What is the BEST milk replacement

Options
akb2006
akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
Nutritionally/Health speaking & taste speaking what is the best milk replacement out there? We drink mainly 2 percent (I used to drink skim but the kids drink 2%). I've been having stomach issues lately after eating dairy so am looking for other options.

Replies

• GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I really like So Delicious Coconut Milk - Original. It's tasty and is a bit smoother tasting than almond, rice, or hemp milk (to me). You can also get it in unsweetened or vanilla.

http://www.turtlemountain.com/
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i like plain soy milk
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I use Vanilla or Chocolate for drinking and unsweetened for smoothies and cooking.
  • missalicia78
    Options
    I drink both since I only like cow's milk in my coffee, so I buy Grass Point Farms for coffee and I LOVE Silk Original Coconut Milk for everything else. It tastes great in smoothies, in oatmeal, on cereal, etc. But I've tried all of the "alternative" milks and don't mind the taste of any of them with the exception of hemp milk. While its *really* good for you, in my opinion it doesn't have the best taste and is relatively expensive.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    chocolate oat milk!!! Love it!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use soya milk on porridge, in coffee or for baking. I prefer rice or almond milk on cereal though.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Vanilla/Chocolate Soy Milk.. or Organic Milk.

For some odd reason, Organic Milk does not affect my stomach as much as normal milk does.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond. It's creamy and has a good flavor!
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Its hard to really judge based on others. Everyone told me 'Soy milk! Drink it!' and when I did, it wasn't very good (IMO). :P

I drink Vanilla Rice Milk; mainly because my boyfriend has a milk intolerance and I don't feel like buying multiple milks. :P But it's okay.

The main thing that got me to the point of drinking it regularly is thinking, "This is NOT milk. It shouldn't taste exactly like milk." Many times people assume its just going to taste like milk.

My advice is to try them all! :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I prefer Almond milk. I buy the unsweetened regular to use for my protein shakes. If I had to buy it for drinking plain, I'd probably opt for the vanilla flavored one. I despise the taste of soy milk and wasn't impressed by the taste of coconut milk.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk for smoothies, cereal, etc. plain unsweetened almond milk for cooking. I'm getting into making oat milk at home, though, so my favorite may change soon. :)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, milk is such a fabulous food so it's hard to compete. If you have an intolerance though, as you say, next would be fortified soy drink but in my opinion it tastes really bad - I think you can get used to it though. Rice and almond milk are much lower in protein. They may meet the functional needs you have ie you won't feel like you have to have dry cereal, but nutritionally they aren't even close. If the problem is lactose intolerance then you could also try lactose free milk or enzyme replacement supplements e.g. lactaid to be taken with the milk (although people don't seem to like these, can't off the top of my head remember why).
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Unsweated almond milk, it even has more calcium than regular milk
  • fond
    fond Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Soy milk (I use the vanila flavor) has vitamin b12 as well as other health benefits and it tastes good.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try Lact-aid milk which sometimes takes care of the dairy intolerance thing. Watch the protein amounts in all the alternative milks, I like soy and almond milk, but they have less and almost no protein in them, respectively, compared to regular milk.
  • bakrgirl74
    Options
    I don't like to drink milk, but I use either coconut milk or almond milk for my protein shakes.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk is what I use.
    Less salt and fat.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I vote for vanilla almond milk.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I like unflavored almond milk the best. I've never been a milk drinker, but I use it on cereal and smoothies. For cooking, I usually use coconut milk. As others have pointed out, alternative milks are low in protein, but for many Americans who consume meat, protein intake is adequate without dairy.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is good AND you can make it yourself. It's very simple to do....