Low Carb Eating

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I understand low carb isn't for everyone, but for me and my hubby it has been the answer to our prayers. He has so much more energy and can do so many more things now that he isn't sick all the time. JMHO.

Yeah what it boils down to is if you can't tolerate your food choices, then you aren't going to succeed.

I just think its funny how people say you are malnurished and clogging your arteries, yet anecdotally most low carb dieters feel better, more energized, and even have improved cholesterol numbers then before the diet.
  • grinch031
    Options

If you'd like like to point out where i've condemned low carb diets, please do so.

What is more helpful to people, falsely leading people to believe that you will lose fat faster on a low carb diet or informing them that there is no difference, keeping in mind that the more restrictive a diet is, the less adherence tends to be?

and i'm glad to see you read the studies, they totally were bogus

Take a look at this doctor's story. He worked out 3 hours a day on a high-carb diet of 3000 calories and was 20 lbs overweight with 20% body fat. Then he switched to a low-carb diet, consumes 4000 calories (33% more) and lost 25 lbs and is 7% body fat.

http://www.waroninsulin.com

My story is similar. Marathon runner who gained like 10 lbs every time I train for a race, and then starve myself remaining on a high-carb diet to lose the 10 lbs prior to training for the next race. This time I am going low-carb, one month into training (2 months of the diet) I am performing better, 15 lbs lighter, and I don't even have to think about calories.

So I'm already going to say I'm not going to argue research studies, because there are plenty of people with PhDs and MDs who have done that already. How do you explain why I can do the same exercise routine, but cutting out the carbs and suddenly I have control over my weight?

The advantage isn't just total calorie count per day increases on low carb (maybe it doesn't for everyone), but what does happen is the body can properly regulate a low-carb diet much better than it can a high-carb diet.

From the link
    My mission is to demonstrate that insulin — not calories — is at the heart of the most pervasive chronic diseases: obesity, heart disease, and even cancer. Suppressing the secretion of insulin is the key to running your body on your own fat, which leads not only to weight loss, but also to what I call “chronic health” and peak performance.

Too bad that is a load of garbage and has actually been studied, so the below study, the drug did indeed lower insulin levels there was no difference in weight loss, body fat or REE

Due A, et al. No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsulinaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-loss diet. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Jul 2007; 9 (4): 566-574.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17587399
    AIM:

Obesity is positively associated with hyperinsulinaemia, and it has been suggested that hyperinsulinaemia may contribute to maintain the obese state in insulin-resistant obese individuals. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in obese, normoglycaemic (fasting plasma glucose of > or =6.1 mmol/l), hyperinsulinaemic (fasting plasma insulin of > or =100 pmol/l) adults during a 2.5 MJ/day energy-deficient diet.

METHODS:

In an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel design, 35 overweight and obese subjects (age: 23-54 years, body mass index: 27-66 kg/m(2)) were randomized either to 2 mg/kg/day (maximum 200 mg/day) of oral diazoxide or to placebo. Body composition and resting energy expenditure (REE) were measured before and after the intervention. Blood samples, and appetite sensations by visual analogue scales, were collected during fasting, during an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and 4 h postprandially after a test meal. Subsequently, an ad libitum meal was given.

RESULTS:

Thirty-one subjects completed the protocol. Eight weeks of diazoxide decreased incremental area under the response curve (iAUC) for insulin (iAUC(insulin)) and for C-peptide (iAUC(C-peptide)) and increased iAUC for glucose (iAUC(glucose)) during the OGTT and the test meal compared with the use of placebo (p < 0.003). No differences in changes between the groups in body weight, body fat, REE or appetite were observed during the 8-week trial.

CONCLUSION:

These findings do not suggest that hyperinsulinaemia per se contributes to maintenance of the obese state, and insulin secretion inhibition seems not a promising drug target.

Don't care about this study. I've seen countless testimonies of people who can eat as much as they desire and don't gain weight on a low carb diet. And we're talking about people who have had weight problems their whole lives on a traditional western diet.

