Low Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There is truth in calories in and calories out, but most people do not take into account the inefficency of burning ketones vs glucose. Ketobodies have fewer available calories by weight than fat, so it takes more to yield the same number of burnable calories. That is why low carb dieting is so fast. Often faster than fasting, which your body will go after muscle tissue first.

Too bad low carb/keto diets have no metabolic advantage. Any initial faster weight loss vs a mixed diet is water weight, and studies have shown greater fat loss on a mixed diet vs low carb diet holding calories constant
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There is truth in calories in and calories out, but most people do not take into account the inefficency of burning ketones vs glucose. Ketobodies have fewer available calories by weight than fat, so it takes more to yield the same number of burnable calories. That is why low carb dieting is so fast. Often faster than fasting, which your body will go after muscle tissue first.

Too bad low carb/keto diets have no metabolic advantage. Any initial faster weight loss vs a mixed diet is water weight, and studies have shown greater fat loss on a mixed diet vs low carb diet holding calories constant
    Depends on the study and the actual amount of carbs. Many of the studies never lowered the carbs to the level to induce dietary ketosis. There are many studies that show the opposite. Like I said, pick a "religion".

The "advantage" is fact that a ketone body is an inefficient fuel source. When a gram fatty acid is converted to a KB it contains 7 calories. A gram of fat has 9. This means that the normal pound of fat has less than 3500 calories once converted.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd week of low carb/paleo/primal, my own version of everything :) Your body will adjust and you will feel better, promise! I've done this lifestyle several times so I adjusted back pretty quickly, but the detox sluggish time is hard, you just have to fight through it. 5 hr energy and black coffee are your friends :) Good Luck!

don't stress about all the people that will condemn low carbing with "facts' and "opinions", all that matters if your choice and what works for you! Everyone's body is different and requires different ways of eating. Me personally, I am insulin resistant and will be diabetic soon if i don't make the changes. so my body works really well with a lower carb diet.
  • Acg67
    Options

Depends on the study and the actual amount of carbs. Many of the studies never lowered the carbs to the level to induce dietary ketosis. There are many studies that show the opposite. Like I said, pick a "religion".

The "advantage" is fact that a ketone body is an inefficient fuel source. When a gram fatty acid is converted to a KB it contains 7 calories. A gram of fat has 9. This means that the normal pound of fat has less than 3500 calories once converted.

Controlled metabolic ward studies showing no advantage,

http://www.ajcn.org/content/20/10/1104.full.pdf

http://www.ajcn.org/content/21/11/1291.full.pdf

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/11/4480.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968851

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561057

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2319073

I beleive there is only one metabolic ward study showing a metabolic advantage to keto diets and that has never been able to be recreated
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can't and will not do low/no carb. Besides the fact that I LOVE my carbs my mood was awful, I felt awful all day and this was still after a week. At the time that I tried it I didn't know that I could have withdrawal. I did a little research and found out that I'm just one of those people who can't do it. My carbs always come from whole grains. I do low carb for dinner instead. NEVER AGAIN!!!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying the bad press on Low Carb -- read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Traube. It is not a diet book - it's a scientific study that discusses what happens when we eat different ratios of food.

There may be some who can eat carbs and still lose weight -- but 45-50% of overweight people have an inability to correctly process and use the carbs as fuel. So, they pile on belly fat despite low calorie and exercise. I am one of these people - ride a bike, walk, run, strength training, etc. and I will not lose weight on so-called "good" carbs like fruit and whole grains.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks. I did a lot of research before I started changing the way I eat, so it's not as if I'm just jumping in on the latest "diet" fad. I got back in to working out in September and I've been counting calories for over a month now simply as a way to get a good idea of what I take in. I had already cut out junk food, so reducing carbs was the next logical step (at least to me after all my readings).

I've lost a lot of inches, but only 5 lbs because I've built up some solid muscle in my arms and back. I'm hoping that tweaking my diet will help me get to a healthier weight.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm not buying the bad press on Low Carb -- read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Traube. It is not a diet book - it's a scientific study that discusses what happens when we eat different ratios of food.

Only read that book if you want your head filled with nonsense, with the exception of the section on the lipid hypothesis.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Controlled metabolic ward studies showing no advantage,

http://www.ajcn.org/content/20/10/1104.full.pdf

http://www.ajcn.org/content/21/11/1291.full.pdf

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/11/4480.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968851

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561057

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2319073

I beleive there is only one metabolic ward study showing a metabolic advantage to keto diets and that has never been able to be recreated

