Can stopping drinking diet soda help me lose weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How do you define "unnatural?" Because all the ingredients in diet soda are created from "natural" things. Potassium is natural, sodium is natural, carbonated water is natural, aspartic acid is natural (your body makes it constantly,) and phenylalanine is also natural (your body makes that, also.) So what exactly is so unnatural about it? That it's mixed together?
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I only know, diet soda/soda makes me feel thristy.. and in part hungry. Perhaps the diet soda it'self isn't making you fat or lose weight, but eating and drinking more because of it.... imo
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    because soda or diet soda is still just plain bad for you!!! there is nothing nutritional in soda. Diet soda still has artificial sugars and other potentially harmful chemicals for your body. Drink water and tea!

This...anything unnatural isn't good.
    Protein powders aren't natural............neither are man made vitamins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't really need to prove anything to anyone here, at the end most in this website don't have a clue about what's good or bad for you whether is in terms of losing weight or health in general. There are those who apparently might have knowledge about fitness and nutrition and yet they surprise me with the things they say to others here. If any of you decide to drink whatever you want to drink, it is your own life, your own problem, your own body but if asked for opinion, they will get it whether they agree with it or not.

To anyone who tells me that products like soda, or in this case diet soda, which are far from being NATURAL, are good and healthy, it kind of makes me not even bother with an answer. It is not my fault people can't really make good use of the internet to do a real research and not just read any article that pops up on Google search.

With that said, if any of you want to know if the following is true or not, I suggest you to look it up on your own, I'm not going to do it for you. There are plenty of books, magazines and internet articles that talk about this. Just be aware that the same way companies who want to affect the business of corporations like Coca Cola, this corporations have their own "doctors" and "scientists" to prove wrong this researchers.

Soda, whether diet or regular contains among other ingredients.

PHOSPHORIC ACID (H3PO4) which can be used for different things such as rust removal. Of course, the grade used in food is different, but it is still the same chemical. Phosphoric Acid is linked to affect and lower bone density. Studies done including the use of X-ray showed that in both women and men the bone density diminished (low bone density is a symptom of Osteoporosis). Also, Phosphoric Acid binds to calcium and other minerals in the digestive tract can form salts that are not absorbed by the body. Other studies state that Phosphoric Acid is also associated with kidney stones.

Inhalation effects - Bronchiolar fibrosis of the respiratory tract in rats. Also, rats that were exposed to 150-160 mg/m3 elemental phosphorus for 30 minutes/day for 60 days were examined for toxic effects (Inuzuka, 1956). Limb bone abnormalities were noted and effects included delayed ossification, widening of the epiphysis, and abnormal axial development.

POTASSIUM BENZOATE (E212) AND SODIUM BENZOATE (NaC6H5CO2) both used as preservative and antibacterial. When both are combined with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) they form BENZENE (C6H6) a natural constituent of crude oil, colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell. It is mainly used as a precursor to heavy chemicals. Benzene causes cancer and other illnesses. Benzene is a "notorious cause" of bone marrow failure. "Vast quantities of epidemiologic, clinical, and laboratory data" link benzene to aplastic anemia, acute leukemia, and bone marrow abnormalities.

CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA
    Used to avoid the formation of BENZENE. Calcium Disodium EDTA is used in chelation therapy*. Side effects of chelation therapy include malabsorption or low levels of various vitamins, including vitamin C and the various B vitamins. Other side effects include allergic reactions; dangerously low blood sugar, blood pressure, or blood calcium levels; kidney failure and seizures. According to the FDA, 11 patients died from calcium disodium EDTA use between 1971 and 2007.

*Chelation therapy is the administration of chelating agents to remove heavy metals from the body for the most common forms of heavy metal intoxication involving lead, arsenic or mercury

ARTIFICIAL COLORING. Artificial says a lot about how "AWESOME" it is for our bodies, but in any case caramel coloring which is added to soda drinks to give them that dark brown color is not itself a carcinogen but it is often made using ammonia. According to a 2010 study from the Center for Science in the Public Interest, caramel coloring made with ammonia causes cancer in rats and mice. True humans are not rats or mice related, but personally I wouldn't want that in my body.

ninerbuff, weight is not the only issue when it comes about food. So much for the nutrition studies.

andrejjorje, although I said it at the beginning of my reply I have nothing to prove to anyone, let me explain something which is a simple rule, natural doesn't always mean healthy. Crude oil is natural, and you wouldn't eat it because is going to kill you, but it just takes a little bit of sense to analyze that not only corporations like Coca Cola, Pepsi among others will look for ways to make their products sound "safe", but when I start seeing chemistry experiments just to make something drinkable, it makes me question why would I want to put something like that in my body, and make my liver work hard to avoid all those toxins spread thru my body.

If anyone base their trust in the FDA approval of safety, not too long ago I watched a documentary about how FDA requires two successful tests in order to approve a medication, even if 98 tests weren't successful. If this is true or not, I don't know, but knowing how this government works when it comes about the influence lobbyists have on it and its agencies, I honestly don't trust them at all, but that's just me.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    because soda or diet soda is still just plain bad for you!!! there is nothing nutritional in soda. Diet soda still has artificial sugars and other potentially harmful chemicals for your body. Drink water and tea!

This...anything unnatural isn't good.
    Protein powders aren't natural............neither are man made vitamins.

