Low Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well if what you say is true and insulin has no affect on hunger, calorie consumption, or the ability to lose weight, then what may I ask is the reason people get fat, and what is the best way to reverse it?

I'm not sure i ever said it has zero effect on all the things you listed, it does play a role, but it is not the be all end all that the insulin theory of obesity would lead you to believe and those people who support that hypothesis seem to gloss over some very inconvenient little facts.

As for the cause of people getting fat, it's multi faceted, over time we as a population have become more sedentary and simultaneously increased caloric consumption, which has lead to lots of people over consuming calories. There's also the notion we live in a culture of convenience, people want things now and don't have or want to take the time to actually cook meals, this has lead to the over consumption of less nutrient dense, more calories dense foods. Also you could point at the belief that it's expensive to eat "healthy", so they opt for what they think is cheaper, again less nutrient dense more calorie dense foods. All these things contribute to the problem, singling out 1 macro nutrient or insulin for obesity is downright silly.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

They consume more calories than they expend.

Consume fewer calories than you expend.

Why do they consume more than they expend? What is wrong with them? How do you consume fewer calories than you expend without being hungry all the time?

Generally by consuming sufficient protein and fiber. A diet that consists primarily of whole foods rather than calorically-dense, nutritionally sparse, foods will usually do it.

Low-carb is one strategy, IF is another, and too many others to name. There's nothing magical about any of them, the ALL work by creating a caloric deficit.

The key to any successful diet is adherence. Choose the one that you can adhere to (long-term) and greatness will follow.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Well if what you say is true and insulin has no affect on hunger, calorie consumption, or the ability to lose weight, then what may I ask is the reason people get fat, and what is the best way to reverse it?

I'm not sure i ever said it has zero effect on all the things you listed, it does play a role, but it is not the be all end all that the insulin theory of obesity would lead you to believe and those people who support that hypothesis seem to gloss over some very inconvenient little facts.

As for the cause of people getting fat, it's multi faceted, over time we as a population have become more sedentary and simultaneously increased caloric consumption, which has lead to lots of people over consuming calories. There's also the notion we live in a culture of convenience, people want things now and don't have or want to take the time to actually cook meals, this has lead to the over consumption of less nutrient dense, more calories dense foods. Also you could point at the belief that it's expensive to eat "healthy", so they opt for what they think is cheaper, again less nutrient dense more calorie dense foods. All these things contribute to the problem, singling out 1 macro nutrient or insulin for obesity is downright silly.

I just think its odd that tweaking one variable can have such a dramatic affect on someone's health. Sure maybe cutting carbs is cutting calories in disguise, but I just find it interesting that it is so easy to create a calorie deficit by cutting carbs, yet so difficult to create a calorie deficit while cutting calories, as long as the diet remains high in carbohydrates. Plus exercise doesn't seem to make any difference in the progress.
  • grinch031
    Options

Generally by consuming sufficient protein and fiber. A diet that consists primarily of whole foods rather than calorically-dense, nutritionally sparse, foods will usually do it.

Low-carb is one strategy, IF is another, and too many others to name. There's nothing magical about any of them, the ALL work by creating a caloric deficit.

The key to any successful diet is adherence. Choose the one that you can adhere to (long-term) and greatness will follow.

Except fat is calorically dense and people lose more weight when the highest percentage of calories they eat is from fat.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i am always hungry, losing weight is effectively not eating enough, so your body reverts to eating itself . . . . . you should be hungry

So why do most people gain weight once they hit their goal weight? If its so simple, why do most people fail at doing it?

