What is the BEST milk replacement

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    No soy for me because of thyroid disease.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Recipe for almond milk:

1 cup raw, whole almonds
    3 cups water

Soak almonds overnight in small amount of water. Drain off water. Rub each almond to remove brown skin. Blend almonds with a small amount of water at high speed until they reach a smooth consistency. After blending, add water to reach desired thickness. Then, strain through a fine strainer or 2 layers of cheesecloth. You can sweeten but if you use fresh almonds, you might find you don't need to.

105.3 calories per serving
    4g protein
    3.6 carbohydrates
    1.9g fiber
    9.2g total fat
    .7g saturated fat
    0.0mg cholesterol
    5.1mg sodium

I plan on trying this this week.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try the almond milk, I like creamier textures in my oatmeal! I'll look for lactaid but it was like $6 for a half gallon at our tiny grocercy store. I think our whole family needs to switch over but to get them to try it I'd probably have to put it in a regular milk jug haha!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Silk coconut milk seems to have the best nutrition, based on what I've seen. 80 cals a serving and 45 calcium.
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond

I never drink it by the glass but it's what I use in smoothies, coffee, etc...

My kids' pediatrician kinda turned me off of all milk and milk substitutes. I try to keep our consumption at a minimum.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Silk Original Coconut Milk. It has a smoother consistency than soy and almond milks and it tastes great!! I also really like hemp milk, but it's a little pricier that other milk alternatives.
  • eagle_01
    Options
    Kara Coconut Milk.
    Also like Hemp milk
    I stay away from soya due to it's estrogen inducing properties
    May try to make my own Almond milk Thanks hollin40
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting a Fat Free Skim Milk for you to use. You said you used to drink but the kids dont go for it. So maybe pick up a half for you and try iy out see if you can take it, Its worth a shot.
  • jemmott223
    jemmott223 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nutrionally and taste wise I like Blue Diamond Original Almond Breeze Milk. 1 cup will give you 60 calories, 2.5g total fat, 0 colesterol, 180mg Potassium, only 7g sugar, 1g protein, Vitamin A 10%, Calcium 45%, Iron 4%. It doesn't taste bad either. You can also try the vanilla flavored Almond Milk.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I use Vanilla or Chocolate for drinking and unsweetened for smoothies and cooking.

This <3 Love the Almond Breeze Vanilla 90 calories :)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    for me it would have to be
    Kara milk replacement loaded with calcium and very low in calories
    if I cant get that I got for oatly oat based milk substitute

dont remember the last time I had cows milk
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I won't touch soy as I won't touch rapeseed / canola oil, for myself because of how much of the seed supply for those at least is GMO and the original uses of the oil, not a food worthy item.

Just because I won't touch it doesn't mean others shouldn't / can't choose to.

But when I'm having a milk replacement instead of whole milk it's hemp milk or almond milk.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I like Blue diamond or Silk almond milk. I always got the original for cooking with or the vanilla for my cereal! MMM! SO GOOD!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend going with soy milk but that's just me. I still drink milk and I also drink unsweetened almond milk.

any reasons for not going with soy? or just is it preference?

The arguments against soy are, for the most par,t unsubstantiated myths. :flowerforyou: Be sure to try different brands if you don't like the flavour of one - some companies do a better job than others of taking that 'beaniness' out of it. :wink: I prefer it over almond milk because it has a decent protein content (6g/cup which compares quite reasonably to 1% milk's 9g/cup).

http://www.endo-resolved.com/soy.html

For women with endometriosis (like myself), eating soy is basically flooding the body with additional estrogen, which is the very thing that feeds endometriosis.
    Two isoflavones found in soy, genistein and daidzen, the same two promoted by the industry for everything from menopause relief to cancer protection, were said to ‘demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid’.That last sentence is rather important for women with endometriosis.

This statement is based off of several studies.
    Soy contains compounds that block the absorption of needed nutrients like zinc and will disable enzymes your body needs to access other nutrients. It directly blocks thyroid function and protein absorption. Many people are allergic to soy products, and women who are extremely sensitive to estrogens of any kind may react negatively to them.

I can eat pretty much any meat, eggs, all dairy products, and drink caffeine. But if I eat something that has soy in the first 3-5 ingredients, I am doubled over in pain for days.

:flowerforyou:
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Almond milk--I love unsweetened vanilla! It is big on calcium. (I just wish it had more protein) Almond milk is the only non-milk milk I ever liked:)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am on the almond milk train as well. I had been drinking soy milk for years, then I discovered almond milk and have never looked back. It is freaking amazing. If you are a Costco member, they sell it there way cheaper than at the grocery store.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I would not recommend going with soy milk but that's just me. I still drink milk and I also drink unsweetened almond milk.

The arguments against soy are, for the most par,t unsubstantiated myths. :flowerforyou: Be sure to try different brands if you don't like the flavour of one - some companies do a better job than others of taking that 'beaniness' out of it. :wink: I prefer it over almond milk because it has a decent protein content (6g/cup which compares quite reasonably to 1% milk's 9g/cup).

Thanks for the clear up. I've read in a few places that it could mess with hormones and/or cause your body to not absorb nutrients right, but I only use 1/2 a cup a day in my morning cereal or oatmeal, so I assume I'm okay. I've tried all different brands and honestly all of the plain ones taste the same to me, so now I go with what is cheapest.
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Any almond, soy, rice or coconut milk.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We love Almond Breeze. unsweetened! original, vanilla, or chocolate.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

http://www.endo-resolved.com/soy.html

For women with endometriosis (like myself), eating soy is basically flooding the body with additional estrogen, which is the very thing that feeds endometriosis.
    Two isoflavones found in soy, genistein and daidzen, the same two promoted by the industry for everything from menopause relief to cancer protection, were said to ‘demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid’.That last sentence is rather important for women with endometriosis.

This statement is based off of several studies.
    Soy contains compounds that block the absorption of needed nutrients like zinc and will disable enzymes your body needs to access other nutrients. It directly blocks thyroid function and protein absorption. Many people are allergic to soy products, and women who are extremely sensitive to estrogens of any kind may react negatively to them.

I can eat pretty much any meat, eggs, all dairy products, and drink caffeine. But if I eat something that has soy in the first 3-5 ingredients, I am doubled over in pain for days.

:flowerforyou:

HOLY COW! No pun intended! Mine got so bad(along with the fibriods) I had to have a hysterectomy! I thought it was age that was making it worse, I did not correlate my transition into being a vegetarian and eating more soy to laying on the sofa for 3 days straight in so much pain I could not even walk. Thanks so much for this information. I do not eat as much soy as I used to, basically because I discovered Quorn products and almond milk but it will be helpful when talking to others that have that dreaded disease.