I read one of the publications you posted and found it to be very interesting. I will continue to read the rest. Thanks for posting:
    One of the parts I found interesting was this.
    Unfortunately, many diets proposed to
    the public lay claim to the scientific validity
    lent them by studies such as those cited
    above. The present work confirms earlier
    reports, however, that the only metabolic
    advantage offered by a low-carbohydrate
    diet is its dehydrating potential. Upon representation
    of carbohydrate in the presence
    of sodium, this water debt must be
    repaid. On the basis of this work it is felt
    by the authors that a mixed diet is one in
    which fluid shifts and their consequent
    periods of confusion and alternating delight
    and despair are offset, and is therefore
    one likely to be of most sustained
    benefit to the obese individual.
    REFERENCES
    1. LyoN, D. M., AND D. IıI. DUNLOP. The treatment
    of obesity. A comssparison of the effects
    of diet and of thyroid extract. Quart. J. illed.
    1: 33, 1932.
    2. ANDERSON, A. B. Loss of weight ims obese patients
    on submaintenance diets and the effect
    of variation in the ratio of carbohydrate to
    fat in the diet. Quart. J. Med. 13: 27, 1944.
    3. PENNINGTON, A. %V. A reorientation on obesity.
    New Ermgl. 1. Med. 248: 959, 1953.
    4. WERNER, S. C. Consparison between weight
    reduction on a high calorie, high fat diet and
    on an isocaloric regimen high in carbohydrate.
    New Engi. J. Med. 252: 661, 1955.
    Downloaded from www.ajcn.org by guest on January 13, 2012
    Interesting-
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    People like AGC67 are why I very rarely post or ask questions in the forums. I have learned better than to answer questions here. Not sure why I did.

Bye all!
  • Acg67
    Options
    People like AGC67 are why I very rarely post or ask questions in the forums. I have learned better than to answer questions here. Not sure why I did.

Bye all!

yes, how dare someone question something you posted, esp considering it was incorrect.
  • dls06
    Options

Bye all!
    Because we are all entitled to have an opinion. Theirs is no better then yours. Thats why they make Vanilla and Chocolate. :flowerforyou:
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One would think that these message boards are a place to cheer on and support others, not tell them that their lifestyle choices are wrong. Honestly, if you look hard enough....you can find "evidence" to support almost any opinion, diet, or work out routine. It's up to the individual person to find what works best for them. It's not for us to tell them that they are wrong. I don't care if your eating habits consist of water and bologna sandwiches. If that's what you want to do...go for it. Hope it works. :smile:
  • dls06
    Options
    One would think that these message boards are a place to cheer on and support others, not tell them that their lifestyle choices are wrong. Honestly, if you look hard enough....you can find "evidence" to support almost any opinion, diet, or work out routine. It's up to the individual person to find what works best for them. It's not for us to tell them that they are wrong. I don't care if your eating habits consist of water and bologna sandwiches. If that's what you want to do...go for it. Hope it works. :smile:

After you've been here for a while you will see how passionate people are about their diets. :wink:
    The great carb debate is the worst. I've seen it go on for days.........................................Until it was shut down.
    Keeps it interesting.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yup. Unfortunately sometimes people confuse science with preference. While science is for the most part understood and why people chime in with busting the many myths surrounding nutrition on these boards, this has nothing to do with someone preferring one diet over the other..........there's no metabolic advatage for any of them....I consume a lower carb diet (200g's a day +/-) which I prefer based on the fact I'll binge eat carbs given the chance and my current diet has totally cured me of that and now I can concentrate on what I want as opposed to what I can't control. Others will prefer a high carb diet, or Keto.......like I said it's the misinformation that needs to be coraled and Acg does a good job and obviously people get their nose out of joint as opposed to actually doing more research........personally I like this quote " Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love low carb way of eating.....I'm another one that has to eat this way to be healthy...
    Be it everyone has their own opinion, this one is mine.
    I have had 2 Doctors tell me this is the way I should be eating, so I am and have more energy than I have in a long time!
    That being said each one of us need to find what works for yourself there's lots of good info out there!
    Don't forget in truth....one size does not fit all!
  • MissKim
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks. I did a lot of research before I started changing the way I eat, so it's not as if I'm just jumping in on the latest "diet" fad. I got back in to working out in September and I've been counting calories for over a month now simply as a way to get a good idea of what I take in. I had already cut out junk food, so reducing carbs was the next logical step (at least to me after all my readings).

I've lost a lot of inches, but only 5 lbs because I've built up some solid muscle in my arms and back. I'm hoping that tweaking my diet will help me get to a healthier weight.

Try checking out www.marksdailyapple.com I love love love that site!
  • MissKim
    Options
    Ignore the haters :) Honestly, don't even reply to them...it just feeds the fire. Some people have nothing better to do with their time than cause drama. Just know that you have plenty of people that eat just like you here to support you!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm almost through my first week of eating low carb. It's been relatively easy but it does take a lot of self control and fair amount to planning. I'm going through the carb "withdrawal": grumpiness, fatigue, lack of concentration, etc. It hasn't been too bad, but I have noticed a difference. The biggest difference I've noticed is that the length of my cardio workouts have decreased. I was doing 30 to 35 min on the elliptical at 5.5mph, but now I'm down to 20 min at 5.0 mph and I'm DEAD! My boyfriend (a runner) said it's because my body is adjusting to not having carbs to use for energy. I haven't built up the enzymes that burn fat yet, and until I do....my cardio will continue to be slow and harder than usual.

Have any other low carb eaters experienced this?

No, my experience was quite the opposite.

You don't want to do very much cardio training anyway. Read up about chronic cardio and how it ages you and the risk of energy to the bones, joints, ligaments, etc is very high. Marks Daily apple is a great resource.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

Focus on strength training with some occasional sprints. And walking at a slow pace is great!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Wow, I guess I had more than 100 pounds of water weight and no fat weight when I lost 100 pounds on Atkins in 2003.

And I can eat the same amount of calories on a Standard eating plan and gain weight where as with low carb I lose weight.

Explain that?