How come I can run on a treadmill bored out of my mind for 10-12 miles and even though I think about quitting midway through the run I never do, yet when it comes to simply avoiding a slice of pizza at 10pm when I'm watching TV, I completely lack the willpower? Is there something more to it than that?

i dont care much for the science of it all.........but i would say dont have pizza near you at 10pm. I get home from work at midnight and if there was pizza there, i would eat it, but there isn't. Instead i hammer down 32oz of water and go to bed. The hunger reminds me of my goal. Dont give in to it, embrace it.
  • Acg67
    Options

Except fat is calorically dense and people lose more weight when the highest percentage of calories they eat is from fat.

i'm too lazy to get it right now, but look up the satiety index by Holt et al, fat foods weren't as satiating as the researchers had thought, while white potatoes came in 1st and surprisingly jelly beans came in about the same as pasta. the caveat for the fatty foods was everything was fed isocalorically so people got much smaller portions of fatty foods. There are other studies that have shown the same thing though, protein is generally the most satiating with fat only being somewhat
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Stop making things up:

The vast majority of long-term studies show no difference between varied levels of carbs/fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20141567

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20679559

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15632335

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15148064
  • grinch031
    Options

i dont care much for the science of it all.........but i would say dont have pizza near you at 10pm. I get home from work at midnight and if there was pizza there, i would eat it, but there isn't. Instead i hammer down 32oz of water and go to bed. The hunger reminds me of my goal. Dont give in to it, embrace it.

Its not even an issue now that its off the diet. I will still eat pizza on a cheat day every other week or so, and that's good enough. It just seems weird that I went hungry while on a caloric surplus, and now I'm on a caloric deficit and feeling satiated every time I go to bed. I just ran 6 miles on the treadmill and had a 140 calorie protein shake and haven't eaten anything else in the past 4 hours and I'm good to go.

The only logical conclusion I can come to is that hormonally my body wants to shed fat, and its not driven by my manual restriction of calories.
  • Acg67
    Options

Stop making things up:

The vast majority of long-term studies show no difference between varied levels of carbs/fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20141567

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20679559

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15632335

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15148064

in addition to the above, earlier in the thread i posted links to metabolic ward studies showing no metabolic advantage to low carb/keto diets
  • katy898
    katy898 Posts: 12
    Options
    Ive been eating low carb for years now. I found that after I adjusted to to eating less carbs I had didn't feel hungry two hours after eating; I could last until the next meal without the urge to snack. Also I had energy for longer periods of time while exercising but a little bit of carbs helps (like two m&ms little) helped during the workout. Overall I feel better with less ups and downs in my mood, once I got over the initall one to two week barrier.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I choose low carb because if I eat rice in the afternoon for lunch, I get extreme food coma and it affects my productivity at work. =] That's about it, I think. I take carbs mainly for post-workout meal. It feels good to have carb in the system after a good gym time.
  • grinch031
    Options

in addition to the above, earlier in the thread i posted links to metabolic ward studies showing no metabolic advantage to low carb/keto diets

You can keep posting your studies all you want, but its not going to convince me. Just as Taubes debunked numerous studies saying that fat causes heart disease and high cholesterol among other diseases, perhaps your studies could also be debunked, and I'm not really not going to be the one to bother with it.

There are countless testimonies of people who have tried both calorie restricted diets and carb restricted diets and lost weight while eating more calories in the low-carb diet. I find it amazing that virtually nobody has to count calories anymore on a low-carb diet and still lose weight. Seldom do I hear of people gaining weight on a low carb diet, or if they do its only a small amount. My own experiences corroborate what others describe as well. Particularly the endurance athlete doc I posted about.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Acg67
    Options

You can keep posting your studies all you want, but its not going to convince me. Just as Taubes debunked numerous studies saying that fat causes heart disease and high cholesterol among other diseases, perhaps your studies could also be debunked, and I'm not really not going to be the one to bother with it.

There are countless testimonies of people who have tried both calorie restricted diets and carb restricted diets and lost weight while eating more calories in the low-carb diet. I find it amazing that virtually nobody has to count calories anymore on a low-carb diet and still lose weight. Seldom do I hear of people gaining weight on a low carb diet, or if they do its only a small amount. My own experiences corroborate what others describe as well. Particularly the endurance athlete doc I posted about.

