Can stopping drinking diet soda help me lose weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda = Bad for you
    Regular Soda = Bad for you
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I still drink diet soda, but this video really made sense to me, and just keeping it in mind has helped me cut back. It is a good argument for moderation in all things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't think cutting it will make you lose weight exactly but diet soda has a lot of sodium in it which will make you feel bloated and so it's possible if that's the only source of your bloating and you cut it, it will appear you are losing more weight. Also, studies have shown diet sodas cause you to eat more sugar (making you crave it) which obviously will make you gain weight, but I just don't eat that much sweets. I don't think I could ever completely give up soda. I've tried to cut down and/or drink the same amount of water as I do soda to hopefully try to combat some of that extra sodium.

Another myth! Diet soda does not have a lot of sodium in it. A 20 ounce bottle only has 70 mg.
  • strongwilled
    Options
    i believe drinking the diet soda is not doing anything not even gaining or losing weigh or bad or good for you.... it is like neutral..... if it is bad for you then why would the doctor suggests my friend who have a diabetic to drink diet soda or crystal light if necessary in place of regular soda.... diet sodas are like neutral as long as you drink lot of water then it is ok
  • EDGEO11
    Options
    Soda it's bad doesn't matter if it's diet or ) calories. It has the number 1 enemy "sugar". Our body needs sugar but the good sugar found in natural sources such as fruits and vegetables.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bump. Want to come back when I have time to really absorb this. I need to quit diet coke.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Soda it's bad doesn't matter if it's diet or ) calories. It has the number 1 enemy "sugar". Our body needs sugar but the good sugar found in natural sources such as fruits and vegetables.

There's no sugar in diet soda.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fake sugars have a better chance of being deposited to your middle and changed into fat than say table sugar or pure cane sugar.
  • EDGEO11
    Options
    they use substitute sugars! they use different names some weird ones High fructose corn syrup is the worse and most common use now on almost everything!
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking Diet Cherry Cola by Big K right now and it only has 20 mg of sodium, no carbs, sugars, or protein(obviously) and this is all of the ingredients: carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural and artificial flavor, and caffeine.

Not bad, I think.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    because soda or diet soda is still just plain bad for you!!! there is nothing nutritional in soda. Diet soda still has artificial sugars and other potentially harmful chemicals for your body. Drink water and tea!
  • alenakelly
    Options
    all i drink is deit pepsi and Im losing weight fine....

But I did see on dr.Oz that the artificial sugar in diet drinks is what makes you crave more sweets. so if we quit diet drinks we could crave sugar less
  • dayylight
    Options
    I don't have any scientific explanation for why but it definitely did help me. I still drink the occasional diet soda but for the most part I avoid them (I used to drink like a can a day). It may be because soda is bad or it might just be because I upped my water intake to replace it. Personally, I think you should try weaning yourself off and go a few weeks without it and see if you lose more weight than you have in previous weeks.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion on the matter is that soda is seen as "bad" no matter whether diet or regular. The people who quit drinking soda are psychologically cutting a "bad" thing from their diet. This then leads to cutting another "bad" thing and making better food choices until they are losing weight and eating healthy. I personally do not drink soda because it hurts my stomach, but I don't judge. If the person is eating healthy and making good choices to lose weight, I don't see how soda will propel the process.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok so someone told me that if I quit drinking diet soda I'll lose more weight. Why is that? Is it true? Why is it "diet" then if that is the case? I'm kind of confused and feel kind of dumb for asking but I'm like the cat I have tons of curiosity lol

Test your own system.

After you have had lunch, and you have digested it, and any sugar spike or lower energy you normally get has subsided, have your normal amount of diet soda.

If you feel a decrease in energy, or mind gets foggy, your body, like others, may have prepared itself for potential sugar because of eating something sweet, and released the insulin. Which would have then lowered the normal blood sugar causing the symptoms. Also puts the body into fat storage mode, so while at rest fat normally would have been main energy source, you just stopped that.

If you did get the effects, you could probably drink it with a meal with no problem.

If you did not get any effect - drink away if the sugar substitute part doesn't bother you.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to a dr. they always ask how many sodas I drink a day. I tell them 2-3, but it's diet. They ALL say "oh you shouldn't do that" etc. etc. Every time, I ask for a real evidence-based explanation for why I should not drink it. Not a single one has been able to come up with anything that's been proven. They all just kind of say, "umm, well, umm...I just don't think we know how it affects the body yet" or "I just don't like it" etc.

I actually tried to experiment for myself a couple of years ago- figuring I couldn't knock the theory until I'd tried it. I quit drinking diet soda cold turkey and didn't drink any soda at all for 3 months. I GAINED weight. I attribute this to the fact that diet soda is a "treat" for me- when I could no longer have my 0 calorie treat, I reached for something else, likely with real sugar. I've never been a huge fan of sweets, but when I stopped drinking the soda, I was eating them nonstop because they tasted better with water. As soon as I went back to drinking my diet soda, I went back right to cutting way down on the sweets without even trying. My mom had the same thing happen to her. She's now lost 100 pounds, kept it off, and drinks 2-3 diet sodas a day.

I do have to make a conscience effort to drink water too- I drink a soda with lunch and dinner and occasionally with a night time snack (if I can fit a snack into my daily goals) but any other time I want to drink something I have water. I try to drink at least two 32oz bottles a day.

Ultimately, you know your body. If you want to, try skipping out on the diet soda for awhile and see how you feel.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Ok so someone told me that if I quit drinking diet soda I'll lose more weight. Why is that? Is it true? Why is it "diet" then if that is the case? I'm kind of confused and feel kind of dumb for asking but I'm like the cat I have tons of curiosity lol
    If someone told you could jump off a bridge and live, would you believe them? I mean.. 0 calories is welll, 0 calories last time I checked.

Shes not believing that person she is inquiring information ... likely because she doesnt believe them...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If someone told you could jump off a bridge and live, would you believe them? I mean.. 0 calories is welll, 0 calories last time I checked.

Rather rude response. We're here for support and understanding, not FaceBook type juvenile snideness. Rolling on the floor and laughing to yourself over what you believe are stupid questions probably burns more calories than sitting down and typing unhelpful responses.

I heard being overly sensitive to posts burns even more calories
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Didn't everyone read how soda disintegrated a mouse carcus on yahoo last week.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I like to pound a diet soda after a hard workout. It's a negative calorie drink:wink::wink: