What is the BEST milk replacement

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I prefer the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Just 40 calories per cup, and twice the calcium of 2% cow milk.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I like Almond milk the best. The carton in my fridge says it has 50% calcium than cow's milk... good or bad IDK. Still...I haven't drank cow's milk in ages and use only a little in cooking and baking. I eat cheese but not mass amounts, so I feel the extra calcium does me good. I do not take supplements.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink cow's milk, for whatever reason, there are quite a few alternatives. I've tried several of them when I was trying to eliminate dairy from my diet, and none of them were quite what I was hoping for, but...

Soy milk: Too much soy isn't good for anyone. I stay away from soy as much as possible. Plus it tends to taste bitter to me.

Almond milk: It was OK. It tasted like drinking almonds, though.

Rice milk: My standard go to. I liked rice milk for whatever reason the best.

Coconut milk: Another standard go to. Coconut milk ties right up there with rice milk.

Why are you cutting milk? I'm just curious. Some people cut it because it's too many carbs, too much sodium, etc. I personally have found nothing wrong with milk so I kept drinking it after it was determined dairy doesn't affect the pain levels associated with my condition. :)

(ETA: Nevermind about the reason. I guess I should read more! If you don't like Lactaid [I never did], I would recommend buying a container of one and giving it a try. Everyone has their own preferences. Good luck!)
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I buy Kirkland Organic Plain Soymilk in bulk from cosco. I just use it in cereal and oatmeal. I only drink water, diet tea, and diet lemonade.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I like rice milk. I used to enjoy soy milk but I've developed allergies towards nuts so I can't really drink it anymore. There is almond milk as well but that slightly bothers me as well now, so what I drink is rice milk.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I like rice milk. I used to enjoy soy milk but I've developed allergies towards nuts so I can't really drink it anymore. There is almond milk as well but that slightly bothers me as well now, so what I drink is rice milk.

Have you tried coconut milk? I like that as well, though it's higher in calories than almond.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I would not recommend going with soy milk but that's just me. I still drink milk and I also drink unsweetened almond milk.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Most of my sisters have problems with lactose intolerance. They swear by almond and rice milk.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Rice milk has a similar consistency to skim milk, so I use it in cereal. Almond milk consistency is closer to whole milk. Try all of them!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    For those who prefer almond milk, does anyone drink one that is not filled with a whole bunch of additional ingredients? I have an allergy to cows milk and I love the taste of almond milk, but I'm not thrilled with the additives that companies like Silk and Almond Breeze put in them. I know one can buy unsweetened, but even that has additional things. I've taken to making my own, but I'm wondering if anyone has found an almond milk on the market that is made of just almonds (and water)...or at least natural ingredients...
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I would not recommend going with soy milk but that's just me. I still drink milk and I also drink unsweetened almond milk.

any reasons for not going with soy? or just is it preference?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm deathly allergic to coconuts, so no coconut milk for me!!! I like the blue diamond chocolate almond milk the best.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have several food allergies and dairy is one of them. I found Almond Milk to my favorite replacement. I have even drank it by the cup, not just used in cereal. It is very low in calories too. I usually by the vanilla unsweetened kind.

I have also used rice milk, but not as much as the almond.

Good luck.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! I put it in my coffee in the morning and it tastes like a treat! I don't really drink milk much because I'm lactose intolerant, so I sort of moved away from it when I was younger...I'm allergic to soy milk.
  • whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My son and I switch up milks every once in awhile to keep it interesting.

*Almond Milk Unsweetened- We both didn't like this and because of it didn't go back and give regular a chance
    *Silk- We both liked but it didn't taste as cold as cow's milk in cereal
    *Lactose Fat Free- This is our current try and it tastes great
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened almond milk 35 cals for a cup so creamy and good :)
  • emperatrix
    emperatrix Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk best (can't drink soy because of health issues, but it's a good one too). All take some getting used to because of the difference in texture and taste when compared to cow's milk.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Almond milk
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options

any reasons for not going with soy? or just is it preference?

The arguments against soy are, for the most par,t unsubstantiated myths. :flowerforyou: Be sure to try different brands if you don't like the flavour of one - some companies do a better job than others of taking that 'beaniness' out of it. :wink: I prefer it over almond milk because it has a decent protein content (6g/cup which compares quite reasonably to 1% milk's 9g/cup).
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I started drinking soy lattes just because I like the flavor. Oddly enough, soy is great in coffee.