Although they did it at the worst time, right before winter. Being that this is Minnesota I don't think I will see many people out there for several months.

On the flip side of companies helping and prompting healthy lifestyles. Our "Job Well Done" treats from leadership are always candy, cookies, cake, or other various junk food. Also the lower level management all have candy dishes on the file cabinets.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    nope not a bit. if anything they help me gain weight by bringing donuts and ordering pizza...:(
  • yulinerinwang
    yulinerinwang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military and so they always try to compel us to lose weight and stay in shape. It's hard though, as I work a desk job and have to sit on butt most of the day. I've been considering trying to get a standing desk.

In the meantime, me and an old supervisor have been "racing" to 200 lbs. Whoever crosses that line first gets 25 bucks from the other one!

Uhhh that sounds wonderful! I should join military!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i work at starbucks.

last night my manager bought me a cookie that was as big as my head because i was the only one who would come in during a snow storm.

so no they dont help me stay active haha. i did have to sweep, mop, put up chairs and tables, do an hrs worth of dishes, restock, make peoples drinks etc... which makes me sweat a bit after 8 hrs but i consider that more slave labor then keeping me healthy...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I work in a church, I'm the pastor...and if anything, people have done more to stop or stall my weight loss than help it. Some were unintentional, like the sweet little old ladies who would leave a dessert on my desk after their WMU meetings just to "treat" me...others actually griped and complained about me losing weight.
    Thankfully though, a few people have caught the bug and have begun their own weight loss programs! So while I'm not getting much help, I'm helping others!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We are currently doing a Biggest Loser competition. I'm in 2nd Place!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The company I work for also does an annual biggest loser contest, they bring in fitness instructors for free classes, we eat a buffet lunch and are offered "healthy options". There are usually different incentives to get healthy. Like recently everyone who weighed in and kept and turned in food and fitness logs were eligible for some sort of prize. We have a licensed nutritionist on staff who is available for help and weigh ins.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I work in a bar, so we're already running our butts off. However, the free shift drink, when I choose to take advantage of it, certainly isn't helping any ;)
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    my job does everything to make us fat, it's a private company so my boss smokes his head off everyday, we have the skinny people who think it's nice to bring in snacks like bagels, bags of candy, donuts and so on. Some of them think it's fun to go for an ice cream run ( even if it is 50 below outside).

So overall my job is a great place to work if you want to lead a nicotine filled obese lifestyle.

Luckily I have MFP and my gym! I am the only person in my office that works out, there are about 30 employees here.