Based on your expertise, how can you justify this guy's increase from 3000 to 4300 calories a day on a low-carb diet, and then dropping from 20% body weight to 7%?

http://waroninsulin.com/how-i-lost-weight
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Push through it. It takes about a week to start to return to normal. Be careful...for me one big carb day will undo it all! Don't be surprised you get headaches like caffeine withdrawal. I do!
  • grinch031
    Options
    Push through it. It takes about a week to start to return to normal. Be careful...for me one big carb day will undo it all! Don't be surprised you get headaches like caffeine withdrawal. I do!

The only problem I have on a bad cheat day, is massive water weight because of inflated glycogen stores.

For instance New Year's eve was a free for all. And I started off pretty good...ate green veggies and dip, wings, skipped the pizza. But I was drinking beer all day and once it was dessert time, it was all over for me. Anyways after that weekend I was up 8 POUNDS on the scale. However after 3 days of low-carbing, I was back down to my initial weight. So I net gained NOTHING. Yet my wife who is on a traditional diet was up 3 lbs for the next week or so.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you'd like like to point out where i've condemned low carb diets, please do so.

What is more helpful to people, falsely leading people to believe that you will lose fat faster on a low carb diet or informing them that there is no difference, keeping in mind that the more restrictive a diet is, the less adherence tends to be?

and i'm glad to see you read the studies, they totally were bogus

Take a look at this doctor's story. He worked out 3 hours a day on a high-carb diet of 3000 calories and was 20 lbs overweight with 20% body fat. Then he switched to a low-carb diet, consumes 4000 calories (33% more) and lost 25 lbs and is 7% body fat.

http://www.waroninsulin.com

My story is similar. Marathon runner who gained like 10 lbs every time I train for a race, and then starve myself remaining on a high-carb diet to lose the 10 lbs prior to training for the next race. This time I am going low-carb, one month into training (2 months of the diet) I am performing better, 15 lbs lighter, and I don't even have to think about calories.

So I'm already going to say I'm not going to argue research studies, because there are plenty of people with PhDs and MDs who have done that already. How do you explain why I can do the same exercise routine, but cutting out the carbs and suddenly I have control over my weight?

The advantage isn't just total calorie count per day increases on low carb (maybe it doesn't for everyone), but what does happen is the body can properly regulate a low-carb diet much better than it can a high-carb diet.

From the link
    My mission is to demonstrate that insulin — not calories — is at the heart of the most pervasive chronic diseases: obesity, heart disease, and even cancer. Suppressing the secretion of insulin is the key to running your body on your own fat, which leads not only to weight loss, but also to what I call “chronic health” and peak performance.

Too bad that is a load of garbage and has actually been studied, so the below study, the drug did indeed lower insulin levels there was no difference in weight loss, body fat or REE

Due A, et al. No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsulinaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-loss diet. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Jul 2007; 9 (4): 566-574.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17587399
    AIM:

Obesity is positively associated with hyperinsulinaemia, and it has been suggested that hyperinsulinaemia may contribute to maintain the obese state in insulin-resistant obese individuals. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in obese, normoglycaemic (fasting plasma glucose of > or =6.1 mmol/l), hyperinsulinaemic (fasting plasma insulin of > or =100 pmol/l) adults during a 2.5 MJ/day energy-deficient diet.

METHODS:

In an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel design, 35 overweight and obese subjects (age: 23-54 years, body mass index: 27-66 kg/m(2)) were randomized either to 2 mg/kg/day (maximum 200 mg/day) of oral diazoxide or to placebo. Body composition and resting energy expenditure (REE) were measured before and after the intervention. Blood samples, and appetite sensations by visual analogue scales, were collected during fasting, during an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and 4 h postprandially after a test meal. Subsequently, an ad libitum meal was given.

RESULTS:

Thirty-one subjects completed the protocol. Eight weeks of diazoxide decreased incremental area under the response curve (iAUC) for insulin (iAUC(insulin)) and for C-peptide (iAUC(C-peptide)) and increased iAUC for glucose (iAUC(glucose)) during the OGTT and the test meal compared with the use of placebo (p < 0.003). No differences in changes between the groups in body weight, body fat, REE or appetite were observed during the 8-week trial.

