Olive Oil Warning

Options

Replies

• just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    So what do you use rather than canola oil or veg oil to cook with? I can't find coconut oil at my local grocery store ??

You can get coconut oil at health food stores or buy it from Amazon.com or Tropical Traditions. I use both
    Tropical Traditions and Nutiva.

thank you! Didn't think to look online. I live in a small town so health food stores are not here There is one in a town or so over but doesn't seem to be managed well or stocked well either. Again thanks.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You guys can all solve your olive oil issues by buying Great Value 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is just that, 100% olive oil. And best of all, its priced pretty cheap! Its all we use, and I love it.

LOL - have a look at the website I posted - 1 in 3 samples of Great Value was not actually EXTRA Virgin (even though it said it was) - but just Virgin..... I must say Great Value did do a lot better than some other brands. they tested.....

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/786/Is_Your_Olive_Oil_Extra_Virgin.aspx
  • rodneypierce
    rodneypierce Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You guys can all solve your olive oil issues by buying Great Value 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It is just that, 100% olive oil. And best of all, its priced pretty cheap! Its all we use, and I love it.

LOL - have a look at the website I posted - 1 in 3 samples of Great Value was not actually EXTRA Virgin (even though it said it was) - but just Virgin..... I must say Great Value did do a lot better than some other brands. they tested.....

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/786/Is_Your_Olive_Oil_Extra_Virgin.aspx

Yes, I looked at that, and 1 other place, both had 2 out of 3 passed. Thats a pretty good ratio, and if im not mistaken, virgin olive oil is still pure olive oil is it not? And yes, there were alot of others that didnt even come close......
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not all. Evoo. Is. "cold" pressed...It is. The First press
    Less chemical,Less Heat,...more(raw )...Most Flavor,and Most
    Nutrients.A step further,more raw,..ISSTONE Pressed.
    Grapeseed oil,is also a staple of mine,for Rare high heat
    Also flavorful on salads.:flowerforyou:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

And talking of the plant being "bred", which means it is a GMO that is another big NO, NO on my list as it should be for everyone.

Just because a plant is "bred" does not mean it is a GMO. A golden retriever bred with a German shepherd dog results in a dog that is a cross. This does not mean it was genetically modified.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't know if i will ever be able to eat again!!!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

And buy it at Walmart? Because why? You hate America, fair wages, and unions?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    If you are going to look up any type of articles look for.......org...........gov........edu these sites are reliable, some are peer reviewed on the other site such as .com are not checked for correctness

I do not trust any articles coming from sites that especially end .org or .gov. .edu sites are iffy - depending on whether or not the university is government funded on their studies they conduct.

The government is not to be trusted.

You all realize that the FDA is headed by a former Monsanto executive..............
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I'm off to check mine how dare they tamper with my olive oil... well I never!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Thats nothing!! Have you looked to see if vegetable oil actually contains vegetable oil recently? 95% of it is actually Rapeseed Oil wich is bad for us and the environment! I wont buy the stuff at all and since when is a sickly yellow flower a vegetable?

Before anyone pipes up and says that Rapeseed Oil is good for you I will leave you to your oplion but hundreds of horses die each year due to breathing problems caused by Oil Seed Rape nearby and many more people develop alergies because of Oil Seed Rape. This is not a scientific fact or anything just something I know from living where I do and knowing people who own or look after horses

I thought rapeseed oil was the same as canola oil? which was originally used as machinery grease before it was genetically bred to taste sweet and be moderately edible?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Thats nothing!! Have you looked to see if vegetable oil actually contains vegetable oil recently? 95% of it is actually Rapeseed Oil wich is bad for us and the environment! I wont buy the stuff at all and since when is a sickly yellow flower a vegetable?

Before anyone pipes up and says that Rapeseed Oil is good for you I will leave you to your oplion but hundreds of horses die each year due to breathing problems caused by Oil Seed Rape nearby and many more people develop alergies because of Oil Seed Rape. This is not a scientific fact or anything just something I know from living where I do and knowing people who own or look after horses

I thought rapeseed oil was the same as canola oil? which was originally used as machinery grease before it was genetically bred to taste sweet and be moderately edible?

Yes, you are right.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your message. I have both... I bought a less expensive bottle to marinate with and the real EVOO to cook with, but I thought they both were real EVOO.

The less expensive one was mostly canola, with a touch of olive oil.

Great Info! You've helped me, if no one else.

All the best!
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    I always buy colavita also , and I really like it.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ...i am just relieved that this is not a thread about remembering to count olive oil calories when cooking...
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Rapeseed Oil is canola oil.

I don't touch ANY vegetable oils at all due to the PUFA (Polyunsaturated fats) content . No canola, vegetables, corn oil and definitely not soy either.

I consume some nut and seed oils, olive oil and the rest of the fats I consume are all saturated fats in the form of raw butter, coconut oil and filtered bacon drippings (only if its clear, if it turns brown it is discarded because it got to a smoking point which ruins it).

I don't do canola because it's a GMO. It's supposedly heart healthy and all that stuff, but I wouldn't use it. I stick to EVOO, organic from Trader Joe's, coconut oil or avocado oil.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you are going to look up any type of articles look for.......org...........gov........edu these sites are reliable, some are peer reviewed on the other site such as .com are not checked for correctness

I do not trust any articles coming from sites that especially end .org or .gov. .edu sites are iffy - depending on whether or not the university is government funded on their studies they conduct.

The government is not to be trusted.

You all realize that the FDA is headed by a former Monsanto executive..............

This :) I find I have to read many many sources before I come to my own logical conclusion.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised by this myself, being that I am an avid EVOO lover. But I was watching a documentary the other day, and they were talking about how many companies sell olive oil that isn't olive oil at all, in fact it's mostly canola oil. I just figured it was a crock, but when I pulled out my own bottle that I had bought at Ralphs market, the ingredients read both olive oil and canola oil, but it was being advertised as olive oil. One of the factors that really gave it away is that real olive oil is not "cold pressed" which was also on the bottle in my pantry. There's also a noticeable difference in smell, the fake stuff smells a bit corny, whereas the real stuff smells fresh and a bit fruity. Just thought I'd let everyone know!

yea, most fakes smell a bit phony:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thanks for the tips! I ALWAYS buy ORGANICS ONLY:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less to read all the responses...

Olive oil is delicious!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Mine is 100% pure imported olive oil Thank Goodness! Otherwise I would be so outraged!