IDEA Fitness member

Dude, are you really going this way? Are you going to compare a damn diet soda with protein powder or vitamins?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Dude, are you really going this way? Are you going to compare a damn diet soda with protein powder or vitamins?
    Calling out the statement. If ANYTHING "unnatural" is bad for you, then you can't pick and choose the "unnatural" products that happen to be good for health. It was a blanket statement that was challenged and debunked.
    And here's the comparison between diet soda and protein powders and vitamins.........you can have all of them in your diet, lose weight effectively, and still have good health. People that say that diet soda is poison, bad for you, etc. need to come up with actual peer reviewed clinical studies to prove it or they are just yapping misinformation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Calling out the statement. If ANYTHING "unnatural" is bad for you, then you can't pick and choose the "unnatural" products that happen to be good for health. It was a blanket statement that was challenged and debunked.
    And here's the comparison between diet soda and protein powders and vitamins.........you can have all of them in your diet, lose weight effectively, and still have good health. People that say that diet soda is poison, bad for you, etc. need to come up with actual peer reviewed clinical studies to prove it or they are just yapping misinformation.

IDEA Fitness member

Read my other post above the one you just reply. And once again I say, for you to be someone who's into fitness for so long and claim to have study nutrition, the way you talk about diet soda doesn't really tell me you know much about what's good or bad for a person. Sorry, just my own personal opinion and not trying to attack you or anything like that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    First of all, I don't really need to prove anything to anyone here
    That's why anecdotal evidence isn't accepted as evidence. :laugh: Tell you what, when the Mayo Clinic, The Cancer Institute and other Journals of Medicine emphatically agree with the "articles, blogs, and opinions" of others that haven't done actual clinical studies themselves, then I'll change my stance. Till then, I'll believe that drinking diet soda isn't any more harmful than having a McDonald's cheeseburger occasionally.

IDEA Fitness member
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I'll believe that drinking diet soda isn't any more harmful than having a McDonald's cheeseburger occasionally.

:bigsmile: I rest my case!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Read my other post above the one you just reply. And once again I say, for you to be someone who's into fitness for so long and claim to have study nutrition, the way you talk about diet soda doesn't really tell me you know much about what's good or bad for a person. Sorry, just my own personal opinion and not trying to attack you or anything like that.
    Lol, really? Kinda sounds like an attack when you say that I don't know much about what's good or bad. Like many "health police" followers, you're brainwashed into thinking that anything that is processed or man made is obviously not fit for consumption.
    Like I stated above, I've done my research. I cater to Journals of Medicine and not blogs, or googling internet information that sounds good.
    I'm not saying that diet soda is HEALTHY. I'm saying that diet soda isn't as bad as some here try to make it out to be. And the medical journals that have done the studies are where I take this information from.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll believe that drinking diet soda isn't any more harmful than having a McDonald's cheeseburger occasionally.

Ooh boy and now cheeseburgers are evil........................lol. Tell that to people like Michael Phelps or Dara Torres.(Yes they eat a lot of junk food). Have fun eating foods that are only healthy. I get to eat junk (occasionally) and still be healthy. Yep my yearly physicals prove it. Your case was appealed and disproved by science.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • YassSpartan
    Options

Ooh boy and now cheeseburgers are evil........................lol. Tell that to people like Michael Phelps or Dara Torres.(Yes they eat a lot of junk food). Have fun eating foods that are only healthy. I get to eat junk (occasionally) and still be healthy. Yep my yearly physicals prove it. Your case was appealed and disproved by science.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Sureeeeeeeeeee :bigsmile:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy diet soda drinker. On a personal level, I just decided to replace it with water. Not for any scientic reasons just because it seemed a better option. Now dont get me wrong. I start my day with usually a diet cherry 7up and then switch to water. And once I get my water in for the day, I have another soda at night, usually with a nightime snack like popcorn. I'm still losing weight. I doubt I will ever totally give up diet soda. I'm not an expert by any means so I do what feels good for me as I long as I am still losing.
  • YassSpartan
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

ninerbuff

donald.jpg
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'm entirely a vegetarian, but even prior to that and even if I wasn't, McDonalds is a lot worse than any diet soda.. McDonalds even started posting signs with warning saying their food increases risks of cancer. Some states require they let people know. I think they are one of the worst companies for food, but then again people don't want to know. Just like people don't realize some of our meat is cloned since the FDA released statements and said it was legal as of like 2008 in the U.S. I definitely eat junk food though so I'm not saying to stop, just to be careful if someone wants to truly be healthy because you'd be surprised what is in our food in recent years. I will even sit down to a whole pizza sometimes if I feel like it, but then again that is just me. I plan to enjoy my life and still lose the weight I want. It works for me. :]
  • PurpleTomato85
    Options
    "In the first study, researchers collected height, weight, waist circumference and diet soda intake data from 474 elderly people who participated in the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging. They were followed up an average of 9.5 years later, according to the research.Researchers found that the diet soda drinkers had waist circumference increases of 70 percent greater than those who non-diet soda drinkers"

Many things contribute to an increase in waist circumstances. This study would be a difficult one indeed. To make it more reliable they would have had to reduce as much variables for example daily activity and daily food intake. I'm not sure I trust this article or the study performed.
  • TriciaLB
    Options
    I lost weight by switching from regular soda to diet soda. I think the main concern is that you'll crave the sugar and make up for it by eating other sugary foods - if you don't do that, you should be fine. Technically, a calorie-free food can't make you gain weight. However, the sodium can make you retain water and the artificial sweeteners are bad for your liver. So the more you can cut down on it, the better.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sureeeeeeeeeee :bigsmile:
    Yep. Let me guess.......................Shakeology should be what I drink.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

ninerbuff

donald.jpg
    I own the Donald when it comes to hair.

IDEA Fitness member