CONCLUSION:

These findings do not suggest that hyperinsulinaemia per se contributes to maintenance of the obese state, and insulin secretion inhibition seems not a promising drug target.

Don't care about this study. I've seen countless testimonies of people who can eat as much as they desire and don't gain weight on a low carb diet. And we're talking about people who have had weight problems their whole lives on a traditional western diet.

Based on your expertise, how can you justify this guy's increase from 3000 to 4300 calories a day on a low-carb diet, and then dropping from 20% body weight to 7%?

http://waroninsulin.com/how-i-lost-weight

So who cares about controlled studies that destroy the guys entire hypothesis, instead let's concentrate on a N=1 uncontrolled situation?

Anyways, he doesn't detail how he was keeping track of his macros, so he could have been underestimating intake and then over estimating when he went keto, it could have been a spontaneous increase in NEAT due to a higher energy intake, it could have been he had a slight intolerance/metabolic disorder that cho aggravated, regardless we're still talking N=1 and i've yet to see any evidence that people can eat in a caloric surplus and lose weight while doing keto
  • grinch031
    Options

So who cares about controlled studies that destroy the guys entire hypothesis, instead let's concentrate on a N=1 uncontrolled situation?

Anyways, he doesn't detail how he was keeping track of his macros, so he could have been underestimating intake and then over estimating when he went keto, it could have been a spontaneous increase in NEAT due to a higher energy intake, it could have been he had a slight intolerance/metabolic disorder that cho aggravated, regardless we're still talking N=1 and i've yet to see any evidence that people can eat in a caloric surplus and lose weight while doing keto

By definition its not a surplus. His body has changed its caloric needs and his diet accounted for that change by increasing the intake.

I'm not qualified to refute your study, plus it doesn't mention dietary fat intake at all. And last I checked, insulin allows dietary fat to be stored. So I'm not drawing any conclusions from the study.

If insulin doesn't cause me to binge on sugar, pizza, and pasta, then what does? My calorie intake dropped from 3500 to about 2500 simply by changing to a higher fat, higher protein diet. Something has to explain that other than willpower, because I have no willpower when it comes to calorie restriction.
  • Acg67
    Options

I'm not qualified to refute your study, plus it doesn't mention dietary fat intake at all. And last I checked, insulin allows dietary fat to be stored. So I'm not drawing any conclusions from the study.

If insulin doesn't cause me to binge on sugar, pizza, and pasta, then what does? My calorie intake dropped from 3500 to about 2500 simply by changing to a higher fat, higher protein diet. Something has to explain that other than willpower, because I have no willpower when it comes to calorie restriction.

ASP can also lead to fat being stored without the presence of insulin, fat intake stimulates ASP. Also protein is insulinogenic as well, so if one wanted to control/suppress insulin, they should cut down on cho and protein, yet you rarely see recommendations to severely limit protein intake.

The study i posted used a drug to suppress insulin in the test group, according to the link you posted that is the key to weight loss, yet there was no difference in weight loss between the placebo group and the group that got the drug that suppressed insulin

As for you, people generally find protein more satiating then cho, fatty foods it's a mixed bag, i've seen studies showing fat is not as satiating as people make it out to be
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options

By definition its not a surplus. His body has changed its caloric needs and his diet accounted for that change by increasing the intake.

Ghrelin causes you to be hungry and binge on sugar, pizza, and pasta. Not insulin.
  • grinch031
    Options

ASP can also lead to fat being stored without the presence of insulin, fat intake stimulates ASP. Also protein is insulinogenic as well, so if one wanted to control/suppress insulin, they should cut down on cho and protein, yet you rarely see recommendations to severely limit protein instake.

The study i posted used a drug to suppress insulin in the test group, according to the link you posted that is the key to weight loss, yet there was no difference in weight loss between the placebo group and the group that got the drug that suppressed insulin

As for you, people generally find protein more satiating then cho, fatty foods it's a mixed bag, i've seen studies showing fat is not as satiating as people make it out to be

The impact of protein on insulin via gluconeogenesis is insignificant compared to the impact by carbs. Hardly 50% of protein can get converted to glucose, and its only done when absolutely necessary because blood sugar levels are too low.
  • grinch031
    Options

Ghrelin causes you to be hungry and binge on sugar, pizza, and pasta. Not insulin.