I did post plausible explanations for what you say people eating greater amounts of cals but lower carbs and losing weight, and you sou seem to neglect the fact that all your anecdotal evidence lacks controls and has numerous confounders at play.
  • paintbynmbrs
    paintbynmbrs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the "all is possible". Good Luck to you.:happy:
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    You can keep posting your studies all you want, but its not going to convince me.

denial.jpg

Seldom do I hear of people gaining weight on a low carb diet

Your guru:
    GTaubes%20-%20Doughy.JPG
    gtaubes-doughy.jpeg?w=300&h=278
  • grinch031
    Options
    You can keep posting your studies all you want, but its not going to convince me.

denial.jpg

Seldom do I hear of people gaining weight on a low carb diet

Your guru:
    GTaubes%20-%20Doughy.JPG
    gtaubes-doughy.jpeg?w=300&h=278

neverming...pic won't show up.

So now remains the question, was Taubes also wrong about fat? Is fat really killing us?

Also what's your opinion on Wheat Belly? Here's a snippet from their site:
    –Triglyceride-containing lipoproteins, such as chylomicrons and its remnants, are toxic to pancreatic beta cells: lipotoxicity.
    –The gliadin protein of wheat stimulates appetite, causing the unwitting wheat consumer to eat, on average, 400 more calories per day, mostly from carbohydrates. 400 calories per day, 365 days per year . . . that’s a lot of extra calories, a lot of potential weight gain.
    –The lectins of wheat (wheat germ agglutinin) are inflammatory, generating inflammation in multiple sites, such as joints, intestinal tract, and endocrine glands. Higher levels of inflammation and its various mediators (tumor necrosis factor, the interleukins, etc.) worsen insulin resistance, worsening the vicious cycle.

Aside from insulin resistance resistance being ruled out, is this is also wrong?

Is the truth that the only reason people get fat on wheat is because its less satiating then protein, so they eat more? Even if that were the absolute truth, I think that is more than good reason to ditch wheat products, because we can live without carbs, but we can't live without fat.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    So now remains the question, was Taubes also wrong about fat? Is fat really killing us?

Debunking the lipid hypothesis was the only think Taubes got right.

Also what's your opinion on Wheat Belly?

He's a bigger idiot than Taubes. People that demonize wheat (or any individual food, for that matter) usually have a specific allergy or intolerance, then decide to generalize it to the rest of the population.

He doesn't even understand basic biochem:
    Triglyceride-containing lipoproteins, such as chylomicrons and its remnants, are toxic to pancreatic beta cells: lipotoxicity.

Chylomicrons are the circulating form of dietary fat and have nothing to do with carbohydrates.

Is the truth that the only reason people get fat on wheat is because its less satiating then protein, so they eat more? Even if that were the absolute truth, I think that is more than good reason to ditch wheat products, because we can live without carbs, but we can't live without fat.

Why not apply that logic to everything in your life that isn't absolutely essential for survival and you'll finally learn the difference between "essential" and "optimal".
  • BreezyLuv
    Options
    I've done low carb strictly because my whole family has done it and my mom has done it in the past on lost about 180lbs in 6 months and she looked amazing. I did it before and dropped weight pretty quick. I am on it now and haven't really noticed too much of a change in energy. I go to the gym every weekday and I have a trainer so he doesn't let me slack off. I actually think the gym needs to get harder so that I lose faster and tone quicker. Good Luck!
  • grinch031
    Options

Debunking the lipid hypothesis was the only think Taubes got right.

Also what's your opinion on Wheat Belly?

He's a bigger idiot than Taubes. People that demonize wheat (or any individual food, for that matter) usually have a specific allergy or intolerance, then decide to generalize it to the rest of the population.

He doesn't even understand basic biochem:
    Triglyceride-containing lipoproteins, such as chylomicrons and its remnants, are toxic to pancreatic beta cells: lipotoxicity.

Chylomicrons are the circulating form of dietary fat and have nothing to do with carbohydrates.

Why not apply that logic to everything in your life that isn't absolutely essential for survival and you'll finally learn the difference between "essential" and "optimal".

So is there a single book in existence that is actually scientifically correct in regards to weight loss and health? Is there any particular scientist/doctor/author that we should listen to?