If insulin has no effect on this, what triggered the change in ghrelin levels such that I was less hungry after switching to a low carb diet?
  • Acg67
    Options

ASP can also lead to fat being stored without the presence of insulin, fat intake stimulates ASP. Also protein is insulinogenic as well, so if one wanted to control/suppress insulin, they should cut down on cho and protein, yet you rarely see recommendations to severely limit protein instake.

The impact of protein on insulin via gluconeogenesis is insignificant compared to the impact by carbs. Hardly 50% of protein can get converted to glucose, and its only done when absolutely necessary because blood sugar levels are too low.

Look at table 4 and pay attention to the protein rich foods and their insulin AUC. Compare beef and fish to lets say pasta

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
  • grinch031
    Options

Look at table 4 and pay attention to the protein rich foods and their insulin AUC. Compare beef and fish to lets say pasta

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf

Well if what you say is true and insulin has no affect on hunger, calorie consumption, or the ability to lose weight, then what may I ask is the reason people get fat, and what is the best way to reverse it?
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Oh, nevermind. Ha.
  • grinch031
    Options
    You're going to have a very hard time doing any long and/or hard workouts without sufficient carbs. Carbs are quick release fuel and help increase your endurance for harder and longer workouts. Try eating your carbs in the meal or snack before your workout, or during your workout, this will help. Otherwise, you may need to try increasing your carbs just a bit so you have sufficient reserves for workouts. I'm a cycling coach for endurance athletes, so this comes from a lot of experience with folks doing workouts that are harder and longer than the average 30 minute basic workout. For low activity, a low carb diet may not cause much impact on your workouts. Once you go above 30 minutes to an hour or above a low to moderate intensity, you will definitely bonk if you don't have carbs for extra fuel. Those carbs are quick release energy that you need to keep moving.

No way this is true. Carbs are not necessary for any aerobic activity whatsoever. They are only useful for peak anaerobic performance such as sprinting, powerlifting. I have been training for a marathon for the past month eating maybe 20g to 50g of carbs, so far running distances of 6, 7, 8, 10 miles and have not bonked at all. I go at about 80% intensity (7:30-8:00min/mile) every time. My performance is better than it was over the past 4 years on a high-carb western diet. That could also be because I'm 15 pounds lighter, but still I have not suffered at all on this diet. Not only that, but I have gotten stronger in the weights at the same time.

Oh and back when I was a sugar burner who hate probably 70% carbs, I used to bonk all the time if I didn't carb load the night before every long run. Heck I was pretty much a chronic carb-loader back then.

Here is a doctor who has been tracking his transition from a western diet to a low-carb diet. He measured his breathing to demonstrate how is keto-adapted diet has benefited his athletic performance. The only thing that decreased slightly was his VO2 max, which is completely irrelevant for long distance running.

http://waroninsulin.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    generally, i think its best to listen to someone when they offer dieting advice and have a midsection like that.
    He isn't trying to hurt you, and clearly, what he does works. If someones in better shape then you listen to them, they might have something to offer........
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Well if what you say is true and insulin has no affect on hunger, calorie consumption, or the ability to lose weight, then what may I ask is the reason people get fat,

They consume more calories than they expend.

and what is the best way to reverse it?

Consume fewer calories than you expend.
  • grinch031
    Options

They consume more calories than they expend.

Consume fewer calories than you expend.

Why do they consume more than they expend? What is wrong with them? How do you consume fewer calories than you expend without being hungry all the time?
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i am always hungry, losing weight is effectively not eating enough, so your body reverts to eating itself . . . . . you should be hungry
  • grinch031
    Options
    i am always hungry, losing weight is effectively not eating enough, so your body reverts to eating itself . . . . . you should be hungry

So why do most people gain weight once they hit their goal weight? If its so simple, why do most people fail at doing it?

How come I can run on a treadmill bored out of my mind for 10-12 miles and even though I think about quitting midway through the run I never do, yet when it comes to simply avoiding a slice of pizza at 10pm when I'm watching TV, I completely lack the willpower? Is there something more to it than that?
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options